1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Tags:
  1. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I can't and won't comment on anybody elses cart Bait Glenn but a mate of mine had some from you last year and was very happy with it. i'll be having a slab in a fortnights time if you have any left. I'm up that way for the weekend of the 3rd oct. I'll pm you a few days before to see if you have some left and sort out collection and payment.

2. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Sent you a pm mate

3. oddjob

oddjob Blenny

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If you have Boyes store where you live they do finger bandage packs for under £2 .

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I

6. robq

robq Rockling

7. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

£20 for a box of crab... This is the 2 post I have read that states this as an approx price.
    I would love to try making my own cart
    Can anyone give me details of supplier who can supply next time I am at the coast. As to get it from MY local wholesalers (90 miles from coast) it is more than any £20

Thanks
    Carl

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It depends when you get them, if you get prime crab in season it will be a lot more. Or 'blackwitch' crab crab that is of lower quality and so not attractive to the fishmongers, or 'leggers' those missing their claws.
    If you get prime rab you will pay a lot more.

One of my suppliers was good for a box of leggers for £18 then due to him being pestered by people who had read how cheap it should be he stopped supplying.

Since then been anything from £24 a box to £42 a box FROM A COUPLE OF OTHER PLACES..

A good supplier of live crab is worth looking after once sourced and only my opinion but not something to post on a forum.

The cart Glenn sells looks top quality and the reports very good of how it fishes.

Or try popping onto he fish piers at Scarborough and Bridlington at landing times, maybe build up a contact so that if the potter has less than best quality he might call you so you could go and pick up.

I had to make some trips at odd hours after a call not as simple as just placing an order.The sea state will effect when the potter can get out to his pots as well, you will more than likely have to be prepared to go at a moments notice after a phone call.

Then be ready for your car to stink of crab for ever after driving any distance inland with water running ou tof the fish boxes ! My missus was not impressed afetr that happened with a couple of boxes, never got rid of the stink.

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Contacts are hard to get, a lot of them dont like messing about with people coming to the quoy, they prefer to sell in bulk to a middleman, getting rid of all the crabs in 1 go. Im lucky that my x neighbour is a good friend with a lot of contacts and he will go out of his way to help me, a lot of people wont.

If you get a supplier, look after him and never question the price as they will soon stop bothering with you. Be ready to go to the quoy at a moments notice when they phone you. I often get a call when my mate is at the pier ends and he expects me down there straight away. Also be prepared for being let down due to bad weather days when they cant get to sea.

10. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Thanks for the info chaps,

Looks like it will be easier to buy a kilo or two from Glenn next time I am in Whitby

Also the car gets to smell of air freshener not crab

Carl

11. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

the trouble with buying cart from some commercial outlets is, a question of quality, - when i buy a box of crabs for cart baits i find inevitably there are a few crabs that are virtually dead - and i bin these strait away, even if they dont smell, because to a fish they just might.

and i am convinced these iffy crabs will be mixed in with your other crab cart , therefore making the whole batch second rate- so i would say do them yourself ,then you know the quality is spot on , or the next best scenario ask around for a supplier who comes thouroughly reccomended

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Lets suppose i am walking along redcar front, and a boat is selling fresh crab, say i bought half a dozen decent crab , how much cart would i expect to get,

you see the thing is ,i live in a flat ,and have very little room to work with,
    i would have to make it up outside my door,with probably a neighbour or two passing :angry: nosey bas***ds.

13. joe123lumbo

joe123lumbo Blenny

I put mine in ice cube molds then put them in tesco's home brand tights , cut them down and tie in a knot.

Works well for me :)

Cheers

Joe

14. woody

woody New Member

i have been meesing with the ice cube mould idea too joe but cnt find a mould thats big enough ? was ganna just put in normal trays and put plastic partitions to make them to the size i like to use will save a lot of time !!!

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Woody these work really well , I either just freeze mine in a block or if I can be bothered put the cart in these ice stick trays. They are silicone and so the cart once frozen just pushes out then either wrap in cling film or push into finger bandage etc. From Tesco a while ago but they are available online for not much. Makes a stick about 8" long by 1" by 3/4" so you get either 4 small baits per stick or 3 large baits.

I tend to freeze mine flat and cut it but these trays are also good for making mussel sticks and even razor lug mussel sticks and then carry the frozen baits in a bait flask. I found them good when living further from the coast so I could make up baits and freeze them and then keep them frozen til cast out.

[​IMG]

16. woody

woody New Member

cheers dave the only ones i could find that were the right size were some funny co!k shaped ones for hen partys :canadian: :canadian: :embarrass: :embarrass: they would be funny to use !!!! could even take our lass .... and if she didnt like it she can go F!"£$£!K herself :whistle: ha ha ha

17. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

18. woody

woody New Member

:embarrass:hope she doesnt read this :whistle:

19. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

you mean :hurt: :death:
    :laugh:

20. newscctv

newscctv Guest