1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Crayfish??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by burtyme, May 19, 2016.

1. burtyme

burtyme Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Was Wondering??

Was watching Matt Hayes the other day, and they where discussing the problems River anglers have with Red Signal Crayfish. The "Expert" was saying they are a plague in the rivers and they get culled regularly, but the Carp and Chub eat them when they are Soft (Peeling?).

Has anyone ever used them as Sea Bait?, Had any success?

They must be very similar to the Peelers we use surely.

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Theres quite a few up here (Redcar) who bait fish with frozen prawns from Iceland and do ok with them , boat fishing that is

3. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

or get them from morrisons when they reduce them had some 20p a carton

4. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

I've boat fished out of Seahouses and the locals who regularly fish the boats use whole cooked prawns with heads and shell on pink hokkais or on bait rigs.
    I've seen plenty of codling caught like that up that way and its out fished squid & mackerel in the summer months.
    Not sure about crayfish though and I would think a lot more expensive than prawns unless you can collect them yourself and you might need a licence for that, so worth checking first.

BP