1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dacre Lake Pike Session

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by mike_t, Dec 13, 2013.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

My new kayak arrived but have not had time to do anything, but I received a call from Yakkin Sam to see if I fancied a trip down to Dacre lake. The forecast was to be cold all day with no wind and overcast. The first cold spell in a while. As I got all my gear together ready for Sam to pick me up I was glad I put the extra few layers on as it wasn't just cold, it was bloody freezing. Sam arrived soon enough and got the yak loaded up and the gear off we went.
    Arriving at the lake it had not got any warmer. We got set up and it was to be my first paddle of my Jackson Kayaks Cuda 14. I loaded all my gear in and with the storage space everything was away but at hand. I had the seat on the high position which was really comfy. Off we went to try capture one of the lakes residents. I had a lure rod with me and two dead bait rods, I started out with the lures to no avail so tried a few deads, one a roach drifted about under a float and the other a mackerel on the deck again float fished.
    Out on the water I was glad I kept dry as it was freezing cold I kept moving to keep warm, the flask was a god send doubling up as a hand warmer
    A shot from when I was warming me paws up
    [​IMG]

We both tried various locations and a verity of methods but could not buy a bite, happy to have got out and try the new yak and I was really impressed. We called it a day mid afternoon due to being freezing cold.
    A pleasant days fishing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sam in his Cuda
    [​IMG]

The trip was a week or two ago but a broken computer and phone stopped me from doing a write up. A lack of fish again, thanks for reading, Mike

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Good stuff Mike, I used to spend a lot of time at Dacre with the caravan. Unfortunately there haven't been any decent pike out of there for a while. I could usually winkle a jack from under the trees on the right hand side and have seen a few caught on dead baits on the far bank. Glad your enjoying the new ride :)

Ken

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Mike, twas a cold day! Will try again soon :)

4. mike_t

Have better pics on my camera, once comp sorted I'll put some up. It was cold but want to go back have a play with the lures looks like some nice areas on the lake to try.

5. congerball

congerball Blenny

That looks cold! Big Pike on a kayak would be fun tho.

Are there any 'legends/bull$hit' of monstrous Pike around Yorkshire/Cleveland? I love a good story. Any genuine monsters about?

6. mike_t

I've had a few instances, two at wykeham, a good friend of mine had a fish on a went over to land it for him and a 3-4lb jack was on the end but the big girl that had hold of it moments before was still behind it following it in, that was a big fish and never saw the bank the 3 years after that then I moved on.
    Another time on the trout lake before the big un came out I was on there in a boat fishing for the pike and a massive fish followed my lure right to the boat and turned last minute it was biggest fish I have ever seen.

I hear the odd whisper about castle Howard producing some big fish but your not allowed to fish it so have to be sneaky. Also hear of of big pike coming out the tees too upper 20s

Scaling dam has pike in, I have fished it twice and had two jacks out, I have a friend, a trout fisherman who had one out at 17 accidently. But the issue is the trout lads have been killing them.

7. congerball

congerball Blenny

That's interesting about wykeham...as I found this whilst searching about - http://internationalfishingnews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/uk-fisherman-smashes-record-by-catching.html?m=1

I wonder if that fish has been caught since then.

8. mike_t

That fish graced the bank a few times, matching the English record but not the UK record, I think it was 2oz off the record or something. That fish has not been out for a long time now so she has either gone belly up or managed to loose herself in the lakes.
    The pike lake there is interesting and the fish used to be tough to find but it did throw out a good few supprises.
    I still think that fish that followed my lure in that day on the trout lake was the big girl. the trout lake did a few big fish but last time I spoke to the new owner there was a private pike syndicate on the trout lake no one else could fish it.