1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need A License To Fish The Sea Lochs For Sea Fish In Scotland ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

This is an honest question based on something Mike33 told me the other night. Apparently the last time he was in Scotland fishing a sea loch he was told by a local that he should not be fishing without a license.

I have heard of no such law but obviously dont want to end up in jail in Scotland.

So if Im fishing for sea fish such as bass, pollack, mackerel, conger etc in a Scottish Sea loch, do i need a licence ?

Obviously If I caught a sea trout or Salmon I would return it and will not specifically set out to target these fish, but if one jumps on my new surface popper, how can I prevent that ??

Please dont guess the answer, as there is nothing worse than being fed duff information.

2. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As far as i know no licence needed. But some lochs that are fed by freshwater with salmon or trout may require the land owners permission or a permit

3. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It is a bit of a complex one, I'm afraid.
    The law is, if someone owns the fishing rights for a river (generally salmon and sea trout), then they essentially control their river estuary, so you would not be allowed to fish for them there.
    For our purposes that means you cannot use a fly rod in those areas, or be seen to be targeting migratory fish.
    If you are bait fishing, or targeting sea fish, you are on safe ground.
    Fresh water lochs are different. Some are owned, some you need local permits for, etc..
    Hope that is some help.

4. Baramundi Bob

Wont be doing any estuary fishing, Ie inside a river mouth. Will be looking at some of the sea lochs for shelter from certain wind directions. Loch Pooltiel and dunvegan are looking favourable.

5. wijonty

wijonty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi i was told while up there fishing any thing conected to the calidonion can -- ways are free fishing
    i rented a cottage and the salmon river that run past the back door was 3.000 a year i wont go there again :yes: :yes:

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

Are you talking about a rod license? If so, you don't need one, but you have to have permission/fee from land owners etc.

7. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

No rod licence required in jockland, but as said permission t fish the water

8. Baramundi Bob

Landowners ? Do people own the shoreline in Scotland. Sorry if that's a dumb question but Its not something Im used to. In England Im used to walking along the shore and fishing. Is this different north of the border ?? Gee it sounds complicated up there. Just for examples sake, I want to fish the coral beaches in loch dunvegan. Will I need a licence, or permission ? or can I just fish.

[​IMG]

9. Davie l

Davie l Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hes relating to fresh water rather that salt Glenn, ie we dont need a rod licence to fish a salmon beat but just a permit from the tackle shop etc or permission from the land owner in the case of a big estate or in hotel grounds kinda thing.

Being saltys we can fish where ever we like though :).

Davie

10. Baramundi Bob

Ah thankyou and sorry for being so dim, Im getting confused now. I was inquiring about salt water venues, not fresh water, not rivers etc. We just want to fish in saltwater for Bass, Pollack and all the other usual suspects.

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

Salt water, then just fish, unless you are fishing from private land, which is possible with sea lochs. If not just get on with it.

12. Jordy

Jordy New Member

You can fish tidal waters without a permit unless you venture onto private land to do it, then you can get a day licence.

Jordy

13. Baramundi Bob

Cheers guys I think that clears it up. Im guessing private land will be marked as such ?? When we were at MOG we just asked farmers and they let us cross to get to the shore with no hassle. I guess we will have to get damo not to frighten the bulls though.

14. bucko

bucko New Member

I'm sure that if the estuary comes under the local estates property/fishings then permission must be sought- some of them do have the rights right down to the sea.
    Rivers such as the Skye ones will have migratory fishing right down to the sea- with sea pools/estuarine lochs being important beats for them in low water years.
    Find out the local estate and sound them out- they might be OK with you hoying a double crab bait out but not a plug.
    And as such you would probably have to give priority to salmon anglers.
    No rod licenses in Scotland though.

15. Baramundi Bob

£uck em.

Watch us go.

16. bucko

bucko New Member

I was just offering you advice on how it is mate.
    After all- is it such a hardship to pay £30 to fish a sea pool that gets the whole rivers run in it on every tide (especially this year given lack of rain???
    But, if you want to end up getting rogered by a keeper who eats raw onions for breakfast thats your choice...saying that you've a few younger ones to 'throw to the lions' LOL
    Hope you all have a good one!

17. Baramundi Bob

Ill just blaim it on the Viicar. Sea trout for tea most days I hope.

18. Baramundi Bob

Spoke to a few people about this. Apparently its nonsense. as usual people not in the know, guessing.

19. bucko

bucko New Member

????
    Yes- but its not the catching...its your location.
    If you think I am guessing then do some Googling on Skye salmon rivers and their "Sea Pools'.
    Like I said- just offering you advice...have fished many parts of Scotland...so no guessing- just understanding.

But- NO- you don't need a license to catch sea fish.

20. Tricky

Tricky Bill and Ben were Fishermen

River Tay estuary in Dundee is tidal salt water but also migratory path for salmon and trout. You need a fishing licence to fish this stretch of water irrespective of whether targeting these species or not. There are bailiffs who enforce the licensing though I have never seen or dealt with them. You get all the usual salt water fish found on this coast in the estuary too. Tackle shops as usual offer good advise on this.

But apart from that you are free to cross any land on foot in Scotland so crossing farmland to access shore marks is no problem. You dont need to ask land owners permission although on regular marks up here i tend to look out farmer and have a blether. Never had a problem and some really like getting a few fish out of it. Google Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 to see what you can and can't do.