1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod recovery/stocks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by michael76, Jun 20, 2011.

1. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

So what do you guys think about the recent signs that the cod are making a comeback,what do you think it is down too? quotas,sucessful spawning and breeding? luck? good conditions? long may it continue whatever the reason.i was reading an article the other day saying irish anglers in the celtic sea are enjoying the best cod fishing in 25 years.trawlers reporting bumper hauls etc..i think it said one ore two had to dump x amount of tonnes due to fear of going over quota.i will try and find the link.im sure it was on the go fishing site,anyone else seen it? regards michael.

2. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Good question Michael. I feel the near perfect spawning coditions of recent winters has had a remarkable effect on the stocks in the north sea, there is also evidence suggesting other species including mackerell,launce and herring are making a good recovery. Long may it continue.

3. woody

woody New Member

but as has been said before forign trawlers have been visiting its a shame really mans greed will take again , i hope it doesnt

4. dad

dad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Oooops , Dont cout your chickens. Just read a news report on the BBC web page. (Shocking decline seen in oceans), Best enjoy the cod fishing while it lasts. Were all DOOMED!!!.

5. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

6. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It's about time ,just goes to make up for the last 10 years of bad seasons,the last five years have been soul destroying,let's all hope it continues.