1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EAST SCOTLAND COD FISHING TRIP

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Oct 18, 2008.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well Just returned from a trip north of the border to fish around the Arbroath Angus area of East Scotland, Its a rock cod anglers paradise with mile after mile of rough cod fishing ground, We have been lucky in the past to sample some great fishing sessions from this area, but still feel we have only just scratched the surface of what is an awesome coastline, some of the local rods have told me of some unbelievable sessions and some massive shore caught cod, which keeps me hungry and keeps me returning time after time, hopeing to catch that 20lb+ cod.....

Winter fishing is best when the wind is comeing from a NE/E/SE direction which lifts the sea, unlike a N/NW which is a land wind and the Northerly ground swell runs further out to sea and misses the coastline, a strong Southerly can also put an edge on in some spots, and then the fishing can be hectic i have only sampled this in the winter a couple of times myself but have enjoyed some good action one session gave me 17 cod for over 70lb in a 4hr session with fish to 12lb, its an area which can produce good fish all through the year due to the nature of the ground and it has produced two 14lb fish and a few more in and around the 10lb mark for us in the summer...

Some pic's from our latest trip, the conditions were far from idilic for autumn/winter cod fishing with flat calm sea's and clear water it was more suited to summer cod fishing or kayaking, but we still managed to find a few fish....

[​IMG]

A cod from Rumness.

[​IMG]

Big Cliff with a small ling.

[​IMG]

Al's freind Gordon Hardwick with an Arbroath cod..

[​IMG]

A pair of Cod taken at Auchmithie.

[​IMG]

A codling taken at Prail Castle..

[​IMG]

Al with a Rumness codling..

[​IMG]

Most of the cod were returned to fight another day only one or two deepley hooked fish were taken for tea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wrasse were also caught..

[​IMG]

The best fish of the trip..

[​IMG]

Although the fishing was far from its best due to the summer like conditions, we couldn't really complain too much with our catches, one session i managed 3 cod for 19lb 9oz best fish went 8lb 8oz, the fishing should only get better in the coming months and if the wind turns into the East it would be definately worth a trip up...

Waiting for a bite at first light..

[​IMG]

Autumn Sky's..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few marks worth a try for anyone thinking of having a go.

Arbroath Harbour

Can be a very good mark during rough weather..

[​IMG]

Arbroath Cliffs Are about a mile north of Arbroath harbour and can fish during rough weather but is best fished on a dropping sea some spots on the cliffs you will be fishing into 40ft of water, but care must be taken as a few anglers have drowned here in the past, so its best not to venture on to the lower ledges during heavy sea's..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Diel's head..

[​IMG]

Auchmithie can be fished from the beach during rough weather or from the rocky skeers during calm spells..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cod can be taken from the weed spots alongside Auchmithie harbour in calm conditions..

Boddin Point

[​IMG]

Cod can be taken during calm conditions from the kelp in front of the old lime kiln..

The north side of Boddin point can be fished in rough weather from the rocks and beach..

[​IMG]

Bait and Tackle

During summer and early autumn in calm conditions, fresh or frozen crab is good bait..

[​IMG]

During the winter in rough conditions various baits including worm, razorfish, mussel, squid are worth useing, some of the locals use Mackeral.

Most of the ground is heavy so a heavy beach rod with a 7000/9000 size reel with 30lb-40lb line..

TIGHTLINES..... :happy:

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

What a superb post Gary, awesome fishing up there, nice use of the camera as well.

Well done mate...I see the zzippy still not ready for the renovators yet

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Once again another fantastic post Gary with info and great pics not to mention the fish. Really enjoy reading them even though I,m slightly jealous!

4. Patterdale

Patterdale New Member

Fantastic pictures mate, and great fishing as well

well done :happy:

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

Brilliant report and pictures there gary , Glad you`s got into some good cod fishing . :yes:, see the chef him self was on tour with you`s ....great ,,,,, :wink: :happy:

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great report and fishing Gary,did Al tire you out this time?? Looks like dream stuff,would make a nice place for a retirement home... tight lines

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great report once again Gary. Ive been thinking of going up there for a couple of days soon I think that has made my mind up :yes:

do you know anywhere decent (and cheap) to stay up there?

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

great pics gary

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice One Gary. You lads get about a bit. How many times have you been to Scotland this year ? Although you say the waether wasnt on your side for the right conditions it seems you faired very well anyway. A really great report and pictures. I think a lot of people will now be considering this area for a summer holiday next year.

Sounds like you might take your kayak with you next year ??

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Brilliant report Gary, Sea Angler take note on how to do it!

11. newdave

newdave Guest

Great report & excellent pictures, not too sure about Abroath as a retirement home though smokey :no: what do you do when your not fishing ?

12. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

what a fantastic report, well done lads!!!!

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

well done mate great photo's as usual . :educated:they bring back some great memories of our trips up there in the past :happy:. i will defo be goung up next summer ,that has wet my appetite :canadian:.tell you what snapper dobson better watch out ,you'l be getting a call from mell russ :laugh: :laugh:

14. GJW

GJW Rockling

Thanks lads, it really is a pleasure reporting on our trips up to Scotland and i hope it might be useful info for others who might be thinking of heading up that way and maybe inspire some people to go and have a look further a field..

And yes Smokey,, Big Cliff walked the legs off me yet again, i really hope i am as fit at 65yrs but the way i feel i very much doubt it, think Als half man half mountain goat....haha

There is so much more to tell on spots but it would take me forever to write it all out and upload the pics, but if anyone is thinking of haveing a trip up that way, myself or Al (big cliff) would only be to happy to pass on more info on marks etc, although like i said before i still think there is many marks still to find and learn, as we have really only just scratched the surface..

It would be nice to spend the summer months over on the west coast of Scotland Bass and pollack fishing then move across to the east coast of Scotland for the winter Cod fishing..

Nice to see you are back fishing again Harry and you will have to join up with us for a few cod session over the next few months, and i think snapper's jobs still safe...haha

Tightlines

15. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Well done mate, some nice fish.

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A GREAT REPORT GARY, im knackered he has me worn out, as gary said conditions were more akin to summer fishing so we had to try slightly different tactics, ive been going up there for 12 years now and at times i still feel ive just scratched the surface, its a great coastline and most places you dont see another angler , mind you some of the places gary makes me go to , no wonder ! if you set your stall out , no matter what the conditions are you can usually catch some fish ----- a few times ive heard people talking as though if you just turn up at arbroath
    the fish climb into your bag, i wish, but just being in the area,and
    a bit of homework before you go, plus an OS map of the area, will all put you in good stead, and you should have a good time

17. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Another cracking weeks fishing by the looks of things Gary and I don't for 1 minute believe Al's as tired as he makes out,he's as fit as a lop!!!Once again you guys have done the biz on your travels and I wish I had managed to join you for a few days.I think your in the wrong job Gary mate as the reports you put on here put many in the angling mags to shame and as mentioned in a previous post they should take note.Al ( :educated:) your willingness to help other anglers and pass on your knowledge has to be experienced to be truly appreciated.Well done again on a first class report and here's to many more.

18. robq

robq Rockling

Great trip, pics and report lads !! going to have to get my finger out and have a trip up the east coast soon

19. rub a dub

rub a dub New Member

WOW thats some report.The pictures are brilliant. Im only new to fishing and can only dream catching fish like that. On my local forum here in dublin i have seen some great reports and pictures of bass been caught, but most of them care not to reveal their marks which does my head in but i also understand why they do this. This is the best report i've seen on any fishing forum and im sure there will be many who will benefit from your shore marks and tips. I wonder have i any lost relatives in Arbroath. :no:

20. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

great report and pics lads
    cheers ian