1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daft Wessie Questions

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by 3be2, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Just reading the thread about "Kelpies" and I have to ask...

It's a dark winter night and the sea is dark, rough and "muddy". How do the incoming Cod find food? Do they hunt by scent? Touch? Sight?

Sight - to me as a human, looks right off the radar - but I can't work without a torch. Maybe those big Cod eyes are better than I thought?

Touch - OK but a bit hit and miss. Perhaps I (as a Cod) just work the features until something feels like food or bolts for cover.

Scent - This would have to be my favourite. We know for definite that many freshwater fish will "home in" based on scent then use their other senses to pick out food.

So what's the general feeling amongst you sea regulars?

While I'm in the mood for questions - Going back a few weeks there was another thread about cascading bites - shoals moving down the coast. Is it possible to hold a shoal over a particular area? You can see where I'm going here. - groundbait (for want of a better expression).

Do sea shoals respond to a baited area? I appreciate that it just isn't possible on a lot of marks but can it be done? Can a shoal of whatever be held up at a particular mark using lots of freebies?

2. ste ryder

ste ryder New Member

Sounds like you need to expermenting with ground bait.

3. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hello, I believe that when the cod is feeding during rough coloured water or at night it mainly is feeding by scent and picking up on vibrations along its latral line rather than sight alone.. I beleive even the red kelp cod in the weed beds that feed in gin clear water will still be useing its excellent scence of smell to locate the bait rather than sight, after all it would need pretty good eyesight to see a bait 20yrds away in a thick dense kelp forest, it probably see's the bait just before it picks it up..

I think there is a place for ground baiting in sea fishing and have seen this done to good effect with Mullet keeping them in a certain area by chucking in balls of mashed up bread and fish, then fishing bread under a float to catch them, Flounders can be another fish worth ground baiting an area, we use to do this when fishing match's turn the ground over in front of your peg at low water trampling in some fish, crabs legs, chopped up worms etc, then fishing over it as the tide flooded, although it has worked and caught plenty of flounders, i could not be 100% sure i would of caught the same amount of fish without the ground bait.....But i suppose its worth a try..

They ground bait in the boat for species like Tope and Blue Shark by mashing up loads of mackeral and putting it into a bag and lowering it down to attract the Tope or shark towards the baits.....

4. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

It's always amazed me when using shads whilst boat fishing that the colour of the shad used does seem to have an effect on the catch rate. I've had days when blue have been deadly but the next trip only lime green seem to work etc.

I'd have thought in 200ft of water a cod (or any other fish) would have difficulty seeing anything let alone distinguishing colours and yet it does seem that even at that depth they have colour recognition.

Any deep sea divers here ? what is visibility like for a human at 200ft ? is it pitch black or can a human see at that depth ?

5. Doc

Doc New Member

I've only been beyond 200ft on 2 occasions (240ft and 210ft), both in the Indian Ocean, off Kenya and Mozambique respectively. Both were bounce dives on reef drop offs, the former required 18 minutes deco, the latter 12 minutes, and with numerous sharks on the reef top, hanging around for nearly 20 minutes on the spare set at 6m was not a particularly enjoyable experience, other than nobody else would do it and the profile would be incomplete. From memory, everything was deeply blue, which is to be expected as the shorter wavelength colours last longer as the rate of absorption is less, colours with a long wavelength are absorped greater with depth. Less than 25% of surface light penetrates beyong the first 10m, and red disappears first followed by orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and finally violet. At depth red appears as black, whilst white appears blue, what is also interesting is that the rate of absorption is not directly linked to just depth, the same applies to colours across the horizon. So whilst a red plug at 30ft deep is no longer red, a red plug at 1m depth but 30 m away on the horizontal plane is also no longer red.

Which colour shad or redgill which works best on a day clearly depends on what depth the fish are feeding at and also degree of cloud cover as light defraction will occur on poorly sunlit days