1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent Night At Sandsend

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Headed for the cliffs at Sandsend tonight along with Mike, Dan, Damo, and Rich aka deadlyfish. We started in daylight and the billets were at us fast, then as dusk fell the real fish came out to play.

I got a couple of cod on the last of the flood tide, both laid on, the first being a nice fish of around 3 pounds. It then went quiet so we made a bit of a move for the ebb tide. Dan was just commenting how you never see any good billets at Sandsend, then promptly caught one going close to 3lb.

[​IMG]

As the ebb got away I started to get a good few codlings, managing 6 in 6 casts at one point, with the biggest looking close to 5lb. The bites were almost constant for myself and Mike, but for some reason the other lads struggled a little.

In the end, I had 11 codling, Mike had 5, rich had 1, Dan and Damo filled up with Billets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the fish were happy to take large mackerel flappers fished at close range. Not a bad start to the new season and Im sure there will be more and bigger to come yet.

2. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done you lot at least rich got stop him moaning ha ha thats 1 more than last year isnt it rich? well done again

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

LMARO.....................Nice 1 lads.......Glenn, just how much have you missed that whilst on your travels................

4. stevennewsam

stevennewsam New Member

well done lads on pulling some nice fish in there :yes:

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done fellas, quality fishin!

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done everyone, ,must get me some mackie flappers :suspious:

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lads. cracking bit of fishing

8. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

Nice fishing lads , well done . Theres something fishy about those macky flappers though !! :wink:

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A good bag of fish there glenn , it can still do the bizz in the right conditions

10. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Mackie flappers eh? What happened to the herring? Nice fishing

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one guys, some nice fishing there :cool:

12. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

No pics Glenn....?!

Good fishing.

13. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

So it was you pulling all them codling in I got there about 8.30 ish and only had mussel and squid that was left from sunday. I fished just to your left on the grass part didn't want to get to close as I thought the swell might drag my gear towards you lads and I,m not one for pushing in as that get,s on nerves when people do that.

Needing as much help as possible Glenn what bait were you using apart from the flappers.

You all left just after me as I could see the grand parade of light coming along the cliff while i was getting in the car. I cannot believe Rich was there it was to quiet I couldn't hear him talking what did you do slip him a couple of pills Glenn.

Well done Glenn / lads on a good nights fishing and feel free to come and advise me where I,m going wrong (Bait I think) if you see me again. Tight lines all Chris

14. Baramundi Bob

Fishing expecially at this time of year comes down to bait. Green crab seemed to be the key although the 1 bigger fish fell to a velvet. I purposefully fished small baits on a 3/o razer claw.

15. bow1

bow1 Rockling

good night there glen,ihad a decent one too,putting report on in abit

16. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Are you also of the opinion that cart wouldn't have had a touch next to the crab?

17. deecee

deecee Blenny

Well done Glenn

Are there any pictures- particularly of the flappers :whistle: ?

18. timbo007

timbo007 New Member

Nice fishing there Glenn.

I've always fancied having a go off the cliffs at Sandsend - is it a place you can go if you've not been there before or is it a place to be shown first? I'm just thinking about safety.

I wanted to go and fish Sheep Stones the other day over high water but got told by a good source that I shouldn't go there without been shown how to get down and back up first.

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Its very safe on there I would take my Granny , no problems at all , I would say its most likely the safest cliff mark you could fish from
    especially the Rabbit Holes -------- I you cant beat those Mackerel flappers Glenn imagine if you had fished some crab with them in a cocktail , you
    might have had 20 Cod :yes: :whistle: :wink: mind you i was fishing runswick bay one evening I had just slipped my fourth nice cod in my bag people around me had nothing --- the mystery bait , well sandeels the cod were loving them

20. Baramundi Bob

As it was fishing last night, I know cart wouldnt have touched many fished. Dan Damo and Mike all had cart and could only pick out the billets. Funny thing is, they had fished there the night before and caught really well without green crab. Last night, It was only when Mike switched to frozen greens he started to catch. I think the fact I had fresh crab, and was putting it into exactly the same place every cast made all the difference. The presence of fresh green crab in the gulley probably switched them onto that bait alone, and nothing else would do. Funny how it works at times. Cart wont really come into its own until the shore crab moult is over in about 3 weeks times, but never say never.