1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cowbar jetty warning

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lobbers, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Cowbar Jetty At Staithes

I rejoined the Mary's club today and headed for cow jet. Straight away I could see the easterly had knocked the sea Grey and before I started I didn't feel fishy. I had two under mops then a size mop.

Then something strange happened. The sea started surging and it sort of filled up.

Thing like this on there always make me feel uneasy so I put every thing in my box and battened down just in case. I had a slamming bite and slack liner so was up and at it on the boulders at the front.

Everything looked ok I missed the fish so wound in and clipped another baited and back up onto the boulders to cast. So I'm back out there waiting turns me back to light a smoke and I turned round to a wall of water.

Never even heard it hit the boulders. I quickly turned round and it smashed me into the concrete pillar. Unhurt but shocked to say the least.

My rod was in a twisty so survived my box never moved so all fine but it's shat me up a bit. I just bit me line and fooooked straight off. Very strange as it came from nowhere and seemed to be from a completely different direction that the sea was coming from. I'm still getting judders now thinking about it...

Half tide up on a block tide my head can't compute where this £ uc£er came from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

easterlies paul. Always seem bigger than northerlies and the outer scars stop them untill they roll over the top. Just like west pier, it looks ok till and hour before high, they then start to come over the rock top and the are huge, running down the under decks of the pier. Its the very reason I wont go into Hawsker on a sea with any east in it. its bloody dangerous.

Never trust an easterly.

Just pleased your ok and here to tell the tale.

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Jesus Christ, and that's from a guy who knows them rocks like the back of his hand, never fooooook with mother nature.................the advice on easterly is gunna stick here from now on

4. oneeyed

oneeyed Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's mental glad you ok and congrats on the 50 challenge. Was in carpark at sandsend watching the sea coming in but it just was not then all of a sudden it surged in small wave after wave was like a mini psunami nothing as queer as the sea.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Also a growing sea was forecast for this evening. But yes Easterlies. Stand in Hawsker and look at 6ft of nw. Then stand there and look at 6ft of east and tell me its not coming at you twice as high. Those swells are funny on some marks.

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Glad your ok paul . i was just saying tonight when it was surging at runswick that it would be coming over the jetty tonight

7. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Makes me nervous just thinking about that. Ive been smashed against a rock by a wave before and it isn't pleasant. It's quite conceivable it could fully knock you clean out.

The sea can be as unpredictable as it is predictable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

8. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Glad your ok paul.I had the same happen to me on there a long time ago and like you I am still lucky enough to be here to remember it.Quite a few haven't been so fortunate. Might have no relevance but Stiffmiester was saying on here lately about huge surges coming in over the area when they flood a disused shaft at boulby mine.But it was most likely the big easterly to blame

9. steve (hindzey)

steve (hindzey) New Member

Glad your ok paul! I was on whitby west last year fishing with a bit of east wind blowing when three big surges came from nowhere and i said i bet they catch a few people out and sure enough two lads were washed in further north somewhere! You can never be too carefull!

10. bow1

bow1 Rockling

bloody hell paul!!!!
    glad ur ok though.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

11. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

DK That must be the worst piece of advice that I have ever seen on here did you not watch the airlift rescue? How well do you know this mark? I have 20 years experience but I don't need to tell Simon about the cond itions because every one else has apart from you. No you don't fish it on a big northerly at all and you just answered that by saying you got the crap kicked out of you and so did the other lads that are fishing :-[ 3 hours into the flood? All I can say is your lucky your not dead. Cowbar jetty can be flat calm and boulby potash will flood a disused mine and you get a sunami effectivethen it hits that jetty with such force that you get washed in with any piece of gear that's not tied down. It's very deceptive looking and to be honest even the locals have been caught out and washed in so to say what you have is very negligent as you nearly went in yet you still say it's OK to go on? Yeah ok :mad:

stiffmeister a would really like to no where you get that info from about flooding disused mines at boulby ,that causes a sunami???? i work on the face at boulby and that m8 doesnt happen at all !!!!quite funny reading this, we mine with a big mining machines that cuts the face and i can assure you the dont flood old workings plus its over a mile underground!!!!

12. Lobbers

On the pluss side last nights scrape was a good test for my new heavy duty vass tex smock, dry as a bone I was like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

13. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

lobbers it might of been boulby mine blowing up one of there disused shafts tony was on about in another post, that caught you off guard!!!!. glad your ok bud. remember jimmy having a near miss on there

14. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

ive never heard so much rubbish in all my life about blowing up disused workings at boulby how is that gonna cause a sunami over a mile under ground!!! and for 1 the dont blow old workings up at all !!!

15. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

would create some really deep holes along the coast that might be worth a cast or two lol ;) ;)

16. Lobbers

£ucksake it was a £uclking wave caused by erm let me think......
    £ucking wind
    Boulby causing toonarmy's
    I thought my ar$e talked $hite

17. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

you have a pm lobbers

18. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Lol glad that's been cleared up. I was hoping you might shed some light on this Sie.

19. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

Made me chuckle reading that ste !! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

20. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

No wonder I like sitting on the cliff tops ! ;)