1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming To Whitby Fishing Festival 2013 - Your Advice Would Be Appreciated

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by kayos, Jun 28, 2013.

1. kayos

kayos Guest

My partner Lynn and I are coming down on Monday to take a run at the festival, with 4 trips booked.

We have lots of shads, jellies and plastics. Our usual bait is squid and mackerel. Although with no mackerel showing in the Clyde so far, we might have to buy it! Any baits we may be missing? Prawns any good down your way? Don't think we will get peeler, but should we consider worms and mussels?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. driffangler

driffangler Hull City A.F.C "Come on u Tigers"

Re: Coming to Whitby festival

Think you have about got it covered, we caught mackeral last friday at whitby so you should be able to catch some fresh instead of buying.

3. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fresh mackerel would be good if you can get it. I know the lads further north of whitby (hartlepool, Sunderland) have been getting them on the prawns. I was out last Sunday and got most of mine on peeler or mussel .... If I were you I'd try get a bit of everything all things considered lately : )

4. kayos

kayos Guest

Yeah it has looked like a quite start so far. First of our trips in Wednesday. So looking forward to it, as our week up Hartlepool way at Easter was a washout. 2 out of 3 trips cancelled due to wind. We need some fish!

5. Harlo from Darlo

Harlo from Darlo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

All you will need are 4" shads or 5" sidewinders in various colours and some squid which both can be purchased from Whitby Angling Supplies (200 yards turning left out of the car park) and fresh mackerel if you can get them and your all sorted.Plenty of 10oz leads for shading and 1lb leads for the squid/mackerel.Mount the shads on 40lb amneasia or similar and the bait on 6/0 7/0 hooks and 100lb trace minimum as a 20lb ling or bigger is due and most of all good luck.Who are you booked on with?

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Small tides next week, plenty of bait would be in my bag. Id take at least 4 boxes of squid, but I always do massive baits.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9335.0

[​IMG]

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9335.0

7. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah big baits last few days have been ling on slack water all taking bait ..... good luck for thr festival its been hard work up to know but as bob says smaller tides are on there way snd I think sfter 5 dayd out of seven on the water and harlo .......how many fish u walk eith today?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

8. Harlo from Darlo

Harlo from Darlo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nowt mate as I was practising catch and release only :wink:
    Had 1 cod (sort of) as I lost a rig on the bottom and another angler caught it and gave me the rig back plus the fish (thank you),
    Smaller tides and no swell predicted for next week so the fishing should pick up considerably

9. E.F.C. FOREVER

Yeah without doubt pal,
    Sorry I missed ya this morning doen there I was inworld of my oen and I didn't realise u were foshing today other wise I woulf of come yo pub after yo claim my bet ....but seen as how I didnt realise u were fishing I will let this one slide .....:))

10. E.F.C. FOREVER

And honest spelling due to new phone. ......

11. brad

brad Blenny

I just came across this report from a different fishing forum. Not sure when they were caught although the report was only a couple of days ago

Boat anglers report few mackerel showing but some quality cod have started to make an appearance. Biggest so far this season was a monster of 27lb taken by Peter Clark on the Macer D out of the Tyne. At Hartlepool, the Phantom 1 got among the cod with the best making 18lb 4oz taken by Paul Hampton. Anglers aboard the Lone Star took 21 cod including four doubles to 14lb. Brian Dobson took a cod of 14lb just off Hendon on a shad lure, and Dean Reading had one of 11¼lb aboard the Jester. All boats fishing the inshore rough ground have reported good numbers of cod around the 2lb to 5lb mark plus ever-increasing numbers of pollack.

Report submitted by: Steve Walker
    Publish Date: Tuesday 25th June 2013

12. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cant give you more than youve got already but remember you from last year have a good un
    for you both
    lovely people
    just tried the gare tonite for an hour no mackie

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Im usually dubious about reports from Hartlepool. They are a strange bunch. You never see a photo of the catch and if you ask where the fish are weighed its usually in someones kitchen at 2am with noone watching.

14. kayos

kayos Guest

Yeah tides and forecast looks good - hope it stays that way! Big baits it is, thanks lads.

Out on Trot-On11, Charisma, Mistress and Avante.

Re Hartlepool, report of Paul's trip on Nesa.....and the fish pics are taken on the boat!