1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cowbar And Steers - Home Of Big Cod

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lobbers, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

well i had a night off monday and started shaking cold turkey knowing there was still sea on so slid from work and shot off to cowbar with the intent of catching high water on cow jet,

at the top before i went down in my car i had to stop, well it looked mint on streetlight so decided to have a chuck off the cliff, well what a fooooooooking mistake, i nowofficially hate cliff fishing,

i had no pole nowt, so what happens on my third cast, i hooks a bloody pig. decisions needed to be made, becase i could'nt physically lift it with the rod, i stood on rod but could'nt even get any line to twist to try pull it through rings, so i walked backwards with line wrapped round arm as if pulling for a brake, and thats what it felt like, it was a good lump too much for my 50lb hooklength, it just snapped. :sad: :wounded:

i cast out again a prebaited trace, and was soon into another fish, on the lift it felt 3 or 4lb, i got it almost to the top and it caught up on the lower ledge, so i dropped it back down a bit and went for it with a bit more crank, when it hit the lower ledge i tried to just rive it over and it popped off :hurt:.

next cast i had bites and slack liners, at wich point paul garbutt turned up behind me to see if i had owt. "i could have done with you ten son of a guning mins ago",

anyway we went down to the bottom and headed off to simmy scaur. i never feel too fishy at the back of simmy, i've only had odd fish early from here in the past.

any way i smashed a 3crab cocktail out , paul followed, we stood chatting for a while during wich time i had had two strange slow long pulls down on my rodtip,

then on the third attempt it hit hard, and i tell you what, it fought like a fooooking nutjob , keeping my rod low fighting hard, but it was soon on the deck but still going off its napper, a fighting fit seven pounder and a season best.

i had another decent fish at me , and i had wound it in most of the way before it found something and went. at this point we were joined by dink, well daz wasted no time pulling in a two pounder, paul went to nab. it was bite after bite, i managed two codling more 2lb apiece, dink a lobster.

dink went home i had one more cast for nowt, so headed off to cow jet for a couple of chucks, where i met forum member boony, the sea had almost totally levelled , and i was being crabbed off baddly so decided on home. boony very kindly offered to take a picture with my camera of my three codling because could i hell find my normal camera bitch dale, so fpo will add pics for me later :yes:

[​IMG]

2. mike33

mike33 New Member

Re: cowbar and steers

Nice report Paul seems to be a few of them piggies showing now.....bring it on.......Mike

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Hard lines Paul, cracking report though bud, felt like I was beside you

4. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, welldone, i had a nite off paul went to see skyfall in a nice warm cinima

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done on the fish Paul and unlucky on the biggie.

6. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

very eventfull session well done the 7lber

7. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

well done mate, you might hit 50 on sunday

8. Markj

Markj Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great reading Paul and great fish unlucky with the big one . Still haven't christened that kompressor I bought off you.

Mark.

9. bow1

bow1 Rockling

well done paul.shame bout the leviathon!!!
    we looked at that shot last week and where commenting on how difficult it would be with a pig on and some help.never mind alone!!!

had i been able to get mt arse in gear id have round that way last night.
    wot state if tide was it mate?

by the way ive still got the 525 tourney if u interested in a swop

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

You will be back up on those cliffs :yes: Its always a bummer when it happens , our lad had one 6lb 5oz off the whitepost on sunday night , I think
    I would have cut the line and tied it off after sliding a carrier bag down the line it makes finding the fish easier , we made some traces up so that the last 10 inches or so was made up of that plastic coated wire that you can use for conger / tope if the big fish is gut hooked it stops the fish rasping through the line , on occasions we have lost good cod on 80 lb mono snoods because of rasping , the wire stops that

11. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

He might well! (Lobbers - take a night off, you have to Dec 31st)

So what am I doing wrong here? Friday/ Saturday braved the horrible weather and slung some delicious looking Crabs into the sea - nothing. Nearest I came to fish was the bird sh%t on by bag.

Don't tell me there were no fish about because every angler I bumped into had a nice bag of fresh coddies.

I just give up - might as well have saved the cash and time over the years and bought a fooking Trawler and some depth charges.

12. Lobbers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice one Paul. I love your pics. I always look and wonder if your thinking "Hey dude, dont £uck with me". Keep up the good work.

14. Lobbers

nah just thinking hurry up and take the pic, im tired and i want to go to bed :laugh: