1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early season scaling dam

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by foo, Mar 10, 2009.

1. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Hiya all,Scaling opens at the weekend and I want to try and get a lot better at my new found fly fishing hobby before I go back to work next month.
    Did manage to catch my first wild brownie last year but never managed a rainbow at scaling apart from on bait.
    Does anyone have any tips on flies and lures for this early in the season for that water.
    I only use intermediate line and was also wondering what was best all round leader length.
    Thanks all.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

fish tend to be deeper early in the season so try a sinking line and any type of lure, black lures always used to do the business for me at this time of year but Ive not fished scaling for years. might have a go this weekend though.

bucko is your man for scaling

3. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

intermediate should be ok. The fish have been recently stocked( last week or so ) so any gaudy flies, fritz, catswhisker, dawsons olive should all get you some fish. fish them fast and erratically

ill be up on sunday. might see you there mate :happy:

4. bucko

bucko New Member

Like Fox and Gadget have said - Lures are probably your best option. Size 10 longshank jobs should do it. All the patterns mentioned will work but I personally like a bit of weight on the fly at this time of year, like a goldhead and I fish them as slow as possible with a figure of eight retrieve- That said, if the weather continues to be mild they could be up in the water a bit and small black stuff could work- like buzzers or small spiders.
    Shocking pink used to be an opening day killer colour up there but orange, olive, black, fluoro green and white lures will all work.
    As for leaders- its easy to get bogged down in fluorocarbons, tapered leaders, braided leaders of different densities etc but 9ft (or the equivalent of your rod length) of Maxima or suchlike will be fine- maybe shortened to 7-8ft if you're casting into the wind, which can often be where the fish shoal up and close in.

5. foo

Thanks lads, I appreciate the tips cheers.

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Just one more thing (I sound like Columbo)

I would focus on the 'corners' of the dam and any bays where there is a ledge or drop off.
    Hit them right in spots like that and you could be in for a cracking day.

7. bucko

bucko New Member

If you're still about on the afternoon lads make sure you catch a couple as I'm going to have a walk round to take some pics.

I have faith in both of you!!!!

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

giz a shout if you see me ian. ill be at the guisbro end of the dam probably :happy:

9. bucko

bucko New Member

Will do Dan- It'll be the afternoon so you should have at least a couple by then!

10. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

dont know, with my angling skills lol

11. steveevo

steveevo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

myself and rich are up monday, can give my fly fishing a first bash, look out every1 your not safe!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: :blindfold:

12. bucko

bucko New Member

Tell you what lads- as a little incentive and friendly competition whoever gets the biggest trout from Scaling by NEXT THURSDAY (take your camera) will get 10 goldhead lures from me to use the next time they're on there- 3 orange, 3 olive, 2 black and 2 lime & white (cats whisker).

The race is on.

13. foo

Nice one Bucko very generous mate.Watch out Dan comp is on.
    Might need some lessons with fly rod first though lol any offers ?

14. bucko

bucko New Member

If I bump into you I'll be happy to give you some pointers with regard to casting.
    Just cast with as much or as little line as you'e happy with. Aiming for the horizon isn't always the answer and the fish off the dam at Scaling are often very close in.
    Granted, long casting does sometimes have its benefits (Lockwood in a flat calm springs to mind when the fish have been cast over a lot, particularly off the dam wall) but its about having the fly in the water, not in the air.

15. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:cheesy: :cheesy:

ill give you a few tips if i see you mate :happy:

tightlines

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Just watch- you'll all get identical, almost carbon copy fish of the same weight!

17. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

1lb 8 oz probably. think i had 3 fish over that in 9 visits last season :happy:

18. foo

Will be happy just being fishing but really looking forward to my first fly caught rainbow

19. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

its mint when you get them on the fly. worth 10 on bait :happy:

20. steveevo

steveevo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thanks bucko old pal mite as well post them now, wer champion trout catchers, (thats the only thing i can catch) come onnnn! hope to see you guys ther monday. and no crying!!!!