1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COWBAR CLIFFS | WHERE TO FISH ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rusty1, Nov 27, 2007.

1. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Alright lads,

Can anyone shed any light on fishing cowbar cliffs for me? Ive fished cowbar gully and a few other holes round towards boulby but never actually fished off the tops, but definately fancy giving it a shot.

Ive had a wander along and it seems pretty hard to find anywhere near enough to the edge to haul fish up etc and the only place ive seen people fishing is just to the left of the road as it starts to swing down into staithes.

Any help owuld be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Phil

2. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Re: Cowbar cliffs

You fish from just below the car park on the clifftop. There is a white trig post in the car park. And you've guessed it, the spot is called the 'white post'.
    Regards Col.

3. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Imaginative folk us fisherman with the names eh ;D

Cheers col, Ill have to have a look down there.

4. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

just before the road swings to the right as you start to go down the bank there is a gate straight ahead of you.go through this and it takes you onto cowbar nab.go right along to the end and fish the seaward side into cowbar nab hole.this mark is called the gardens i think.

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

Was up ther last night with Big cliff and a few mates had some good fishing...Big Cliff got the best one up at 7lb 4oz his son Martin got a real good fish that we couldn't lift up so we tied it which the hook snood eventually parted.. i got 2 for just under 11lb, mart had another 2 fish best 6lb 14oz..all good stamp of fish. its a great spot to fish if you can get your head around the height..There is about 6 or 7 diffrent marks up on cowbar cliffs all fish in slightly diffrent times tides and sea condition's as Col said the main spot is the white post, this spot is slightly to the right of the old car park and there is a white post on the cliff top just to the right you will see a the ledge that we fish from.. try giving Big Cliff a personnel message...he will gladly give you all the info you need.

6. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Cheers Guys.

Just wanted a starting point really :) Sure once Im up there ill see lights dotted along at the various marks. Just fancied somewhere a bit different from sandsend cliffs which is where I always seem to end up these days.

Cheers again :)

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

was up one the cliffs last night, not much terra, plenty of firmer-----
    had fish up to 7lb 4 oz + other good fish around, certainley knocks the pants off sandsend carpark, and alot more spots i can think of

8. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

How high are the cliffs there . Similar to Bemmo or not ??

9. steerser

steerser Blenny

[​IMG]
    don't know about bemmo jim but this is cowbar nab :)

[​IMG]
    this is penny nab to the south of the harbour

10. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

The cliff is about 90-100 feet.
    Regards Col.

11. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

Similar to Flamborough them. Bemmo is upto 400ft in places. Cheers :) :)

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yeah only kids cliffs compared with bemmo... but believe me it still seems along way down when you are heaving a biggie up.... :)

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: COWBAR CLIFFS | WHERS TO FISH ???

Ill Just stick this in here to cover my neck -

All Rock fishing is dangerous and you are at risk everytime you go. You always fish at your own risk and should do everything possible to keep yourself safe.

Health and safety

Angling from the shore in the UK is very hazardous to say the least. Every year lives are lost whilst pursuing our fascination with sea angling. Anglers of all levels of ability need to be very very careful indeed - having fallen badly myself last year I'm as aware as anyone of the dangers of rock fishing. At this point I would like to offer a few words of advice to anglers.

Never attempt to fish a new area without the help and advice of someone experienced in fishing that area.

Always check the tide and ensure you will be safe to access and exit your chosen area. Watch out for cut off points. If unsure don't go. Its not worth it.

Be aware of the weather forecast. Conditions can change fast.

Don't access closed areas, eg piers whilst the storm gates are shut.

Carry some form of communication.

Tell someone where you are going and when you intend to return. Ask them to raise the alarm should you not return.

Do not fish heavy seas. Its very dangerous and your wasting your time anyway, fish don't like really rough seas. Leave it a day or 2 until the sea is dieing.

Maybe you cliff fishing experts can discuss the things you do to keep yourselves safe ?

14. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

And don,t forget to change your underpants before you go because if you fall and die you will bring shame on all of your family! :p
    I hurt my ankle too, can I sue you Glenn? ::)

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

;D Mad sod.

You never know in this day and age, someone the other day was telling me their was talk of fencing off every cliff in the UK for health and safety reasons. Seriously though I don't want anyone complaining to me if they have a miss hap.

16. Tala

Tala New Member

Last year I fished the street light area, got myself set up in the dark, started to wander along the edge as you do and then whallup,
    I fell backwards (lucky lucky) :p. It turned out some tet had left half a reel full of line just laying at the cliff edge waiting for someone to get all tangled up :mad:. That someone was me! I shut myself! :-\.
    If people are going to fish the tops have a good look at your surroundings before getting settled in,, you never know it may save your life ;).
    And for others!!!! take all your crap home!!!!

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Spot on tala.........

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

Spot on Tala......I fish the cliffs a lot and i hate it when i go and see litter everywere mostly mussel shells clingfilm....don't know why they dont chuck the mussel shells over the side and stick the cling film and other bits in a bag and take it home with them....
    Cliff fishing can be very dangerous but i dont think as dangerous as fishing down below which we all do with out thinking of the dangers..
    the dangers off cliff fishing well one is don't step to far because it would be one hell of a step.. :eek: and well if the cliff collapses well thats good night...fishing down below..well slipping on the rocks breaking a leg or knocking yourself unconsious tide flooding in.. :'( getting cut off with no were to climb up onto..... One which i have encounted, which i hate doing now is getting round to certain marks on the ebb while you are tight up against the cliff bits are falling from the cliff all the time and i once got hit on the head (yeah yeah i have never been the same since)..only a very small piece but it was enought to almost knock me out and cut open my head..if it was any bigger i probably wouldn't be here today.. What i am trying to get across is that there is a lot of danger in our sport, so just think and take a bit extra care..Think Big Cliff was about right he said the biggest danger in Cliff fishing is the car journey there. But this doesn't mean you should switch off once you get there allways be aware of the dangers..
    TIGHTLINES. :)

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah nowt worse than walking right under the cliffes ......talk about paranoid.....sound like you were lucky there gary ......

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just stumbled onto this map if its any good for anyone

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/jpg/2YS-Staithes-map.jpg