1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Misso

Misso Blenny

Can anyone answer a simple qestion,.
    If we were to leave the E U what impact will it have on our fishers?
    Would it stop other E U members fishing within a radias of our shore lines?
    Like many I am still in the fence with this but this Topic could sway my vote

2. Misso

Misso Blenny

Fisheries

3. ivan

ivan Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Vote leave because them knobheads in Brussels will always have the final say on any decision that is made in our country especially if it benefits other members of the EU.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. craigrob

craigrob Blenny

I'll second that ivan, we as a country need to find our identity again and curb immigration......can't do either if were in the EUWWWW!.
    As for our fisheries, not too sure!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

The EU has destroyed our fishing fleet, the Spanish as soon as they became a member raped our seas right up the the low water mark with the biggest fishing fleet in the world at the time. Out is the only way to go imho. The EU tried just recently to get control of the sea bed right up to our high water mark but failed thank God. As the United Nations Law of the Sea states: “The exclusive economic zone shall not extend beyond 200 nautical miles from the baselines”. Yet Britain’s fishing rights have now been reduced by the EU to a mere 12 miles. The Common Fishing Policy (CFP) is the EU’s method of implementing pan-European laws on fishing and aquaculture. British and Irish waters actually account for 60 percent of the EU’s waters. To add salt to the wound, it is an embarrassing reminder the CFP did not exist until Britain joined the EU.
    This last piece was taken from the 'commentator'.
    In the Seventies, Britain and Greenland held around 80 percent of fish stocks. In comparison, nations such as France, Spain and Italy had destroyed stocks in the Mediterranean.
    With such a small population so reliant on one industry, Greenland saw no other option but to leave the EU. How is the nation doing now? Having ignored the scaremongers at the time, the islanders have found their average income on par with other rich Northern European states, and they have benefited from the lack of EU red tape.
    In addition, Greenland successfully negotiated favourable terms for their exit, and now enjoy favourable trade deals with the EU. If a nation of 57,000 can do it, why do we often hear that Britain, a nation of 65 million, cannot do the same? Enough said me thinks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Misso

Misso Blenny

Wow that's all I needed to hear thanks

7. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was reading something the other day, forgive me if it's incorrect....

We can only fish in 14% of our own waters, and we now officially import more fish than we export.
    will try n find the article

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. J.R.HARTLEY

J.R.HARTLEY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Watch brexit the movie on youtube

9. baldy1

baldy1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

vote to leave and be proud to be british the pound will become strong again just my thoughts

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

the Spanish as soon as they became a member raped our seas right up the the low water mark with the biggest fishing fleet in the world

remember in the 70,s kamberills? a fishing port near salou a dozen trawlers
    came back to offload,

best returns was a boat with @ box of hake & few octopus, the rest had poor
    returns, 4-handed crews on boats in my opinion not enough caught to pay for
    diesel etc.

probably crews on training exercise ready for re-tooled fleet awaiting trials
    to venture up to our coast.

Russian klondykers used to take all mackerel etc from Scottish boats as well
    as vaccuming up vast shoals, on the trawler documentary at Peterhead you

saw what one purpose built macky basher could do.

what has amused me is the ratio of fines given out to our "black fish"
    suppliers trying to make a living & deliberate abuse of foreign boats
    plundering /wasting both our fish n environment.

don't even start on bass, is that a uk directive or eu one?

consider all aspects for future fishing , because of that im

sorry to say "im out"

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

leave for me
    was amazed saw a prog on whitby the other day most of the chippies import the fish i was stunned

12. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'll be voting to stay in

13. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

If you're out you dont have a shout.Be careful what you vote for it aint as simple as immigration and fishing policies.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

15. MikeR

MikeR Blenny

Very true. Despite a number of issues that I really don't agree with, I firmly believe that we are better off IN, and that's what I'll be voting for.

16. Jethro1

Jethro1 New Member

I think the debate for leaving or staying has its merits on both sides. I for one though am being swayed to the leave side because of the scaremongering and downright lies being told by the government. I cant understand why Mr Cameron can appear on TV and babble out such crap as he did. He looked uneasy all the time he was on. Im voting out....

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. robq

robq Rockling

I,m torn due to the lack of solid factual information :confused:

I am concerned about the economic impact of leaving but I do believe a united Europe makes for a safer world

However, I will be voting out purely and selfishly because I believe we need to take control of our own fishery :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

im voting out for numerous reasons ,fishery policy,our jails and courts full of migrant crooks,bulgarian and romainians hammering our benefits system,cant get to see my gp at least a month waiting list ,hospitals abused by migrants that have never paid a penny in taxes,my grandaughters school has 60 romainian kids that can not speak english and recieve one on one teaching [what about our kids] whose parents HAVE paid into the system,
    i could spend hours on here typing reasons to leave the eu, the waste is horrendous,the eu has not once had its accounts passed off mainly because they are so corrupt and have pocketed billions of taxpayers cash just look at the kinnock family all on the eu gravy train well hopefully a vote out will scupper them but im sure they do okay with a nice fat pension to fall back on ,[which you the taxpayer will be paying.
    vote out, so much more than fishery policy but that will do for starters.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. cryo

cryo Blenny

The North sea was raped to extinction by the UK fishing fleets well before we joined the EEC this started with the herring followed by the Cod. The same Scottish East coast fishermen are now wrecking our and the Scottish West coast inshore hard ground for Scallops but they are very happy to have all of you blaming the continentals. Not that I am in any way defending the continentals as all commercial fishermen will fish any area to extinction if given the chance. Just ask any local inshore fisherman and he will give you the same answer when he finds his pots have been trawled away because the commercials don't give a toss about anybody but themselves. I think too many of you have been reading comics pretending to be newspapers.

Ken.

• Winner Winner x 1