1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent Venue to try out a shelter

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Floydsdad, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Floydsdad

Floydsdad New Member

good afternoon all ,
    I am traveling up from Manchester possibly fri or Saturday , and aside from making my usual visit to Saltburn Pier at high tide , I am looking to try and find a venue reasonably close to there to try out a fishing shelter which was a pressie !
    If anyone knows of any good beach marks which would be suitable to try it out I’d be most grateful to hear !
    Along with any tips etc !
    Many thanks in advice !
    SG :)

2. pmac

pmac Blenny

sandsend beach is one place .probably upgang at low water.
    drive down the ravine through the golf course, beach from sandsend to whitby.
    fish bait for whiting/dabs and the odd cod /bass

• Like Like x 1
  3. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fri,sat f/cast 5-6mph SSE,

As well as sandsend, nearer to saltburn you can try out a shelter in ship inn.

Joking apart, marske beach has nice sand/,shingle to "bed your shelter" try below

Cliff house/slip way, along to st Germain's church,few bass cod,whitting showing

Also cattersea beach suitable for your base camp,clay point along to scar edge .

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Floydsdad

Floydsdad New Member

Thanks for the reply , I’ll have a look on google earth :) I’ve read about fishing from the car park at sandsend but I can see from the map that there appears to be good access right down towards the golf course :)

5. Floydsdad

Floydsdad New Member

Hi ,
    Thanks for the reply , a chap in a tackle shop in Billingham told me about Marske beach too, but I never got around to going last time. I’ve seen St Germaims church on google earth , I take it you’re talking to the left of that up towards where the boats are moored ? I’m assuming the picture on google earth is at low water ? Does tide come right in tonthe top of the slipway ? It looks close enough to Saltburn to do either before high water and the time I can hit the pier If I do both on a day .. of not I’ll make 2 trips !

6. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

redcar beach hour before low down from stray cafe ideal sandy spot or park at tuned in walk down towards beacon
    again low water

• Like Like x 1
  7. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Runswick bay is a good sheltered mark especially when there's a big sea on. I find the beach at Sandsend fishes better than the car park, park at in lay-by at side of road & go down the steps. It fishes best bottom tide up the same for Runswick.
    The beaches around here aren't relay suitable for beach shelters as they are all fairly flat and the tide comes in fast forcing you to keep moving back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

To be honest I wouldnt bother with youre shelter mate all our beaches are shallow so you probably only get an hour either side of low/high water. Then you'll be moving it every ten minutes, bad enough moving rod rests, rods, bags etc, otherwise it'll be half a mile behind you up the beach with a load of dogs peeing on it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. navmanfish

Check your pm,

Other options also ring true for you to try.

• Like Like x 1
  10. navmanfish

• Like Like x 1
  11. Floydsdad

Floydsdad New Member

Thanks for all the really helpful advice and support. I’ve had to slide my trip back to next weekend now, but I will certainly, have a look at some of the places mentioned.

12. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

On current forecasts you'll struggle to find a fishable beach anywhere near Saltburn. Probably Runswick the best bet,with easy access, in a big sea. Dependent on the weed situation.

• Like Like x 1