1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Figure Bass

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by kevinh, Aug 12, 2011.

1. kevinh

kevinh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

For the past 3 years i've dedicated most of my spare time on plugging for bass, with the hope of landing a fish near double figures on a plug. I've studied tides, weather, baitfish and moon phases , I think I was getting obsessed with this type of fishing.

I recently ordered a tackle house feed shallow 128 mullet shallow diving lure after spending most of my time on the surface poppers and not having caught fish on a shallow diver, I thought I need to put some time into using these lures. This was followed by a few blanks, many more than previous years... I was starting to get a bit frustrated!!

On Tuesday night myself and a mate decided to head to some marks a lot further than we have previously fished to see if a change of venue would do the trick. We fished from high water down and after about 2 hours with not even an offer, I started to make my way along the shore trying different areas.
    Then suddenly I got this almighty thud, followed by the scream of my drag and a well bent greys prowler 12ft rod, my drag seemed a bit tight so I went to slacken off a bit but accidently hit the anti reverse, this nearly broke my knuckles. I managed to get about ten yards of line back, then it took off again taking another 30 yards of line or so. This happened a few times and when it broke the surface I could see it was a decent fish. After about 5 minutes I could see it was getting tired and starting to stay on the surface, so I had to wade back about 30 yards while playing the fish to get to the shore and could see a seal homing in on my catch.
    Eventually i got into shallow enough water to grab the bottom lip with my lip grippers, it wasn't until I started to lift the fish when I realised its shear size. Once secured i took it to the shore to remove the hooks but could see it was bleeding underneath where one of the trebles had caught it. Once the plug was removed and a quick picture (on the phone, so didn't turn out great) we weighed it using the scales on lip grippers and it weighed 12lbs 10oz then it was taken back to the water.
    Unfortunately as it was bleeding and wouldn't revive enough to swim away I had to take it home. By the time I got home it was nearly 1am but i still woke up my wife to come down stairs to take a picture of my prize catch!!!

Catch - Bass
    Shore
    Weight - 12lb 10oz
    Rod - Greys Prowler 12ft
    Reel - Shimano olivia loaded with 20lb braid
    Lure - Tackle House Feed Shallow 128 (mullet)
    Weather - Overcast
    Tide - Ebb

I'm still buzzing after catching something I have dedicated so much time and effort into but gutted it would't go back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

That's a belter mate very well done

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

4. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Class fish mate the obsession's paying off :laugh:

5. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Brilliant mate. Stuff of dreams

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Is this the mull fish that Alan was talking about ?

7. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

That's a dream catch. Well waiting for. Well done

8. potholer

potholer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fish of a life time all your hard work has paid off,Well done bud on your excellent catch

9. steph

steph Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done big pat on the back,thats one hell of a fish cant wait till i get one half that size,we fish the same as you tides,moons etc and study ,well worth the three years of obbsession

10. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    Congratulations on such a fantastic fish, well deserved too. Didn't you also get a big bass a couple of years ago from when fishing on the boat "On yer Marks" ?
    Fantastic fishing Kevin.

Regards Ian

11. GJW

GJW Rockling

What can I say Kevin a truly magnificent fish and very well deserved. I know how much time you have put into bass lure fishing and now you have reaped the rewards with a lovely fish.

Can't believe just the other day when I said to you there will be a double with your name on it. :happy: But I didn't expect one to come along so soon after saying it. Maybe Lee was using his black magic again... :surprise: Think he's put a curse on my lures though... :embarrass: :embarrass:

I am up the Mull later today Kevin so maybe we might bump into you and congratulate you in person. If I catch one half the size a will be very happy indeed.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures with us Kevin.

Hope there is now one with my name on it... :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Tightlines

Gary

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

What a superb result. Very well done and congratulations, splendid stuff.

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Kevin cracking fish Superb tightlines Alain

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

Welll done. Thats one hell of a fish mate.

15. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Seem's like you've put a lot of time and effort into your fishing,a very just reward mate,superb fish..mick.

16. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Well done Kev on a superb fish,after all those hours you have put in you have eventually got the fish you were after and richly deserved :educated: :educated: :educated:

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

fish of a lifetime Kev, well done :yes:

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Its all been said Kevin but once more what a fantastic catch , a superb Bass , you have put the time and effort in and been rewarded in
    the best possible way :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

19. andym

andym Rockling

Cracking fish! well done

20. dizzyfish

dizzyfish Have it !

That is a superb fish - well done, and well deserved by the sound of it. Wouldn't worry about the lack of return - better you eat it, than the seal, which is probably what would have happened if it had been returned injured.