1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early season cod From Tyneside.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Boro5707, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not posted for a while so thought it was about time I started posting again. Start of my 3rd winter exiled north of the Tyne. Sea lifted Wednesday so decided to pop out a mile up the road over low water to Whitley bay beach (notorious for fishing well when sea away early season).

Managed 12 in total, 4 lip hooked ones put back, lost 2 in the surf and could of had a few more. Biggest about 3 and a half pound. Weed was a pain but fish were there. Nice warm night, hardly any wind, really pleasant evening. Nice start to the season.

More Winter Cod Fishing Stories Here.

Attached Files:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Early season cod

ha, Well done mate. Lovely to see someone getting a few. What is it about the beach that makes it fish well. im assuming its not just a beach, but Mixed ground ??

3. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is mixed ground about a mile long, mixture of hard rock, sand, rocks and pebbles. Multiple marks all along, fish can sometimes be very localised, so payed to move about. It is protected all along the beach 100 metes off at low water by kelp beds. The Kelp beds in big seas (suspect) spit out the crabs/feed ect. And also the codling. North end of the beach is protected in a northerly by st mays island. Always fishes well early season in a big sea.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I seem to remember other people doing well here early season. Thanks for sharing your info and a bit of advice for others. Im sure they will appreciate it.

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice one Mark, off to a flyer mate :)

6. limpet

limpet Blenny

Nice result mark one of my favourite beaches early season too, had a go over HW north end last night but ended up moving, no sign of fish, much prefer it over low but was tied with match times

7. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good work, and nice info. too.
    Don't head up that way, but your description has formed a picture. Sounds a little like Cayton?

8. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great session, better to come.

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

That's a good session fishing Mark

10. nicky

nicky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great session Mark good sign for the coming months