1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diners must think big to save our Sea Bass

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bassman, Jun 27, 2015.

1. WetLine

WetLine Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

For anyone who might be interested:

"The UK Government believes the science supports the re-establishment of a daily bass bag limit for sea anglers and our Fisheries Minister George Eustice has asked the EU Commission to change the law as soon as possible."

Email the EU Commission now, telling them you want the bag limit back in July.

Email the EU Commission And George Eustice MP

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good luck with that one, its the 22nd of June now so anyone expecting an answer to any e mail can expect a positive outcome by July 2019 at the earliest and thats being optomistic

The science never ever supported a ban on recreational anglers in the first place, its because those who say they represent us but dont really, the unelected and non representative bunch of arse lickers and sycophants and apologists for the AT sold us down the river for reasons still yet to be determined but most seem to have a good idea anyway

All the data gathering and bulling up of figures to make a weak argument look good has backfired as many predicted and the commercial sector which caused the damage walked away largely scott free at the expense of the ordinary angler

3. WetLine

WetLine Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I thought it was late as well. But it's just an email so I thought I'd post it.
    I think that was driven by the EU rather than the UK government quite a few EU countries have fisheries quota's for anglers. The EU loves to standardise.
    The AT are effectively just a lobby group & you're not alone in being dis-illusioned with some of decisions (you should talk to the Barbel Society about their Otter problems).
    Totally agree, but until fisheries policy is separated from the EU things are more difficult to fix. I saw the EU fisheries guy interviewed by the Countryfile programme a while ago, the interviewer tried to pin him down about his stupid Bass policies but it was like trying to nail jelly to a wall. He seemed unconcerned about Anglers & Scientists sustainability concerns, commercials ruled the roost.

After Brexit who knows ? The commercials may still rule (or not) but at least it will be clearer that the UK gov is responsible if fish stocks crash, they can't outsource fisheries control & responsibility to the EU.

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

5. derm

derm Blenny