1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dorado 11 first outing & christening with cod poo

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Dec 23, 2008.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

Having received the new baby last week I have been itching to get it on the water, I have been over it with a fine toothcomb and cant find a fault with this one Simon :wink:

looking at the forecast at the weekend it looked like today could be the day, much to Marions annoyance i spent yesterday getting the yak ready to go instead of fixing stuff & getting ready for christmas :whistle:

The main task that Rob & the worm touched on was to get the GPS/fishfinder fitted & the anchor trolley tuned to my preference. not to mention working out were to put stuff ?.

having mulled the possible alternative methods i made the decision & cut my first hole in it followed by a few self tappers. I will put some photos on later as whilst i am not saying its the best or only way to do the job it seems a good compromise between having a lot of cable exposed & causing major damage to the yak. I will post more detail on this as it may help others to decide how they want to do it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for how to use the space i though it would be a good idea to chuck everything on & find out what works.

I am lucky that there is one other forum member as daft as me so arranged to meet Ken at Runswick at 09:00

my first senior moment of the day was leaving the camera on the kitchen table so i apologize for the lack of pictures, fortunately ken had his phone so will be posting a few later :yes:
    The weather was cracking for the time of year bright sunny & mild. and setting off across the Bay although there was a fair ground swell the water surface was like glass, just a steady paddle stroke & the gps was telling me we were going 4.5kts, that terminal velocity with a tail wind for the the p13 :yes: even better was the glide you get when you stop paddling. Ken is probably the best technical kayaker among us, but i was slowing down so we stayed together.

We got to our mark around fillet tail & i chucked the anchor in & moored up, ken tied up to me and we settled down for a pleasant few hours uptiding in the Sun. this is where you pay back for the Dorados performance as it is not the armchair comfort of the p13 & turning around for your gear in the crate is difficult as is sitting side saddle, it can be done but i found it better to just stay in the normal position & periodically stretch a leg. due to the neap tide fishing was slow, we had 3 each with my best at just over 6lb. picked the anchor back up at HW slack and headed back.

one other thing to note with my second senior moment, somehow i forgot to deploy the anchor before i chucked it in, even with all 4 points still folded the anchor shank held both of us in position and never moved, I have said before that i believe its more important to get plenty of warp out then whats on the bottom, there was a good 3m ground swell :yes:

summing up, I was really impressed with the performance, as with all things there are downsides in terms of comfort but i have a few plans to better organize myself better that will mean all my ready use stuff is stored in the fish hatch.

2. robq

robq Rockling

Nice to see you lads not giving in to the family responsibilities on the 22nd dec :surprise: :surprise: good to hear of a few fish too on crap tides !!

The yak looks nice in all orange dave :cool: :cool:

Still not sure what I am putting where yet but will probably opt for simons method of mounting the F/F. After having a sit in mine in the garden the other day it is apparent that it ill not be as comfy as the prowlers but I suppose that is one of the trade offs for performance and speed !!

Did you use the Fishbox for fish Dave ?? I dont think I will be , probably keep it free for rods and tackle

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Glad to hear you got out Dave. I was surprised when I saw your topic as I didn't think you would go with the ground swell as it was. Was the fishing comfortable in that amount of sea on ???

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Its the 23rd today Rob :happy: , fortunately i got a brill wife who had Christmas sorted sometime in September, all I had to do was sort customers out whom are now mostly on shut down....

Swell wasn't an issue Glenn, un-noticable really. Nothing else to add, a good summary of the day Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. newdave

newdave Guest

no problem at all Glenn, just gave the scars a wide birth, otherwise it was like being in the middle of the south Atlantic with a big swell, hardly noticed it whilst fishing. Sea spray was out so managed to get my flasks back as well :happy:

I will do some more photo's for you Rob, its fairly neat & the only bit i have had to drill is the fish box lid which could be replaced & one hole in the back wall of the fishbox where i have fitted a cable gland, the transducer & the battery box are in the rear compartment behind the seat. yes i chucked the fish in the box, i was thinking of maybe putting a couple of tubes in to take the rods ?

the other thing i need to sort is a way of stowing the paddle

6. Baramundi Bob

Dont forget to let me know if theres an opportunity of some fishing over the Chrimbo period. I break up from work tomorrow - 5pm

7. newdave

newdave Guest

a good forecast for the 25th, what you reckon :laugh: :laugh:

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I already mentioned that to the wife, I wont offend you all with what she said :wounded: :wounded: :laugh:

9. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

well done spawney 1 and 2 on catching a few fish each ken said he had enjoyed it thats the thing spawney with them darados they are different to p13
    cheers ian

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent report Dave, well done to you both :cool:

I MISS MY KAYAKING FISHING!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: nutters. Good balanced report Dave, I see there's the odd quirk but I,m sure you lads will iron these out between you in time. They do look the biz though.

12. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

Great fish there i see.

Im unsure, being new to this game how to 'uutide'. Ive been researching and have found that its something to do with chucking your baits away from your boat to avoid noise, but ive only got that far, im unsure what to do next.

Thanks
    Phil

13. newdave

newdave Guest

not rocket science at all phil, & from a kayak i don't think the noise is a problem. the main thing is to use a gripper lead & let a bow of line out, that way the bait stays put until a fish grabs it & trips the lead. the advantages as i see it are you can use relatively light weights to hold bottom & because of the slack in the line it does not matter when you drift around at anchor as you are prone to do in the Kayak. for me it is now the main way to fish with bait from the Kayak :yes:

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice report dave. glad you like the new yak

15. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

Thanks spawney, ill have to try it later on in the year when the weather improves and ive rigged out my kayak

16. Baramundi Bob