1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Count Dracula Weekend

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by lochbois, Oct 29, 2010.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Their will be some Mr and Mrs Dracula walking round the town of Whitby this weekend.
    Dracula will be popular on the Pier wont he.
    I hope they get a good weekend and generate a lot of tourism for the Town.
    Pity the council cant see that the East Pier needs reopening to get more people to use both sides of the harbour.
    Its so crazy that they let a tourist attraction simply get washed away in the home of Captain Cook.
    S

2. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They say it costs to much money bit shurely they will be making more in the long run with more tourists? or am i thinking to logicaly?

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

4. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

aye the towns dressed in black this weekend mate, unfortunatley they seem to have forgotten that people live and work here this year, yesterday there must have been thousands (and Im not exaggerating) passing over the swing bridge and church street during the afternoon, a continuous stream which would not relent to traffic and therefore myself and my customers were trapped on the east side for over an hour each time I did a town service run....this is usually a 20 min run, this means people of the town late for work and disruption for the people who have to use the buses due to mobility problems
    Ive always thought of the goths as a very polite and respectful group of people but the way in which I saw them acting yesterday has changed my view quite a bit, Ive never know it like that before.
    if the event has escalated to the status of a festival then it should be marshalled and stewarded like any other festival and made livable for the residents of the town its held in, all it wouold take are a few people in high vis ensuring the paths are stuck to on the main roads around town
    Im all for tourism as its the lifeblood of the town, but its still a lived in town and not a theme park, I doubt very much that mr and mrs goth would parade down the middle of the road during rush hour in bradford/(insert city name here) so why do it in whitby?

5. Baramundi Bob

Hi Ben,

Do you think its maybe time that the town centre was completely pedestrianised or made a one way system. The town just isnt meant to have the amount of traffic and people all in the same place, something must give. Thankfully I was on foot yesterday but I fully appreciate your frustration.

[​IMG]

More pics here :

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/whitby-goth-weekend-2

6. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Some of them Goths are right freaks, but must admit some are quite tasty :kiss:

7. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

First time i'd been in town when the Goth weekend is on. Some of their outfits must cost a fortune. Was surprised by the amount of 'older' types dressed up, always thought it was a young persons type of thing. I thought there were more people about than on regatta weekend?. Must have been fun trying to drive out of town today when it finished!

8. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yeh couldnt eat a whole 1 though :cheesy:

9. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

they can be as tasty or freaky as they like quint so long as they stay on the bloody paths :cheesy:

as far as making whitby town centre pedestrianised I think thats unviable as the businesses need the roads for delivery trucks etc, not to mention the public transport that many people rely on throughout the year
    also a one way system would be a nightmare in the summer, imagine the queues in and out of town.
    its simple, put a railing on each side of the swing bridge paths forcing people to use the pavements and stay out of the road, with the ever increasing numbers of visitors we get year upon year it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt on that bridge.
    take my bus for example, its engine is in the back of the vehicle, at low speed it is fairly quiet especially when amongst 5000 rowdy drunken vampires, I was following one man across the bridge who was completley oblivious to my presence....till I blew the air horn and made him jump 10 foot up in the air
    if I had taken to the bridge slightly faster or the guy had fallen in the street it may have resulted in an injury under the wheels of my bus, how you miss a 7 ton box on wheels following you down a road is a mystery to me.
    as Ive said before I have no issues with tourism but respect is needed for personal safety and the fact that you are on holiday does not grant immunity from harm.
    seriously can you think of any other national event that is completley without any element of crowd controll?

10. Baramundi Bob

Hi Ben, would you believe me if I told you the bridge used to be 2-way traffic ? Imagine that.

I would agree that there were more people in town yesterday than over regatta. I would think it viable to close the town to traffic. Allow deliveries before 10.30 am and after 5pm like baxtergate and then make it public transport only. When you see all the cars backed up to Mayfield road and every car park full I do wonder where on earth they think they are going. Whitby was not built to handle the amount of people it is now seeing, and there is no point in them all driving into town.

11. Baramundi Bob