1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones - Are they the future for the shore angler?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by quint, Aug 1, 2014.

1. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I predict that within 10/15 years drones will be used by the shore angler to get their baits out at long range, thus vastly improving their catch rate, they will even be controlled with GPS systems providing pin point presentation

Any thoughts? :eek:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=drones+for+sale&tbm=shop

2. waynethered

waynethered Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

More fun with a kayak 8)

3. J.R.HARTLEY

J.R.HARTLEY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

quint i can see where you are coming from i think fishing rods will be a thing of the past and things will move on i think rods and reels and casting styles are at their limits now at the end of the day a human being can only put a bait out so far due to his strenth, after that technoligy will take over, look at the carp anglers taking baits out 300 M on a remote controlled boat an interesting thread :D

4. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I know a carper who uses one for finding carp on big waters ,he's got a few videos on YouTube and he's in the process of gearing one up to drop a hook bait . I've told him this could be the holy grail of sea fishing and change things forever . I saw the news coverage about them last week and that made my mind up , it's only a matter of time before we see the first sea angler with a bait out 500 meters minimum with the help of a drone .were going to need some good big reels to keep up with this technology but I think it's coming !

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

Bad idea Iain,ask Jeremy, he had to fish one out of the harbour about 10 days ago haha
    Someone had been filming up at the castle and apparently it lost control,straight into the harbour nearly cleaning someone up,jezza got a quick earner diving for it ;)

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Lol that's mint Iain. Could you imagine the discussions at the club agms when they discuss banning them.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk 2

7. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Why not!!!

kites are used to get a bait out further. So why not a drone ?

500m + of line, Weight and bait hanging from the drone and would have an adverse effect on the handling but possible I guess

8. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Based on this idea and the way technology can be adapted it's also not out of the question to fish from the comfort of your own home in front of the TV or computer. Simply fly your drone to the coast, kitted out with a drop line and electronic fish finder, gps, web cam etc. When your drone arrives over your chosen spot, just release your line and tune into Coronation street whilst you wait for a fish to take. In the event of blanking you can send your drone to the chippy on the way home. All this without leaving the luxury of your arm chair.

I would rather stick red hot needles in my eyeballs!

9. quint

Same here Corries garbage

It may sound quite out of this world now but I'm willing to give anybody 10/1 that within 15 years it will be happening, and in quite a big way too, major tackle manufacturers will be researching the concept right now I guess, I've said it before on here years ago about kite fishing that the man that can invent a system that can transport baits from the shore well out to sea would be a rich man, and part of that system has arrived

10. quint

Haha, If there's any cash to be made from the sea Jeremy will suss it, bet he's started up a business already "Robinson's Drone Recovery Service"

11. waynethered

We,ve already got a system which takes your bait out as far as you want it to,it will carry weights as big as house bricks,will tow your line for miles even if its 10mm thick,and its already got gps and fishfinder built in.and it can even serve drinks and food,now just let me think what its called.think its called a charter boat, ;D

12. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

frankie's gonna be pissed off now,he's just bought a fixed spool ;D

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

14. quint

Great Dave, loved the way it went through the waves/swell

Drones won't be expensive in the future, you'll pull it out of your bag, turn it on, clip your rig on, and it will take your rig and drop it where you want, probably from your phone, you'll then be able to put the track taken and fish caught on facebook, if you wish

@Waynetherd, I'm talking about shore fishing

15. waynethered

I know,ime still pissed lol

16. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Personally to me this is not what angling is about.
    The years of experience and the skill you build up over the years.
    The satisfaction of catching fish with the tackle you personally made.
    Just the feeling of sea and all its moods you experience.
    This is why the commercial fishing industry is cleaning out the seas.
    The technology they have on-board gives them the means to overfish the stocks.

17. Pint

Pint FluffChuckers Rule

Already possible to do now with a Drone DIY kit for £500.00. Has a full Pixhawk autopoilot system with GPS navigation so can take off and land automatically and also has posibility of a servo release mechanism for cargo release which could be your bait. If it goes out of range of the receiver when manually controlling it is intelligent enough to return home by itself. Drones are now reality even though the law on drones in the Uk is still "woolly". £500.00 is a lot of money if one ditches in the sea though. RC Helicopters with cargo release have been out for a few years now but had limited battery life and range, the drones appear more efficient and intelligent :eek:

18. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Iain,
    This is only my opinion and I'm talking about my type of fishing but I can't possibly see an application for them.
    If we're talking purely distance then I can comfortably cast as far as I need to in fact most of the time it's possible to cast too far.
    I can imagine, say Whitley beach in winter blowing a hooly, moving up the beach fishing the holes as the tide uncovers them, sometimes fifty or sixty yards is too far to cast.
    Maybe in daylight on shallow beach marks.....maybe......but it's not fishing is it?

Regards Ian

19. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

i love this post, as im a massive tech fan and same for fishing, i like the look of the cannons what they use in america but they look to much hassle wouldnt like carrying all the gear,

20. limpet

limpet Blenny

i'd have to agree with you there ian, if things got so desperate that you needed one to catch fish i'd probably give up!