1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones - Are they the future for the shore angler?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by quint, Aug 1, 2014.

1. J.R.HARTLEY

J.R.HARTLEY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am not a skeptic but i think 1. I dont think casting a large bait over 400 yds with a rod and reel will ever be doable 2.defo not but not sure what the delivery system will be 3. No his mates would not have wound him up because it was a matter of survival in them days not angling for fun. :D

2. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I wouldn't be bothered about buying one for ordinary beach and rock fishing but if it's possible for me to use one to catch a mackerel then put it back out live baited from the shore to catch tope off the beach then I'm in the queue , I would absolutely love one for just that one thing . They are talking about delivering pizzas and parcels with them in the future so a live mackerel will be no bother . Real Shark fishing from the beach will become the norm wow ! Now that's exiting isn't it ?..

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Hmmmm. I can see both points of view. Yes we have got to move with the times but do we really need to be fishing at ranges of 500yds or more ? Not to mention the trouble we would have recovering a lead from that distance over broken ground and kelp beds. The idea is sound to get the distance but the recovery may well be a little more difficult.
    To simplify things if just such a scenario were ever to come into practice this type of fishing must surely have to be renamed catching ;)

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

I really like the idea, and think something along these lines will be the future in long distance fishing from the shore.. Obviously things need tweaking and improvements made, but like Iain I am sure it wont be too many years until we see these Drones carry a bait further out to sea than even the best casters can possibly dream of... Come on designers hurry up...... 8)

5. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Christ that's brilliant Dave, no doubt now this is the future, I can even see it been used commercially setting long lines, I was curious before but after seeing these clips I need to research more plus how do I go about securing a licence so I get a cut of all future sales LOL

6. quint

Don't need a lead Foo mate just an old stone off Big Cliff, snap it off on strike and wind that big cod in

7. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

And when Clive Sinclair invented the Sinclair C5 everyone thought 'What a load of bollocks, it'll never catch on' - and the rest is history.

History is full of examples of this kind of thing. Seemingly great ideas that in reality never really take off.

My guess is that drone fishing will become just a very small cult niche in the sport for the anoraks rather than the norm for the majority.

8. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

[/quote]

Don't need a lead Foo mate just an old stone off Big Cliff, snap it off on strike and wind that big cod in
    [/quote]

Ha ha ha ha, now that idea I do like

9. Pony

Pony Yorkshire karma. It s called come uppence

10. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys reading this post with interest however I think wurling props mixed with braid mainline and wind and take offs just dont look viable and I would probably a tad pissed off winding in a pin whiting over a mile lol but hey never say never me personally I would buy a bag of the biggest balloons(the ones they fill with rice at fairs) on an offshore blow and some soluble string!! Simples!!

11. idge

idge Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Use a paperclip to attach a balloon and strike it off when it reaches the required distance . I have used this for pike fishing 35 years ago.

Ian

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

13. quint

Interesting - will drones have a place in angling?

http://news.sky.com/story/1326503/google-launches-delivery-drones-in-video

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I saw that yesterday Ian. I understand Amazon are doing the same

15. quint

Yes Glenn, 2 forward thinking giants Amazon and Google realize the potential, also I find all the negative comments actually show these drones are going to take centre stage in the future

Are you not interested in them for photos Glenn? looking at some of the adverts the scope for photography is immense, taking it to a new level, you could take some real stunning fishing shots

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

You re not wrong regarding the photography potential Iain.
    The stability of the drones is awesome!
    Last year when I was playing about with the kite fishing ideas, I strapped a micro video camera under the kite on a picavet cradle and sent it up around 300 metres, ( I had 1000m of 100 braid as kite line)but I daren t send it any higher as it was a risk if it came down with braid across roads etc, but at 300 m up the shots were amazing. I had some footage from a field in hedon that looked down on the top of saltend cooling towers and across the Humber.
    The wind and kite movement though was a nightmare for camera shake at Times.

On a drone though with the smooth flight the photo potential is jaw dropping B-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes mate Im looking at one for photography, But Im still not sold on the idea 100% I saw the images of Stonefishes Kayak match the other day and they look very underexposed, Im also told its hard to position the drones. Was speaking to Dan and his friend has one and he was flying it over a yaucht to film it. When he got the vidoe out the camer he found out he hadnt been over the yacht at all depsite his eyesite telling him he was.

I'm looking at a dgi Phantom 2 and a go pro hero mark 3.

18. quint

Yes the dgi phantom seems a popular model

could also come in handy on club nights, makes the bags of sand and sheaves of grass redundant

19. smokey

smokey Rockling

There's ways around the positioning side of it Glenn.

I've seen a few programmes using them in conjunction with a tablet/phone.

They were using an iPad to control the drone as well as having a live picture feed to the iPad as well,I think one of em was on the gadget show.

20. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fair do's but how do you go on flying one at night off the end of the rock scaur when its blowing a hooly and your getting washed off by the tide? Does it have a light on it so you can see where it is in the sky? And if your flying it by looking at a live picture feed and your on your own with only 2 hands how do you go on when you suddenly get a good fish on while its still airborne?!
    I know they can fly themselves and land on their own but i just think in winter its more often than not a struggle just to fish well let alone worry about trying to fly something with your thick gloves on.

Maybe in summer down the Holderness coast or something i can imagine. But i think when it becomes all the range people will just end up complaing so and so only caught more fish than me cos he had a better drone!

Or reports on here in a few years time... "Still can't believe it!, yeah was a real good fish. Definitely have won the match if i hadn't of been distracted when my drone crashed!" ???

hmm and would drone caught fish count?!