1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Doing Anything Different Thid Year

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by brian carragher, May 7, 2016.

1. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As above, anyone got any plans for doing things a bit different this year or are the plans to carry on as normal (nothing wrong with that by the way) or has anyone got a cunning plan to try something new

Me, I'll be doing the usual cod and pollock trips but later on in the season when the maccy arrive I want to try something different, think it'll be mostly blanks but I'm ready for that, but my aim is to have a try turbot fishing for some of the big fish that are here but largely untouched and to anchor up and give the tope fishing a whirl

Both species are here where I'm at (Redcar) but theres no one fishing for them, some very large turbot are caught by gill netters so I know they're here somewhere just got to find the with some long drifts in the rifgt areas and tope have fallen to the gill nets and salmon drifters in the past so its a case of sitting tight with plenty of bait out and a big bag of chum, who knows how it'll pan out, it might be a disaster but I'm going to try

Any decent results or fish and I'll return to this and put something up

• Like Like x 1
  2. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just pollak fishing for me this year as i sold up with the yak last year, probably with jellyworms - seen a few local scarbo lads with big results from the drive, other than that just going to have another bash at the sea bass too, not targeted them for a few years.
    Nowt wrong with a blank as long as i learn something from it...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

4. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Brian, I am also going to try for skate turbot and tope, you are right they are all out there of saltburn, also going to try drop shooting for cod and pollock let us hope for some nice calm weather for a change.

5. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Hi Brian, Going to try to beat my duck with the conger. I fish a spot on the Kent coast with a couple of guys and we use BIG flappers for them, one of the guys has had a big one of just over 37lb which is good off the shore. One by product is that we do catch some nice Bass, the biggest being over 14lb so hoping this year especially with such a mild winter and the water temperature up to do well.

6. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

some very large turbot

Bri,

in the 60's we used to catch quite a few float fishing off the end

of saltburn pier, maybe try august time @ 150yds off end of pier

as you can take into consideration we were fishing off the end

when the pier still had the bandstand prior to 74 storm which

caused shorter version now in use.

used to call them dustbin lids, they used to come up to 6-7lb

and didn't half bend the old tank ariel homemade rods.

hope you are successful.

im hoping to try for your bigger Pollock on an evening

if we get decent tea time weather.

7. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Got a few places I'm looking to try this summer for a big flattie, we used to get a lot of very very big turbots in the gill nets some years ago when I was younger and working gear so will be looking to go over those grounds again armed with a few rods and look to some of the inside marks where I think I can score one or two, should be good weather permitting and I want to try and at least get 1 good run from a tope

Won't be forgetting those pollock either so when you're ready and fancy a go just shout up, some very good ones come out in the daytime too but in overcast conditions, they're not big fans of too much direct sunlight, those big eyes they have are perfect though for low light predator feeding

8. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Does anyone know anything about turbot from the shore in wales. The beach I bass fish looks perfect for them but fish baits get hammered by dog fish. Do I need to cast long for them. Any advice greatly recived

9. burtyme

burtyme Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I bought a Fly Rod 3 years ago, and still not had a go with it.
    Hope to catch something on it this summer, possibly up at the Mull in August. i've seen some really nice Mullet swimming around the Rock edges on previous visits.

probably end up with a mackeral!