1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you realy need a bank loan to buy a bass plug????

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by 1LASTCAST, Oct 28, 2010.

1. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just reading a report by buzz lightyear,(well done on the bass by the way) and says that he did not get a sniff on the zonk but strait away with the ima sasuke,now call me old fashoned but both of these plugs are £20 plus each and on seeing the sasuke it doesnt look any different to the boatload of yo zuri crystal minnows that i just paid £5 each for, price aside,the question that im asking is what do these lures do that is different to the rapalas and older style rebel type lures that we used to catch bass on before. Im going to be giving the plugging a good go this year from the shore and also on the boat and would like your views on rod length as some like the longer rods at 10ft yet the newer style japanese 8ft rods are now favourable to some people, what is the best braid to use and breaking strain,many thanks in advance.......<")((<><

2. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

The thing I've found the more expensive plugs have alot better actions than the cheaper plugs and what it says on the box it does.
    I have 2 plugging rods 1 is 8 foot and the other is 9 foot
    Cheers ian

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

We caught a lot of fish this year on crystal minnows whilst Mike next to us struggled at times with the zonk. But a lot of it is psychological because he often ended up taking the zonk off because we were catching on the yo zuris. Had he continued with the zonk he likely would have caught just as many fish. One advantage to the zonk over the yo zuri is the casting potential. The yo zuri flaps about like a wet rag then lands 10 yards out. Which is more than enough for the marks I fish, but what about those days when you require more distance ? I think every plug has its day. As for your question "Do you need a bank loan", my answer would be Not if your loaded :wink: :cheesy:.

4. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

if you lads that go bass fishing could only have five lures with ones would you choose price not a problem tightlines Alain

5. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Zonk
    Tide minnow
    Feed shallow
    Ima k2
    Ima sasuke
    All these plugs cast very well
    Cheers ian

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Ian thanks for your reply where would i buy the lures from veals ? also would the same lures be OK to be used for trolling on a down rigger behind a boat tightlines Alain ps cracking catch you had

7. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Alan on the kayak I use
    Zonk
    Tide minnow
    Yozuri Crystal minnow
    Rapala slither
    Deep down husky jerk
    I buy the zonk and the ima plugs and the tide minnow from japan and the others eBay
    Cheers ian

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

1.Without doubt the numero uno is Maria chase bw red head
    2. Yo zuri crystal minnow red head or mackerel
    3. Storm jointed thunderstick

Cant say that I really use much more, although I do feel blingitis coming on. Been experimenting with a patchinko top water

9. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Well out of the ones you've named ive got the yozuri minnow tightlines Alain

10. 1LASTCAST

Thanks for the replies lads ,which is the best lure for distance,and what is the best braid for casting and b/s,as ive only used it on the boat before and beach but not spinning plugging (used power pro)also i know that you use a flurocarbon leader but does colour of the braid have any effect,spooking the fish etc.. i recall being a lad who loved fishing from an early age and had worked a paper round for a month to earn enough money to buy a rapalla,first cast at naburn locks york on the ouse the bale arm on my reel engaged mid cast and cracked off,i still can remember that sick feeling as i watched it drifting away down the river never to be seen again and think it would still be the same if i lost one today,exept today it would knowing my luck,be a £25er,lol,thanks again for your replies

11. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Gary that will teach you to come poaching our pike best plug Ive ever found just bent down and picked it up from a slack water pool Ha Ha tightlines Alain

12. 1LASTCAST

haha,Al your a star!! ive acctually just seen the action of the ima sasuke in a test tank on youtube and it does look the bees knees,very good action also the komomo, weird as you would have thought a plug that has natural silver colours like our small prey fish can be sometimes outdone by a red headed lure than in fairness looks like nothing native to our shores,has anyone tried the surface poppers on the east coast,chugbugs etc as ive never tried them up here and if so any luck???

13. newdave

newdave Guest

I have mixed opinions on this, the plugs even at £20 are not that exspensive if compared to buying bait as the shalllow & topwater lures should last a long time so its cost is spread over a lotof trips. but there are a lot of good lures available for less money that will fish just as well as the blingy ones on there day, although casting is another story. Buzzz will only catch fish on these lures because that what he uses & he has confidence in them. I am certain that had he been useing a maria chase or yo zuri he could well have had the same result. what got him fish was going plugging when most have packed there rods for the winter & being in the right place :yes:.
    I must say I am a bit envious as being out of the country i was looking at the weather & sea conditions & itching to be in my favourite places on the kayak with plugs. I was very sure it would be a good time as it has been for the last 3 years when weather allows at this time of year.

14. 1LASTCAST

your right spawny,i go through bait like theres no tomorrow,probably £30 a session anyway so when its put like that it actually makes these plugs cheap with the re-usable factor,i am so looking forward to putting in a bit of reccying and some long walks to find the fish, has anybody used the popper style lures,duel aile or mag poppers with any luck??,reason i ask is last year we were round bempton at low water on the warrior and probably 40 50 yards off the cliffs,the kelp stalks were exposed with some lovely deep pools,the ones that you would explore and cast into,trouble is we didnt have the spinning gear just boat rods,it just looked mint,also whats your favourite braids and breaking strains and colour???

15. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Yep, that's what'll happen at some point if you use braid. Then again, you might get more plugs back from snags with a heavy braid.

I gave up on it, after trying 4 different brands. Got sick of wind knots, snap offs and the general hassle. I'm back on Teklon Gold mono for my plugging - it's brilliant, hassle free and casts miles.

16. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

The best braid I've found is spiderwire ive had no problems with it I use 20lb
    Cheers ian

17. newdave

newdave Guest

There you go again biscuit, not having a go & off course its fine that you prefer mono, but seriously if you are having so much trouble with braid its because you are doing something seriously wrong. I use braid for all my fishing. almost never have wind knots & only loose plugs if i use one thats too deep for the location & even then I mostly get them back, actually the commonest reason for loosing plugs is forgetting to close the clip :whistle:
    I think its safe to say all my fishing buddys use braid as well

18. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

could be down to putting to much braid onto the spool i watched a good braid article on you- tube just forget the name of the thread but it was some yank telling you how to beat wind knot's and other problems using braid well worth a look Ive never had problems using braid even on multipliers i just put some nylon line on first making sure the spool is balanced then wrap some electricians tape round it check the balance if OK put the braid on sorted tightlines Alain

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Defo gotta agree with dave there like . I never have any problem with braid and everyone i know who fishes with it get no probs . I would defo be looking at your technique biscuitlad..... :yes:

20. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

There's no way I would use mono for bass you must be over filling your spool biscuit I don't think colour of braid matters
    Cheers ian