1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cree headlights - Review Of High Powered Fishing headlights On Ebay

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lobbers, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Well I took delivery of a cree headlight today as my first one is getting old and I wanted a backup. I won it on fleabay for sixteen quid and it claims to be 3600 lumin well I've just had it out the back garden against my old 1600 lmn and guess what my old one is far brighter. So the 3600 lmn one mile beam is a complete piss take. I was expecting to light fags off this fooooker. Worst part about it is I jumped on the 3600 lmn and won it. Then the next day I saw a 5000 lmn one and thought I have to have it so I won that one for £19.01 but the buzz for that one arriving had gone with this so called 3600lmn. Dont get me wrong for £16 its a belter but I had high hopes of a retina burning delight.
    So when my so called 5000 lmn one comes if its the same lies well you've had a heads up on these so called 1m beam powerfull boooolocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

2. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Cree headlights

lol sounds like ya wanna set Whitby west alight,let us know how the 5000 is 8)

3. Mladds

Mladds Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sell it on here, sorted. ;)

4. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

I've just ordered 2 1800;s off e-bay, supplied from the uk be here Monday, Dont expect them to be much brighter than my 1600 but at £31 for 2 , plus 2 chargers with british plugs an 2 x 4 battey packs,shouldnt be a bad deal.Will let you know! LOL.

5. glassback

glassback Blenny

you can get them upto 9000 lumens paul
    i was going to get one .
    but went for a princeton tec pro .my old one did me well
    so this one is better with smaller batteries.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Mmmm, I dont get these mega high lumin lights. I have one thats 277 lumins and thats too bright.

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/fenix-head-torches/fenix-hp11-head-torch.html

7. Lobbers

And after not quite a couple of hours the low beam longevity test comes to an end. Fookim rubbish. If it was on high beam ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

8. Lobbers

Where do you obtain a Princeton tec pro mate???
    My apex is still going strong and have had it a long time now. It's just the big beam booooloccks of the cree I crave. The 1600 I own lasts all night mint. But this new one is already demoted to the fishing shed. If this. 5000 lmn is the same shoyt then cree no more

9. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm a great beleiver of u get wot u pay 4 !!,the princeton apex 200lmns r the dogs nads,not heard of the tec pro :eek:,personally i use a 350 lumen petzl pure power,had it years & can't fault e'm if i tryed,mega bright,long burn time,ultra reliable :D works 4 me.
    Tightlines everyone ;)

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Could it be the batteries Paul ? I told you about mine didnt I. Batteries lasted one charge. Ive heard a few times that they put old batteries in them. You can get a new set for a fiver.

11. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Also have 2 x 1600 lmns and one lasts a all night sesh on lower beam setting. Don't require any higher brightness, am a lighthouse now with them on full beam!

12. krysb

krysb Blenny

what batteries did they have in em? 18650? blue ultrafire or the red ones? red far outlast the blue, BUT to get a decent run out oof them, discarge them fully before recharging again, some of the lamps i had( have ) come with 1/2 charge in them, which needed discharging before use, i get a good 8hrs on low setting with my 1600's with red batteries, BUT if you shop around for batteries and get either panasonic or another named brand this can be exceeded well and truly exceeded

ps, a friend of mine has the 5000lumen one, his is just 3 firking lamps stuck on one headband, 1 x 1800 lumen, and 2 x 1600 lumen ( one each side )
    will give off a wider spread of light, BUT will only light up the same distance as a single 1800!!!!!!

i got mine from vickyshop on e bay, £10 notes all in for the 1600lumen inc charger and batteries and postage and i have not probs with em at all

kris

13. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have got the LED Lenser H7r and H14r, and, frankly, the H7r was absolutely fine for fishing, though the H14 is better for making ones way to and from. H7 was fine though.
    I do not see the point of trying to have a car headlight on my head. I stand with switched off 99% of the time anyway, and I suspect most others do too really.

14. Lobbers

Because I want to burn the competitions retina's out lol

15. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

I have a 1200 lumen cree and it's mint.

Granted the battery life can be an issue but cheap enough to carry around an extra couple of batteries for back up. Only about a fiver for 2.

The best thing about the bright beams on the crees is when you are fishing on Whitby West at night and the day trippers walk up to you asking silly questions, you just turn around and answer them politely with full beam straight in their eye balls. You can see them wince and quickly back off and go away with holes burnt in the back of their retinas. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't see the need for anything brighter unless you are just a bright light junky and in competition with your mates for who has the brightest head torch.

BP

16. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have you got a link to the one you bought kris???

17. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

remember putting you on to these lights lobbers and you going for the 1600 lumen one .
    i know these lamps state massive outputs and will probably be way off the mark but they are damned bright,
    wasnt the 1600 bright enough as i have only got them up to 1200 and that is way more than any lamp i,ve had before ,i often use my 600 as that is superb and the battery lasts an age.
    dont you think going for the bigger output will lessen you battery time when fishing,
    i think these lamps are going to get brighter and brighter or at least state they are but i will stick with what i have as more output means less time on full beam unless you start to carry loads of batterys which for me would defeat the object.

frank.

18. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

19. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Fiver each - if you search around and are very lucky.

The problem is that you just don't know what it is you are buying.

They (batteries) could be 'pulls' from old laptops in which case they may be good batteries (manufacturing wise) but have been in use for five years before they were pulled and 're-branded' (a bit of glitzy plastic costs pence if you are buying 1000's).

They could be pulled from new laptop power packs (and I did pull six this morning - (don't attempt this if you are unsure of your skills )) they could be brand new and as advertised but even then you don't get the 'specs' for what you retrieve from the pack.

You can buy 'brand', Panasonic 3400mAH for example, but you will pay six (ish) each and they could still be fakes.

In the end, as with everything else, it is a matter of trust. If you get (or are recommended) a reliable source then stick with it. I have some Panasonic coming from an e-bay supplier I have used before for other stuff. If they are the real deal then I will get them there in future. He's not the cheapest but he is in the ball park for the genuine article.

The batteries come in 'protected' or 'un-protected' forms. This is important because the protected ones will just stop with no warning (not always a good thing). The un-protected ones will potentially damage themselves trying to keep up appearances. Again, this is a choice. Laptop pulls are generally un-protected because a separate board inside the pack does the protecting.

If your battery (Glenn) only lasts for a single cycle then it is probably a 'protected' one and needs a charger that knows how to get it 'back in the game'. Again some chargers do and some of them don't.

So that's batteries and chargers :p

Lumens and all that nonsense ...

(Lobbers) Cree are at the top end of LED technology companies worldwide, there is nothing wrong with their kit. That could make them a target for fakes but their stuff isn't that expensive so I doubt that they are a major target for 'fakers'.

But ... If you get a headlamp with three XML-T6's in it then they are taking (at full manufacturer stated output) 10W each. Thirty Watts for three (1000 Lumen's each under lab conditions). Even the best Panasonic batteries wouldn't power that for long unless the pack had, say, six in there. Two batteries at full output world give you about 30mins at best.

In the end you need something that does what you want it to do and 'Cree LED's' and 'LiPo batteries' do all that is asked of them but there is so much scope for fakes and bulldoggy do do in the market that any purchase is a game of chance. Get a genuine T6 headlamp and some genuine Panasonic 3400's and you will get about the best available in 2013.

9000 Lumens on two 'laptop pull' batteries is just destined for disappointment.

My advice would be to buy the head torch separate from the batteries and not get too ambitious regarding advertised 'Lumens'. Someone mentioned 9000 (Lumens) earlier - well that is 9 T6's and a power supply that would have you sweating at night in January (100W). I could easily put nine T6's in a headband but the power supply (and the heat sink required) is something else again.

20. glassback

glassback Blenny