1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab Nuggets

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by TangleJock, Oct 13, 2010.

1. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well what can I say, this is a very belated report – I didn’t manage to put this together earlier due pressure of work. Also, I notice that the cod are now showing well for anglers down south. However, there is a specific point to the story so I finally managed to find the time to put this brief comment together.

Many of you will know from looking at my previous comments to reports that I have not had a fantastic summer fishing for cod. In fact, I’m sure that Big Cliff, GJH, and Co posted their excellent reports on summer fishing in the Arbroath area just to get a rise out of a local Scotsman! In terms of cod, I’ve blanked every trip since late Easter – now that’s quite a few trips.

Anyway, from their reports and from information provided by Big Cliff, I know they place great faith in peeler crab. Thing is, I was having difficulty finding a ready supply from the local beaches. I therefore decided to purchase some of the Lincolnshire peeler crab with skin. The crab duly arrived and I set off on 19th September for Arbroath Victoria park area. Yes, it is a month since my trip – time flies. However, the sea at Vicky park was very heavy and difficult to fish, so I packed up and high-tailed it for Auchmithie. What a difference - out of the direct wind, there was a fairly gentle swell and a clearing sea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So here was the test. Two rods, each with the same set up, a pulley rig and a 5 oz lead, one fishing my regular bait, calamari squid with frozen black lug, verses the other with the Lincolnshire peeler.

Crab nugget versus squid and lug.
    [​IMG]

The Lincolshire baits indicate that “THE CRAB WITH SKIN IS MADE FROM PEELER CRAB WITH OTHER NATURAL ATTRACTANTS WE USE A CLEVER SEMI PERMEABLE MEMBRANE TO KEEP IT ON THE HOOK, EVEN UNDER THE HARDEST POWER CASTING THERE IS NO NEED TO TIE IT ON THE HOOK. JUST HOOK THROUGH THE BAIT TWICE AND CAST IT TO WHERE YOU WANT TO FISH.”

The baits are individually wrapped and when unwrapped have a particularly pungent, but to my nose, artificial smell. The baits are quite dry and when broken in two have a consistency like filler putty or modeling clay. The good thing is, the baits are very moldable and can be shaped to the hook.

[​IMG]

Side by side I liked the look of the more natural bait of squid and lug, but there is no mess when hooking up the peeler crab nuggets – in my view a great benefit.

The two rods were then cast out to locations about ten yards apart, and the expectant wait began.

[​IMG]

I did not have to long wait – I had stepped away from the rods – looked back in time to see one of the rods nodding away. Eventually managed to get back to the rod and pulled in a nice bouncing codling. Not a big fish by any means, perhaps a pound and a half. But after my cod-less summer I was well pleased. Which rod did it fall to? Yes, you’ve guessed – the natural bait of squid and lug.

Little cod just before release.
    [​IMG]

I pulled in the other rod – the bait was still there. I cast them out again but swapped their positions. Again, another pull on the rod – I lifted the rod and pulled into the fish – nothing there. It was the squid bait – when I later pulled in, the bait was all but gone. Alas, not a nod on the other rod.

Fishing continued, swapping round the rods occasionally to give each of the baits a fair chance. Another, codling same size as the last fell to the squid bait, and then another considerably larger fish that dropped off among the kelp at the waters edge – Sod’s Law.

At the end of the evening, three fish had fallen to the squid but none to the peeler nuggets. Of course, one good thing – the peeler nuggets last well on the hook!

Now this is clearly not a good controlled test of the crab nuggets, but I did learn something from this very enjoyable evening. And, most importantly, I broke my long string of blanks. I hope to follow up later in the cod season with a further test of the nuggets side-by-side with other baits especially real crab. I’ll let you know how I get on.

One other thing, I’ve recently tried the Neolithic rock weights as designed by Big Cliff.
    [​IMG]

see "AN ALTERNATIVE ------- WELL MAYBE"

They work a treat – I like using them on rough ground and don’t mind when I loose one, especially as they are environmentally friendly and I’m not leaving lumps of lead everywhere. I find they are great in light seas, but have a tendency to lift and drag in a heavier sea. Use them in the right conditions and there is no need for an expensive and toxic lead. They get my vote!

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hope youve learned your lesson there mate. Lincs Peeler = waste of time, effort and worst of all money. Find a local potting boat. Buy several stone of female edible crabs, scoop out the inside and freeze. You will then start to see some results. Congrats on the fish youve had so far by the way.

If you need the pics posting them send them to me at whitbyseaanglers@gmail.com

Best fishes - Glenn

3. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Well done on breaking your duck mate,and like Glenn said dont waste time and money on rubbish bait

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done on the fish mate, wish you'd done a search on lincs peeler before you wasted your cash, its been proven before, they are a complete waste of money.

If you had had some crab cart as glenn suggests youd probably have bagged up.

as for the stone weights, Alan was using them up st Abbs on tuesday. As you say great for fishing in flat seas . I will definitely be getting some made up.

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done on the fish , broke your summer duck at last , as for the lincoln peeler as stated give it a wide berth :wink: ,

in the very hole you were fishing ,myself and my mates had fish from there this summer ,
    and the bait , FRESH PEELER, we had wrasse and codling , and allso from the scars just to the left of the pier,

you were defo in the right place but with the wrong bait,
    fresh peeler will outfish squid and blacks untill into the winter ,

that is what i have learned from Alan (big cliff) :yes:
    so save that bait for the winter and tipp it with a nice piece of mackerell :wink:

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well done David pleased for you , Its also nice to see you using those pebbles , I think theres a few of the lads are having thoughts of going
    down the same road , they reckoned i had lost the plot , as if :laugh: :laugh:

7. timbo007

timbo007 New Member

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done on your codling catch Tanglejock :happy: Sounds like those Linconshire peelers are good value for money by the sounds of it, as one will last you a season! The fact that they don't catch fish lets them down slightly :whistle: The jockrock weights look very impressive :surprise: I was wondering the other day if you happened to catch owt and hey presto, your post appears. Thanks for the update and pics and hopefully your son is back on speaking terms with you :wink: