1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod still showing – way up north! (With pics)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by TangleJock, Feb 15, 2011.

1. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This is a quick but somewhat belated report. Work kept me away from the laptop for a few days and I didn’t have time to sort out the photos till now.

Anyway, went up to Auchmithie for a few hours on Thursday evening. Arrived just before sundown and had a couple of hours before high tide. Sea was relatively flat but still with colour. Couldn’t fish my new favourite mark as, even though it was a small tide, the preferred spot was already inundated. So I hopped over to the rocks at the base of the cliffs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had been a gloriously sunny day, which gave over to a clear, star-studded, night sky. It was a pleasant evening - just as well, because until high water I had barely a touch. Waiting for that big pull, I sat and drank coffee and was treated to a impressive meteor shower. One meteorite must have been a good size it traversed south-west to north-east with a long luminous glow before breaking up into four pieces two of which burnt up quickly leaving the others to travel further and gradually fizzle out.

My new Shakespear Salt tripod – thanks for the advice guys a great bit of kit:
    [​IMG]

After the light show, I was beginning to get a bit bored, I thought of packing up but one of the rod tips started to quiver. That was definitely a fish but it was clearly just toying with the mussel and squid bait. I had a few more rattles over several casts but no hook ups. This was just like some of my recent fishing trips to this venue lots of nudges and tugs but no big pull.

Fishing two rods at different distances - it’s hard work!
    [​IMG]

I was losing confidence fast. A couple of weeks earlier, I had finished the crab and cart baits that the Whitby lads had left for me, so I couldn’t change to that. However, I had been able to get my hands on a number of frozen velvet swimming crabs. Now these were not peelers and I did not feel confident about using them. However, I was catching nothing – so I had nothing to loose. The crabs were large (5 or six inches across the carapace) so I crushed the shell lightly with my priest cut the crab into four sections, picked out most of the shell and wrapped each crab quarter in squid flesh, and then bound with bait elastic. I then carefully threaded them onto the hook, a bit more bait elastic, and then sent the baits out to a gully between the rocks (I was fishing two rods at different distances).

Man – what a difference! The first bait had barely settled on the seabed when the tip lurched over – I pulled back – fish on! After a few minutes I had a codling of about two pounds on the shingle. This was photographed, unhooked and returned, I was baiting up when my second rod started to nod. I dropped everything pulled into the rod and again had a fish on. However, this one didn’t make its way back onto the shingle and dropped off among the rough ground. Both rods were baited up and sent back out. Again, after a fairly short wait, another pull more of a tussel and another fish on the beach. By this time my second rod fishing slightly further out was also lurching over. This time it was a much better fish, which seemed determined to get its head down among the rocks and weed. However, I persisted and eventually had a nice fish that pulled the scales at exactly 4lbs. Following this, I decided to use one rod only. I had two more fish on the beach including a fish of 3lbs, also had a couple on and lost. It then went quiet about two hours after high tide.

A little cod on the beach:
    [​IMG]

Another just before return:
    [​IMG]

It turned out to be an awesome night – no big monsters like that posted by GizzaCod but good action for a couple of hours. All the fish were returned except for the 4lber.
    The thing that amazed me most was how hard the fish were hitting the velvet crab wrapped in squid. The baits and hook were often well down and took a bit of retrieving. There was nothing else in the cocktail, and these were not peelers. Just goes to show, sometimes you just have to throw out the rule book!

A 4lber for the pot:
    [​IMG]

So if you chaps down in Whitby, or the Cleveland area, want some cod – go north young man! Go way north!!

How's this season been for me? Great- thanks to the tips and help from the forum members, especially Big Cliff, GJW, Harrythecod and others.

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

What a brilliant report, thank you for sharing, damn good photos too, really good to see someone catching, really well done on the 4 lber, how big have they been known to have been caught up your way? :happy:

Ken

3. TangleJock

Hi Ken, Thanks for your kind comments. Off the same stretch, I had a 7.5lb cod just a few weeks ago. However, the lads from Whitby have had some very good fish from here (see summer cod post by GJW). Also, recently a fish of 16lbs was reported from Auchmithie - and from Arbroath fish of 11-12lb are caught every season.

If you are ever in the area you should give it a try.

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Great report and pics. Just goes to show how it can all change for the better just by changing your bait well done.

5. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Absolute cracking report mate,pleasure to read.Well done on a great nights fishing,what a difference a change of bait makes

6. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Cracking report bud................

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done Dave , that has wet my appetite for june , and maybe again in july,
    you have come on leaps and bounds ,

you will have to see if you can get some edibles and make up a bit of cart , :wink:
    glad to see your still catching, its a bit dire down our neck of the woods at the moment ,with just odd fish showing .

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Another great report and well done on your improvisation, just goes to show.
    I always expect to see pictures of "kelpies" from that area but those fish are lovely and fresh.

9. primo man

primo man New Member

great report well done on the codling.

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What a great report Dave , really pleased for you , as Harry said its like the dead sea down here total crap , I would have loved to have
    got back up to the cod mecca , but with one thing and another I have found it impossible , you will have to get those crab traps sorted
    out , roll on july :yes: :yes:

11. TangleJock

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I have to say this has made me determined to gather a lot of crab this spring. You can be sure, I'll be right out there with those traps Alan. :yes: