1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones - Are they the future for the shore angler?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by quint, Aug 1, 2014.

1. smokey

smokey Rockling

Glenn was talking about using one for photography.

As for using one down a rock scar during a hooly in darkness, are you serious?

The lads who are talking about using them are thinking of using them in daylight, in the right conditions which will open up new options.

When you say people will not be able to control the drone and play a fish at the same time, you have completely missed the point of what a drone would be used for,it would only be used to "tow" the bait out to where you want it then released,it would take seconds to fly the drone back to shore.

2. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Use a bait boat same job

3. Sadung

Robson green extream fishing were using Kites in New Zealand

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Cant send that out in 15ft of swell.

5. Willy Eckerslike

Willy Eckerslike Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They used a Drone at the Flamborough Match

http://anglersafloat.proboards.com/thread/34570/flamborough-kayak-match-report-results

6. Pint

Pint FluffChuckers Rule

If your looking to use drones, best check out the UK Laws. It gets complicated and requires additional CAA licenses for certain things

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2014/07/04/use-personal-drones-legally-beginners-guide/

http://droneflight.co.uk/pages/summary-of-uk-legal-requirements

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/uk-first-drone-conviction

7. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Iain, when you first put this post on I was quite dismissive of the idea. Since then I've seen a lot more about these drones albeit mainly for photography and they are marvellous bits of kit.
    I was probably a bit hasty and my opinion has changed a bit now, I think you are right, we will probably see a bit more of these in the the coming years.
    I'm still not saying that they're for me though!!
    All the best, Ian.

8. Safc Liam

Safc Liam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not necessarily a drone but there was a bloke fishing the cliffs at hendon a few weeks back with a kite. He had designed a release mechanism to drop his bait when hed reached his distance, he reckons he was fishing at around 450 yards ;D

9. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There is a guy who uses a kite to tow his gear out at Hornsea every summer, he is on the other forum but cant remember his name, he flies it off the cliff top, and fishes at about 350-400 yards..
    Dont know how much he catches , I suppose it would be ok for going after Tope further down the coast .

Takes a while to get the gearout, then you have to get the kite back, and you are limited to offshore breezes.

Plus winding 350 yards of line in with a fish on the end wouldnt be for me anyway ! :eek:
    I would be cream crackered after 200 yards.

Roger.

10. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

Drones will have a place in the future no doubt,but I would like to see how someone would have faired using a drone stood next to Dave bielby on Tuesday in the cloughton match LoL

11. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Had the same thought's,think you would need a pretty sturdy reel and one that hold's plenty of line to drag a fish that distance, not saying it cant be done but I wouldn't fancy it myself,i'd also be worried about the lad's in speed boats/jet ski's flying round the corner just as your bait drop's..... :eek:

12. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good idea for dropping a bait

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Yeah Bill he would have faired as same as the guy in a kayak would in Jacksons bay in that sea during the night, hopeless - I hope you get my point!

14. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

Exactly Iain,they will have a place,but even in good condiontions some good anglers will have four fish out while techno man is still unpacking his drone, and as every angler knows fish don't usua!lly feed long,in and out wins matchs

15. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have been looking at these drones for a while, the DJI Phantom 2 Vison Plus. Would love to take one with me when I am the Charters to capture the action. I've been hinting to the Mrs for a while now and was hoping Santa might have brought me one................. I guess it must still be with City Link ???

16. Sadung

17. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

How many times do we get good conditions Bill? You need to get this techno geek vision out of your mind - these things are here and they will get cheaper and more advanced, they will also get more durable, the image you have of unpacking will not be true also, they will be very quick user friendly - I'm no "techno geek" myself, look at my phone and tv haha, but I'm absolutely convinced these drones will open up a whole new dimension to shore fishing, they may even encourage the youth to get sea angling, and we all must agree they are sadly sparse nowadays - armed with a GPS system, we will be able to stand on High Nab and put big squid baits on the local wrecks, think of that Bill instead of waiting for a bit of motion good enough for Jacksons!

18. rdngd

rdngd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Taking my new drone ( santa's boy's toy ) out to the Florida Keys next week as we start our fishing holidays back up after the holidays main reason is to try to get some cool videos of boat, angler, fish all in frame and to follow some of our more acrobatic fish such as tarpon, sailfish and spinner shark. Also want to try using it to drop live baits on those annoying fish which are just out of casting range by use of a quick release clip that we use when kite fishing I am sure it will work, keep an eye on blog www.fishthedream.co.uk

19. GJW

GJW Rockling

I certainly think Drones will have a place in fishing, but not in every situation... No man can physically cast a bait 450yrds so if distance is the key to catching and fishing is not going to be hectic, the man who can put a good bait out furthest will obviously be at an advantage.. One situation I can think of, were a drone would of been handy for me, was shark fishing abroad, trying to get a decent size fish bait out a good distance into a head wind with a decent surf coming at you is almost impossible, especially when trying to cast a big reel and heavy mono capable of handling a big Shark. A drone carrying a good fish bait over the breaking surf would of been the key..Without the drone forced me to use smaller baits and lighter lines and smaller reels to get a bait were i needed it, which resulted in some good Sharks hooked but lost, a Drone carrying my bait out would of allowed me to fish much heavier and maybe stood more of a chance of landing them Big Shark..

20. gtcharlton

gtcharlton Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I belive drones will become more and more common not just in fishing but all areas but it dose ask the question what other ways are there to become more productive and catch more and are there easer and cheaper ways such as kayaks and flote tubes.