1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Infected

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I did a lot of research on Antivirus software last year. Bought Bitdefender for £40 for 3 commputers. Stopped working after a month, so I gave up on it

2. makaman

makaman Guest

best 1 i find is windows own its free microsoft security essentials

3. ted_stickle

ted_stickle Blenny

I have AVG free version.

Had it years and cant say i've had any bother since i installed it plus it runs in the background and is not memory hungry as i have found some bought versions to be.

4. TheCodfather

TheCodfather Guest

best way to delete any bad virus boot up in safe mode and delete the files that way.

download and install spybot search and destroy

avg free edition anti virus good

but if u want to pay for a 1 i use kaspersky which has reel time monitoring and anything try`s to install itself kapersky blocks access and deletes it.

and dont use internet explorer its c.r.a.p use firefox way more secure.

any 1 else infected press this link follow removal instructions:

http://www.myantispyware.com/2011/01/26/how-to-remove-antivirus-net-virus/

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Glen I have avg2011 free ,and it reminds me of updates,
    never had a problem with it .

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

7. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ive had a similar virus and couldnt get shot of it
    took my computer in to a guy in town and he sorted it and installed avg on the PC, havent had a problem since.
    at the time I also had spybot S+d installed but it failed to detect the problem each time

8. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

On The laptop I use bullguard, works very well stopped us getting hacked a wile back not had a virus. He says. Not on this one. The old laptop got one bad and who ever did it got all the info ect and was trying to hack into the Mrs bank account. And that was with agv.

But if they want to mess up your comp they can.

9. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Avast has done me proud it blocked 2 Trojan horses and other threats whilst surfing web sites for bearings ! Hardly dodgy sites but it did its job - free

10. Baramundi Bob

Matty,

Ive put comodo on. One thing I was a bit wary of when I installed it. A box came up saying it would change my internet dns. Im not worried about how safe this is but a little concerned it may slow down my connection.

D\o you know anything about this setting and how it can be undone.

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Hi Glenn, its a feature of comodo called secure DNS where it sets your DNS server to comodo's - which will block access to known dodgy sites.

should be fine but you can always remove the DNS settings and go back to your previous settings (probably automatic DNS server selection)

"If your Comodo antivirus program uses Comodo’s Secure DNS feature, it’s possible that this feature is blocking specific URLs. This service routes requests through the Comodo network of redundant DNS servers. This service blocks known malicious sites by referring to a huge, constantly evolving database. You can check to see if your computer is using this service by going to Start > Control Panel > View Network Status > View Status > Properties > TCP/IPv4 > Properties and checking the DNS server addresses. If the addresses are 156.154.70.22 and 156.154.71.22, then your computer is using the Secure DNS feature. To reverse this, you’ll need to know the original DNS server addresses and enter them here. You can contact your ISP for this information. If your computer uses a router to access the Internet, you’ll need to check your router’s DNS server settings. This process varies, so check your router’s help files to see how to check the DNS server settings. The DNS addresses are the same as above.

12. Baramundi Bob

will using their dns slow down your connection matty ?

13. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use comodo antivirus and internet suite..used it for a few years now and not had any problems, and its free.

14. Baramundi Bob

Ive just took it off, it felt like it was slowing my connection.

15. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I used it glenn and it didnt affect mine but if their dns servers are a long way away (ie america) then its possible it could slow it down.

16. Baramundi Bob

Thats what I was thinking Matty. The connection in Whitby is bad enough as it is. Im gonna reinstall it and overrise that option.

17. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

True story, I hate having to use PC at work now. Rumour has it that when our new school opens in September it's gonna be a mac school though, that'll be ace if it's true.

18. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

couple of free antivirus that are very good ,can download them for free.
    avast or avg, both will update themselves for free and would recomend either

19. Baramundi Bob

A guy I have been building a website for is having similar problems with something called security shield. Has anyone any advice on getting rid of that one for him.

20. TheCodfather

TheCodfather Guest