1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Figure Cod Uptiding On Sea- Otter 2 - And New Port Record Spotted Ray

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

First break in the weather for a little while plenty of cod today the best just onces under 11lb plus a rod caught port record spotted ray on rod and line a full report later.

The best fish of the day this lovelly cod a personal best for this man .

A lovelly day at sea yesterday cold in the morning but turned out a nice day and plenty of fish as wellwhat more can you ask .

lines in and this mans rod was stright over.

[​IMG]

An humpydumpty cod short in the tail big body.

[​IMG]

Mr cowling has a hell of a day his rod was over most of the day.#

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This man got a right bend in his rod.

[​IMG]

And yes this brute a lovelly fish just under 11lb

[​IMG]

Then he loses a fish to sammy the seal then another and just gets the head of the fish back.

[​IMG]

Then he manages to get another nice fish.

[​IMG]

And this an usual fish comes aboard a 4lb 8oz spotted ray and new port record they only had 2 of these in all the years i have been chartering plenty of thornbacks the british record is over 8lb .

[​IMG]

The fish keep coming steady

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lads at the end of the day with a few of there fish they did well.

[​IMG]

paul.

Attached Files:

2. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Re: Double Digure Cod Uptiding On Sea- Otter 2 And New Port Record Cuckoo Ray

Out again today more of the same hoprfully.

paul.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Double Figure Cod Uptiding On Sea- Otter 2 - And New Port Record Cuckoo Ray

Keep the reports coming Paul, great stuff. I saw you yesterday, right on the ground edge. No wonder you picked that Ray up. Hopefully some of them for the kayakers this spring.

4. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I wonder if ya change ya tactics. I.e.rigs bait species like these rays ect would be a more common catch. ? How do you get along on the kayaks glenn where other specics are concerned. ?

cod help me !

5. Baramundi Bob

Apparently you dont know your Rays.

https://www.facebook.com/WhitbySeaAnglers/posts/653105614736206

6. Baramundi Bob

Masses of species out there Perry. Its just having the time and patience to do it.

7. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Oh dear :eek:

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The two rays glen had 2 large spots on there backs i have only had 2 of these similar rays in over 25 years of chartering both this winter quite a few thornbacks upto 12lb one of the lads onboard said back in november when we had the first one it was cuckoo ray i took his word when you look at the two spots on its back the first one probably was but this ray does have more small spots but still the record is 8lb so not a bad sized ray on that scale of things and i havent heard of anybody else catching one here .

9. Baramundi Bob

The first one was a cuckoo Paul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Baramundi Bob

Funny how more are showing up. Is it because your on the ground edge ?

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The first one glen was on the rock top glen which was the cuckoo ray but you do gets patches of sand on there which gets swept out of the bay on a big flood tide or a big swell and the spotted ray the ground where it came from has sand either side of it and it is very narrow patch of hard ground i did cast right on the edge of the ground when i caught it there are so many different species to be caught out there .

paul.

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Cancelled today for the strong wind forecast but 2 were allready. Staying in Whitby so this morning I turned out and it wasn't to be for wind and yet another suprize on the ray front this time a thornback ray the a lesser spotted dogfish and then next Avery small ling codlings and whiting we're coming aboard .

13. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Here is the picture of today's thornback .
    [​IMG]

And the lesser spotted dogfish

[​IMG]

Back in today just before lunch as the wind freshened .

Paul

Attached Files:

14. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

Thornback Rays (Skate) are caught down here off the Essex coast in good numbers to 10lb, from march - October. A fresh Herring or mackerel fillet is the preferred bait.
    Most of these are caught on sandy seabeds, which are in abundance in this area. I'd wager that if a Whitby charter boat targeted this species during the Summer months on a similar terrain, the results would be an eye opener.
    Mind you, skinning them (like Dogfish, we sell them as Rock Eel down here) is an art in itself!

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

There is stacks of marks tony to hit for rays here at whitby but as usual dureing the summer months the bulk of the anglers visiting whitby are mad on catching the elusive cod .

paul.

16. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'd be very happy to know of a charter targeting rays,

17. I'd be very happy to know where loads of MArks are !!?? I am not just interested in Cod

Cheers

U