1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darlington Fly Fishers

Discussion in 'Fresh Water Fishing Website Reviews And Links' started by bucko, Feb 5, 2008.

1. bucko

bucko Guest

http://www.darlingtonflyfishers.com

They have some nice water on Tees and Greta and by all accounts a very short waiting list.

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Looks like they have some beautiful bits of river to fish :yes: very nice.

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

The Tees must be the best or one of the best fly waters in the country in my opinion. Darlo Brown Trout are supposed to have some good stretches but i cant find a website for them unfortunately. I looked at Stockton's stretch on the Tees at Gainford and it looked class. I was only there 5 minutes and watched a bloke land a 12lb Salmon on the fly. It seems each stretch of the Tees has good fly water, wether it's the upper or lower beats, it doesnt seem to make any difference.

Now here's a thought, if migratory fish can swim 60 odd miles up the Tees throughout the season (they can be caught above Barney in June), then why doesnt the Danby area stretch of the Esk hold fish-in numbers over most of the year. Tongue in cheek, it seems a Tees fish could navigate the Esk to Westerdale in an hour or so. Seriously though, i think it may show the diversity of different river systems.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Dave

4. bucko

bucko Guest

I honestly think the Danby water does hold fish most of the year Dave, but they put themselves in the most god-awkward places like under tree roots and in back eddies that in effect mean fishing the pool backwards.
    A skilled wormer, not just a static ledgerer could do very well up there. When I used to fish bait on there the upstream worm always singled out the better browns.

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

The Esk is a river i've enjoyed worming years ago Ian, especially the Rakes area,and as you say, not a static worm. Your'e most probably right about the Danby stretch, its just that i haven't seen many Seatrout move after dark to let you know that they are there. With regards to Salmon, they will, well and truly stay under the roots etc. But theres only one way to find out, and thats to give it a go i suppose.

6. woldedge

woldedge New Member

As far as I know (which may or may not be alot) a salmon will just keep right on swimming until it gets to a pool it likes the look of or it born it that area.
    Salmon do on a regular basis swim 30-50 a day on the tweed as they have no or not many barriers to negotiate just a few dubs. Where as on the Esk the terrain the salmon and sea trout have negotiate to get to Danby is not an easy swim. Most of the Esk that is surrounded by woodland is very fast flowing full of huge rocks and narrow channels. The say it takes roughly 24 hours after a high tide and if the river levels are favourable for a salmon to get to the Glaisdale area.

7. bucko

bucko Guest

I'd agree with the 24hrs for salmon Kate, maybe a tad longer for sea trout.

Esk is a river that throws up so many questions- I guess thats why we love it so.

Now if anyone can tell me a (consistent) way to get Lealholm fish to take then the pints will be on me!

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

What i'm getting at Ian, is not the speed that fish swim a river in 24 hours, but why doesnt they seem to be a lot of fish holding the upper reaches of the Esk from late early summer onwards. This seems to be reflected in the cost to fish Danby stretch compared to lower down river. I know what Kate's saying, but some of the middle and upper Tees looks unsurpassable, ike some of the Esk. I just wonder if the Tees recieves more water during the early part of summer consistently, compared to the Esk.
    Dave

9. bucko

bucko Guest

Ahh, I see what you mean.
    Now, as a kind of 'marker' I always say that the first flood at the end of May will bring a good run of fresh fish in. The ones at this time of year seem to belt upstream and often they will hold in Lealholm for a night or two, with some staying there all year.
    Once they run Crunkly Gill I think the obstacles etc spread them out, so pods of fish turn into maybe two fish or one on its own. By the time they are up to Danby they are all over the place. I can think of one pool on Danby stretch where fish sit in the neck from about June onwards but are sods to catch.
    As I said, it doesn't half throw up some questions and defies every book we've ever read!

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

It does throw up some questions. A few people have asked the same question actually. I can understand why easy flowing rivers such as the Wear fill up with fish right along its lenght, but the rivers Tees and Esk are enigmas to me. I agree with your explanation about the fish once they get past Crunkly Dell, fish behaviour may then change once they reach the easier stretches, and settle into hidey holes-well out of sight. Anyway, roll on the coming season.

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

You really need to be in the esk assosiation waters to do the business on the esk , except when in flood ,
    esk assosiation water 500 quid a year and about a 10 year waiting list .......lol........danby 12 quid a year , they have it boxed off and is not fare ... :sad:.....never had any luck with the sea trout on the fly in that river .........altho know somebody that does really well , especially with the shrimp for salmon on the esk assosiation water .......

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Dav,

speaking to a member of the association today. They reckon the membership is about to double in price as the land has been bought out and they are having to renegotiate use of the river banks.

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

If you ask me glen its a bloody rip off , reminds me of the rivers up scotland , except they are like 500 quid a day esh ,,,,,talk about daylight robbery .....eyes out of sockkets ..........

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

I've been informed it is going up by £200 a year. Dav, why do you think its a rip off? I'm asking cos i dont know much about the water they control.
    Cheers
    Dave

15. woldedge

woldedge New Member

If you manage to be top of the list for the E.F.A and invited to join then your first year including E.A. licence and maybe a couple of mepps will set you back a Grand.

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

Sometimes its hard to put a price on a days/good days fishing.

Dave

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, but it's even better to have a good days fishing and not have to pay much for it :wink:

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Yer right there mate!