1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do People Actually Care About The West Pier ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I was talking to my mate today about the west pier bridge and the good news that a temporary bridge will be in place pretty soon. I was quite shocked when he told me he believed that no-one actually cared about if the end of the pier is open or not and that the cash would be best spent on employing a street cleaner.

I know I care a lot about the pier and I enjoy going there both fishing and for walks. What do others think of the pier ?

2. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I dont fish the piers now but use to and loved it plus a visit to whitby with the family wouldnt be the same without a walk on the pier. Open them both back up asap is my opinion.

3. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, i was thinking the same thing today, when it got shut everyone went made but lately no one seems bothered,

i think the peir is a great place to fish from (for novis anglers or hard core ones).

allso when im at whitby with my family i love walking to the end to see whats happening,

4. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Was in whitby for the late festival streets looked clean enough to me

5. MOTLLEY22

MOTLLEY22 New Member

The peirs need to remain. I have many happy memories fishing down there as a kid and when you see how many people are down there with their kids spinning for mackrel in the summer its a great sight. I have spent hours fishing from the pier. I am sure there are thousands of people who probably dont even know that the end section of the pier may be closed. Even when I am not fishing a walk down the pier before fish and chips is always the top of the Mrs list, no matter what the weather is. This mark also produces some great fish in the winter months. It would be dissapointing as a fisherman and many tourists to see the money spent elsewhere by SBC.
    Mart

6. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

I rarely fish the West pier these days but that's not to say that I don't care about it. In fact, both piers are close to my heart as I grew up fishing on them. In my teens, there were times when I practically lived on those piers, and if I wasn't on either of those two, it was Saltburn pier which was nearer to where I lived.
    I was there for the West pier protest which attracted a decent crowd. I'm not sure how many of them were anglers but I did meet a few old boys who all had stories to tell.
    I can understand it if only a few people comment on this thread, but it's not just anglers who care about the piers and extensions, many visitors return again and again and expect to see all of Whitby's iconic features still intact and well maintained. So there will be plenty of people who do care, but who obviously won't see this thread.

7. tone

tone Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes I think a lot of people care about the west pier. We come from Chesterfield and my wife, myself and seemingly lots of other visitors used to enjoy a nice long walk along to the end of the pier which isn't now available. Also
    when I started having a go sea fishing and couldn't cast very far the pier seemed just about the only place I could get any bites. My grandchildren came up this year from Brighton and they wanted to try a bit of "proper fishing" after their last few years crabbing in the harbour. Well they absolutely loved it after catching two mackerel each and begged me to take them next year.

Then came the bombshell about closing the pier and l felt devastated about it as I could see many years ahead before any repairs were thought about. My wife and myself felt strongly enough to make a special journey from Chesterfield for the protest march and we were delighted to hear that something may be happening in the comparatively near future. I haave seen three lots of parents/children with fishing gear trudging away from the pier with long faces. They too were visitors who knew nothing of pier closure and were very disappointed. Yes a lot of visitors as well as the locals care about the Pier.

8. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think the initial outrage that was caused by the loss of access has indeed gone off the boil, but quite possibly this is because its now widley accepted that a temporary bridge will be put in place shortly, soon to be followed by a permenant replacment (dont think even SBC would be so stupid as to go back on these promises)

From the beginning I have said how I dont use the pier often (if at all in recent history to be honest) for fishing, and I doubt very much if Im about to start now.

My support for the access to be reinstated was based on a few things. for one sentimentality, I have very fond memories of that pier from when I started fishing.

The effect that the closure would have on the angling businesses in town

The lack of a good platfrom for beginners to get to grips with the sport in safetey and the possibility of people going to places where they would be at more risk simply for want of a safer venue.

The fact the extensions and piers are a part of Whitby's heritage and the history of this coastline.

The list could go on and on, supporting the access to the piers does not need to be simply based on wether or not you intend to fish off them

I of course care about the west, but also I care a lot more about the east pier, and would love to see the same positive steps that were taken to secure this one victory carried over onto the East which seems to be the poor relation, and which could offer some excellent fishing and also the stunning unobstructed views down to saltwick and beyond

9. Phil g

Phil g Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I started sea fishing again after 35 years and my wifes first ever fishing trip to Whitby pier.

I Do hope it reopens soon.

10. barry

barry Blenny

I bet in a day there are more people walk on that pier than ever fish it . If they leave it close Whitby will loose out . :yes:

11. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Judging by the turnout at the protest I'd say he was right. The average person in Whitby isn't bothered. It's only when Whitby loses everything that makes it unique and becomes just another town, only then will they realise what they have lost.

Familiarity breeds indiference.

12. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Whats a seaside resort without a pier to stroll along with family ,ice cream in hand.They are an integral part of any resort and should be looked after and invested in,for the enjoyment of all.

13. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I really hope it does get sorted, I started on piers/harbours and on our coastline they seem to be disappearing or becoming out of bounds. I still enjoy the ease of a bit of bait, a rod and a bench to sit on as well,especially when I am feeling lazy :wink:

WillW

14. Jem

Jem Blenny

Wish they'd get the temp walkway sorted, bit of a pain moving barriers and fishing without lights :cheesy:, just hope it does'nt end up like the east :no:

Scabby council should be ashamed of the actions it's taken regarding Whitby's heritage. I started my fishing with a handline down nr the ice machine over 35yrs ago (jesus i'm showing my age now) and I was over the moon catching little coalies on mussel, progressed from there to doing both sea and coarse (with coarse fishing taking main priority and still is to a cert extent). But I've always done sea in winter. I cant even remember the last time I fished the east in anger but if they do the west crossover they really should do the east as technology now can easily bridge the gap without a central support.

15. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

what can you do!!!!!!! i was gutted, no am still gutted for the last 11 years about the east, then i realised it was 10 years, surely they have got to sort this out, ive been stood fishing club matches in the middle of the height of the summer tourism, and ive had americans stop and chat with me, telling me how much they loved the place, and how famous whitby is, and what am i using for bait "is that soft shell crab, you know we eat that in the states", imagine in a yank accent. point being, not just for us anglers but for everyone in the world who visit whitby, with both piers out of action, the walks will be shorter as will the length of time people are there, its my mams favorite place in the world, and one of mine, and im getting friggin emotional writing this so im off... yeh i care

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

17. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

im not on face book glenn so i dont know what its about

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well Glenn i certainly care about the pier, and i am sure many many Whitby folk do
    My wife and myself came from Stockton to show our support , and all so many people from the surrounding area,

even though the protesters were only a couple of hundred a lot more signed the petition,

i think the council dare not ignore the feeling of the people who want to see the piers brought back to there original splendour :yes:

19. halibut man

halibut man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You don"t miss anything until you lose it.If money is that tight for the council then they should ask for donations from all the businesses that benefit from people going to whitby, and using the pier then spending their money in their shops?????

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I can remember Saltburn Pier haveing a key for acess.
    What was the reason for that and was it for fishermen only to have a key..
    I know nothings for free but maybe the council could repair our piers and then lease them to clubs or associations who could charge for the upkeep and policeing of headlands and piers.
    There again what is Cameron always ranting on about being more sociable in life and then shutting everything.
    If it was a pack of hounds the Tories would be more intrested