1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crabs for cart

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bibo, Jul 15, 2014.

1. bibo

bibo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Where is the best place to buy a box of crabs from and what price should I be expecting to pay for them just need them to make some cart up to get stocked up any advice would be help full thanks

2. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

we usually wait till they coral up later in the year oct/nov time before we use them, if i remember you usually pay around 40-50 quid for a box of crabs, you will need to talk to one of the potting lads

3. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As the man says, October.
    Make friends with a crabber and ask him to get you a box of hens, preferably damaged and near to unsaleable (though preferably most still alive).
    Expect a call last minute and a drive to pick them up within a few hours.
    If you get lucky, you can pay nearer £25.

4. bibo

Ill have to get ringing around then .so is there no point getting them at this time of year then to make bait

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Give Deano72 a shout for ready made/ready frozen and save yourself the messy graft.
    Top cart from a top lad.

6. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

messy job just buy it,same as diging worms tryed it. buy em now ::)

7. bibo

Not so much the mess its having time to do it . Is it pointless then buying a box of crabs at this time of the year then

8. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

yes because there is no coral in them until later in the year.

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

The coral thing is a load of rubbish rich,it catches the angler more than fish.

10. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If you do get a box, when you go pick it up go armed with a bucket, flat sieve, funnel and jerry can, and do it all on a beach.
    If you take a box home, you will regret it. Serious mess everywhere and the shells from one tray will absolutely fill a wheelie bin.
    Smack them with an axe to crack shells, empty in bucket. Keep claws to eat with garlic butter?
    Hold sieve over bucket and pour off all excess water so only solids remain. The pour solids through funnel into jerry can.
    When home, freeze in shallow trays about 1 inch deep.
    Cut and wrap in cling film.
    I cast out in muslin/cheese cloth, and keep cling film to discard later.

Good luck.

Incidentally, some people do fish with fresh edible insides even through summer with some success, but I cannot really say whether it is as good as when in coral?

11. bibo

I have been told that the hole coral thing is a bit of a myth might get a box now and see if there's a difference .thats sound advice about doing all the messy work on the beach .the bin would stink for two weeks if it stays this hot

12. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

depends where you do the cart, but dont leave them all over the beach in a tourist area,anglers have a bad enough name as it is,there has been trouble locallly with anglers chucking shells anywhere,behind hedges,down clliffs etc in full view and smell of every one,we may need the publics help in the future and this type of stuff doesnt do us any good.lol,fisherman may stop supplying them if we dont dispose of the shells correctly,rant over lol
    defo more in them later in the year,but if your using them now just make sure there old shell ones
    bb

13. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

The coral thing is a load of rubbish rich,it catches the angler more than fish.
    [/quote]

Totally agree IMHO it's the yolk that counts, I also think that late may early June is the best time as this is when the crabs seem to be at their fullest.

14. bibo

Have head that people aren't freezing the crabs just smashing them open and lashing the insides to the hook as they fish