1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod With Pink Filletts?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Acko, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Acko

Acko Rockling

Hey Up Lads I fillet some Cod Today and 1 of the fish has Pink/Orange filletts
    Looks more Like Salmon than Cod
    Ive never seen this before Has anyone else?
    Cheers Acko
    It was a Tangle Cod Red skin n fins maybe thats why? But Ive caught Tangles before n meats been White?

2. sideswipe

sideswipe Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

its blood. when you have knocked the fish out it has bleeding threw a vain into it self that is what it is.i have seen it loads off times .when i use to work on netters and trawlers. fish is find to eat.I NO LONGER WORK AT SEA

3. Acko

Acko Rockling

Cheers m8
    Ive seen lots of Cod Fish First time I seen that tho
    Nice 1
    Paul

4. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

I'm a bit dubious about the colouring being blood - but I certainly won't contradict Sideswipe if he knows for sure.
    If it is blood then it will wash out - if the flesh is pigmented (like trout and salmon) then it won't. Trout and salmon only turn pink if they eat certain foods that contain carotene pigments, (mainly astaxanthin) and this pigment is also put into fish feed to turn the flesh pink. Maybe your cod had a preference for feeding on shrimps and prawns which also contain the pigment?

5. wilky

wilky Blenny

Ive had red fillets before and a while ago started bleeding (or gutting almost immediately)fish after I'd knocked them on the head. Not had a red one since.

6. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Think Sideswipe is correct that's why you will often see fish been bled to prevent this happening.It's not a bad habit to get into along with removing the guts,washing then stacking your fish properly and covering them with a wet sack or towel to keep them in decent condition more so in this weather.

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Agreed 100%, we also used to get coloured flesh, especially in summer, if the fish were left for any length of time in fish boxes without gutting them.
    We bleed the fish nowadays if they are for eating as soon as they come aboard and store them in a igloo box with a couple of cooler packs. The difference in colour and texture of the flesh is remarkable.

8. rich123

rich123 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

u never washed it in beck did u

9. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

PMSL never thought of that Rich nice one lol.