1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you realy need a bank loan to buy a bass plug????

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by 1LASTCAST, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Looking at how many plugs I lost this year I think my season cost me roughly £30. I still have 8 of the maria chases I bought and I think I have all but 1 of my Yozuri's. As has been mentioned we spend far more on bait for a winters season. With not collecting any crab this year I dread to think of how much this winter season has cost me in terms of buying bait. I think Im upto £400 already.

As for Braid, Im still using the same stuff I filled the real with last season. Cant begin to understand where Kester is going wrong ?

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

I reckon its little things like overfilling and possibly not paying attention after casting out allowing the braid to loop etc before winding or flipping his bail arm over .....kester ?

3. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I think he must be over filling the spool

4. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

ive used 20lb spiderwire stealth since i took up plugging and i cant fault it at all..casts like a dream and very limp...converted buzz onto it so it cant be that bad!! lol...as far as wind knots go,just dip your spool in the water before you start fishing,and always manually close the bail arm.making sure the braid is over the line roller.

5. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Works for me also

6. robq

robq Rockling

Briad requires a bit more care and attention but offers soooo much more than mono once you have it sussed !!

Anyone struggling with it must be doing something wrong. All the teething problems have been encountered, resolved and solutions shared now :yes:

If someone prefers mono then thats fine and up too them :yes: However if its a case of switching back to mono because they have problems with braid then maybe they should do a bit of research :wink:

7. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

OK folks - thanks for all the wonderful and weird suggestions. This is my definitive answer on the subject - my apologies for the OP for hijacking his thread!

As I said, I've tried various braids and some quality reels. For me, which reel or braid doesn't make a difference. The problem isn't really with wind knots or loose coils before I start reeling in, over filling the spool or anything like that. Some facts:

1. Nearly all my losses with braid are due to snap offs. Though I have broken on snags too - you don't always straighten the trebles.

2. About 98% of the snap offs are from the bail arm coming over mid cast, in the last year it's a 100%. No wind knots.

3. I reckon I cast between 400-600 casts a session.

4. I accept that I put too much force into my casts. That's what flips the bail arm over. Never really sussed if it's the handle swinging that triggers it or just the g-force of the cast. Never found a reel that didn't do this if you cast hard enough. If I had the money, I would buy a certain very fancy make with no bail arm. But I haven't.

5. Given my casting style, I need a solution that let's me cast the way I like to cast. By putting the lure as far as that thing will go.

6. I watch other people cast. They just don't cast as far as I do, cast after cast. Not bragging, or saying I catch more fish, just saying I like to put a lot of force / speed into every cast.

Now the bail arm problem very rarely happens, maybe 3 times in 500 casts, but when it does if I'm using braid the chances of it snapping off and my losing that plug are high. I've tried fluorocarbon leaders, I've tried special braid that claims to have some stretch in it. I've tried taking the bail arm springs out, I've tried filing off the bit that flips the arm over. I know exactly where the breaks occur (about an inch or two above the plug) and I've tried everything I could think of to stop it.

The bail arm coming over is never a problem with mono. It never, ever snaps off. Yes, I know mono has its issues (strength being the main one, especially after a few fish). But mono is so easy to fish with. Bite it off with your teeth, easy to tie, easy to untangle, quiet, clear, it's easy all round. I think the stretch helps stop the odd fish shaking off as they can with braid.

I know I've had some bad days with snags (fish going into them is the biggest problem, especially when you're fishing with 3 trebles), with fish breaking the line because it's chafed or nicked, and people always say "you should use braid", but I honestly lose more plugs on braid than I do with mono. We can all cite our favourite stats on how many plugs we've lost over a season. But in my first two years plugging for bass, I lost 2 plugs. I was fishing with 8lb mono, but I was fishing pretty safe places. I lose a lot more these days, and the reason is because I fish a lot closer to structure and kelp than I used to. In fact, I seek it out. But braid doesn't reduce my losses. Sure it's great to pull out of snag with 30lb braid, but I don't get that many snags from the kayak. What I can guarantee, is that my bail arm will flip over in mid cast at some point in the session. Maybe only once, but maybe 3 or 4 times. That could mean me losing 3 or 4 plugs in a session. I don't generally get snagged up that often where I lose 3 plugs in a session.

I think Glenn has a good take on it. Plugs seem dear, but they're not that dear with respect to bait, petrol, kayaks and the rest of it. Personally, I somehow mind less if a fish breaks me off by diving into a snag than if I lose the plug from the bail arm flipping over and snapping the line. There is nothing worse than seeing a plug sail off into the horizon and paddling about in the vain hope of trying to find it. At least when you lose them to fish, you know the fish are out there.

But I'm not giving up completely on braid. I've just bought an Okuma Surf fixed spool, and I'm going to follow Robq's set up for rock fishing. 50lb red Spiderwire, with a long leader for some abrasion protection. The Okuma comes with "a bail arm lock for extreme casting"!! We'll see. :)

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with suggestions. They were all appreciated and I'm always willing to listen to advice.

Cheers.

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi biscuitlad have you ever tyred a multiplier reel one of the baby ones or a fixed spool like the yanks use with a line out button on the back doesent matter how hard you hit the plug as-long as you realize the line at the right time i might have a upside down fixed spool reel like the yanks use if your interested ill dig it out you can have a go with it might give you some idea of whats needed tightlines Alain

9. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Hiya mate - no not really used one in anger. Tried playing around with one in the States, don't think they cast as far though. And I like to play my fish using the reverse / backwind. Not a big fan of playing fish on drags.

10. newdave

newdave Guest

A well Kestler, seems you are in a parrallel universers :whatever: I have honestly never lost a Bass in a snag, Pollock yes as thet dive for shelter but usually i find that Bass are a bit stupid as they tend to go to the surface & only really dive when they see the kayak. I fish with my drag pretty loose & just apply a bit of hand pressure if its taking me into trouble. 50lb Braid ?, we used 30lb for 120lb Tarpon ?, I honstly think you are looking for the tackle to acomadate your poor technique instead of just learning to use the gear, why would you want to cast so far, even from the shore it only needs a flick to get far enough. By all means do your own thing but I think you can see by now that you are in a minority of one with your problem, so it defo not the gear :whistle:

11. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Dave - the 50lb braid is not for plugging. It's for my winter cod off the beach into rough ground.

As for the rest, whatever...

12. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I've used a little baitcaster there ok I've never had that problem with the bail arm comming over i know a lad who had a twin power with that problem I agree with dave It's not the gear biscuit it must be your technique I've found you don't have to cast hard a flick is all hat is needed bass are normally at you feet I've found
    Cheers ian

13. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

I've had bail arm problems with a Fox reel (dont buy one they are crap) so I've just cut the bail arm off at the roller and tight at the other end, and back to manual pick up, It may look daft but it works and once youv'e done it for five minutes it seems natural, it also makes you take note there is no slackness of the braid for the first few wraps, which I think where the majority of windknots occur, saying that I've also bought a Shimano baitrunner on Ebay that has worked ok but I still close the bail arm manually.

14. glassback

glassback Blenny

i agree with you les ,i to have a shimano 10000 and have cut the bail arm of to stop premature closing .
    as you say you soon get use to it ,they use to make fixed spools with a manual pick up to stop this happening,
    but i havent seen any for a few years .
    its definately worth doing ,i prefair 20 ib spider wire for plugging never let me down .

although i hate it for codding prefair multis, and mono

15. GRAHAM HILL

GRAHAM HILL New Member

Hell,,,you lot up there have realy got it BAD!!!!!!!!!!! :scared: :scared:

Graham

16. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

haha, Its not realy that bad up here Graham :laugh: :laugh: