1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Tags:
  1. redmanwalking

redmanwalking Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As 2009 nears its close and the clocks they fall back plunging us in to darkness, it must mean that its time for our annual Quest for Cod to begin! Plans for our first trip are already a foot with Redmanwalking, Mr Humbugman and hopefully Ian.H entering the race and hoping for more luck during the 2009/10 Cod season. Mr Humbugman no doubt, you’ll be hoping to score after ending last season with nowt but a duck!

So I look forward now to keeping you all up to date with my not so lyrical reports on progress as we order our bait.

Cheers Redmanwalking :canadian:

2. Acko

Acko Rockling

I started My Quest earlier than usual this year As I did ok early last yr I got more fish in November than in Dec Jan Feb put together
    Ive been out 3 or 4 times this month But have yet to catch a Codling. I am surprised at the Lack of Whiting Too I usually see plenty in October havent had One this year so far
    I hope we get a few decent seas in November and some Fish Turn Up??

3. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was wondering if the quest was going to be back on,
    excellent

4. redmanwalking

I understand the shrimp moved in the Humber in numbers during the 1st week of October and I was hoping to see reports on Coding or whiting from some of the Humber marks, but I have also heard that the rain mid week and today will not help, reports of one shrimp boat only taking ~80 Kg for a day and half work not good! Will hit the coast me thinks and leave the Humber alone for now.

I hear that the bait shops are getting booked up already for bait orders, so you would think we would be getting a few more reports.

5. Ian.H

Ian.H Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like it's time for me to delve under the stairs, put the power kites away and get the fishing gear out then, now the clocks are changing :laugh: :laugh:..........

6. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

GREAT STUFF...................... :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Redmanwalking's quest for cod , Great read last year ( Almost didn't want him to catch a cod) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Can't wait for the next installment.
    Good Luck Redmanwalking on your Quest for Cod III

7. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

There's been a few Cod out the last week or so mate, but yeah the recent rain is gonna do it no good.

Good luck on this year's quest mate, enjoyed reading your reports last year :yes:

8. redmanwalking

The clock she is a ticking with each passing second, momentum its gathering pace as we ready oursleves to entre the race? The steady trickle of information posted here within forum reports is raising our hopes and yet settling to our nerves, will Quest for a Cod III be a short one more of a dash or will be end up with another treat of an epic!

Are you up for the challenge, let me hear your reply for to join Redmanwalking, Mr Humbugman and Ian.H as we cast our lines to the distance with little resistance in our search for a fish.

With less than 34 hours to go I’d better be prepared tackle dusted and rigs all packed neat, not forgetting to sharpen my pencil for to scribe my report like a musical score.

Not :no: one to jibber :canadian: :crazy:as a wiat for my rod tip to quiver :embarrass:

9. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Took a good friend of mine out for a mid week shore fishing session earlier this week. He is a total newbie to it and I am no expert at all. I have not fished the shore line for at least a year! :cry: blow me when i was fishing two rods to his one he managed to winkle a 2.5lb ish cod off whitby west whilst I blanked! Is there no justice in the world? Heres to hoping he does not do the same tomorrow as we are out boat fishing from whitby! If he out fishes me tomorrow get ready for a whitby gazette headline of "body found floating in harbour" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ha ha ha To be fair it will make my year if he out does me as it will another person hooked to the quest for fish!

10. redmanwalking

It’s Friday 30th October 2009 and now is the time for our quest to begin.

As with previous years the anticipation and dare I say excitement on the eve of our first trip got the better of us, for me a night cap of three pints of Guinness may have sent me of to slumber land with great ease as I hit the sack, but the deep sleep past so quickly and delivered me to a state of semi consciousness at a round four in the morning, a laid there for about an hour with eyes open then decided it would be best to get up and get thing moving. 06:30 Text time, send test to Mr Humbugman and Ian.H enquiring if they are both up, received a reply from Mr Humbugman stating “ I haven’t slept all night”. I would later find out that Ian.H also had a disturbed night – GROWN MEN MORE LIKE KIDS AT CHRISTMAS!

On our way for first light, with little traffic on the road we arrived at our chosen venue without giving to much away it had a smell all of its know, you know what I mean the type of smell that make you feel ever so pleased you had limited your drinking and not nursing a hang-over. With little access it was a good walk to the first cut out steps, surprisingly we would be the first on the beach approximately 20 minutes before low tide which helped us station ourselves across two good sized holes.

My first line was in just as the tide turned to flood, I set about setting up my second rod which would be my short line, just as I cast this second rod in I noticed the line on my first rod had gone slack, reeled fast to tighten down and I couldn’t believe my luck I had my first fish on, could the quest be over in a record time of less than 10 minutes? As it turned out the fish was a small school bass, the quest continues.

With both rods back in the water another 10 minutes would pass before my next bite this time it was on my short range rod, I was struggling to reel this one in and attracted the attention of humbug and H who both came over to see what was putting up such a fight, splash in the surf was accompanied by a comment from H disappointed at the sight of another schooley, this is good lets hope it continues.

Next to catch was Mr Humbugman who came up with a plump looking bass just short of the measure, this one soon followed by his second and the my third. We had a frantic two hours with the tide on the up, taking eight bass and two slugs. Ian.H also had a similar sized Bass just short of the measure and a slug. The next two hours would prove to be less productive but when we did get a bite we would be rewarded with another Bass. We ended our session just after the height of the tide with myself managing to take another two Bass and Mr Humbugman taking an unusual looking flat fish with small eyes and humpy back possibly a Dover Sole.

We may have not seen a Cod or a Whiting but this must be our best ever outing with 17 fish between us in the space of 7.5 hours.

Split totals follows:

Redmanwalking 8 fish all Bass
    Mr Humbugman 7 fish, four Bass, two slugs and a Dover Sole.
    Ian.H 2 fish, one Bass, one Slug also one crab and recovered his rods from the seas I’ll let Ian expand on this story.
    Quest for a Cod III continues for another day…….

11. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Another great read redmanwalking......... :yes: :yes:
    Well done on the bass, Sounds like you had a good session. Good luck with your continued Quest for cod

12. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

:whatever:

13. Ian.H

Ian.H Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The story continues.....................................

If you are wondering what this is all about, I was fishing about 150/200yrd's away from Redman. & humbug. so went for a walk to see how they where doing. After about 10min's set off walking back to my rods to find I only had one. A sh*t the other has gone for a swim in the murky water,,,.........aaaaaahhhhhhh :cry: what the kooof am I going to do now (Brain cells were working overtime on this one).....

Ha! :yes: get the other rod in quick and go dredging for the other one, so took the rig off I had on for one with 2 hooks and a lead with out breakaway on, cast out across the line where the rod was and get them all on the bottom. Started to reel in with nose of the rod on the sand, not fast as I wanted everything to stay on the seabed.

A lot was going through my mined as I was reeling in, how I was going to say to the other 2, I lost my rod to a gigantic fish it just ripped it out of my hands :whistle: (or words to that effect). But the line started to get harder to reel in and as it was emerging from the surf I could see the other line and my rod been dragged up the beach :cool:. So the moral of the story is if you use sand spikes make sure they are pushed is along way, or have a big stone behind them.

Note to myself no to do it like that again :yes:

14. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fantastic session and a great start keep it up lads.

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Very good session lads ,and plenty of fish ,seems like the bass are still taking the bait :yes:

16. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

glad your back, its been a while since we had some reports of the quest for cod..cant wait for the next instalment
    good luck
    Paul

17. redmanwalking

After one of those busy weeks of work it was time for us to take some leisure time, and what better way of taking your mind off work than resuming our Quest for Cod. With the changeable weather and prospects of a strong southerly wind and driving rain we had to re-think our planned venue, the Humber banks would have to wait for another day as we headed back to the Holderness coast. Our revised venue would see us move just a little further south of poo poo farm on the Holmpton road with a WWII pillar box the only clue I’ll give to you the reader on this occasion.

Our party of familiars Ian.H, Mr Humbugman, Redmanwalking and new boy Redman junior who was making his first appearance, heavily laden with backpacks on our backs, rods and rests carried over our shoulders we trooped in true military fashion in single file, following the slip sliding muddy footpath, crossed the wooden bridge before reaching the tilted bunker and the stepping stones which offered an easy point of access down on to the beach.

With only 10 minutes before low tide we quickly surveyed wave formations in the hope of identifying low water holes and potential fishing holding features which would soon become unsighted when the tide starts on its flood. We spread ourselves out, Ian.H taking headed to the northern end of our chosen feature, Mr Humbugman assumed the centre position leaving Redman senior and junior covering the southern most point. Both Ian.H and Mr Humbugman both have the luxury of two rods a piece, whereas the Redmans made to with only one rod each on a shared tripod rest.

Lug would once again be our main bait with options of tipping with squid or a shimmering slice of mackerel, as the tide started to turn the first bites resulted in Bass of Mr Humbugman and Redman junior. Junior was off to a flyer with three Bass taken within the first hour. Mr Humbugman was seen to surge forward towards his rod whilst proclaiming “what a slack liner” reeling down he connected with the fish with a impressive bow in his rod and braid heading off southwards this was clearly something magic, a fish of a lifetime able to give an impressive fight, as the fish entered the breaking waves it gave an almighty tug and with a shake of the head it was gone, leaving a devastated Mr Humbugman thinking of if only.

The tide she continued to make pushing us backwards, but the fish kept coming as the Bass made way for Rockling and Whiting. With Ian.H only having only Rocking to his name he decided to move placing himself in the space between Humbug and the Redmans, a move which would pay some dividends. The competition for the angler with most fish was picking up pace between Humbug and Junior, whilst both Ian.H and Senior just looked on in shear disbelieve, how can you be fishing so close to other anglers who are catching and yet struggle to get a bite let alone a fish!

The bites all but dried up as the top of tide was reached and our lug was starting to be a little scarce with only small or blown ones to choose from. A final flurry of bites and three more Rocking would come to our hooks as the sea made its retreat, with a tally of 34 fish between us we could not complain on the level of entertainment.

General info:

Weed not a problem what so ever, crabs stripped some of our baits as the tide first turned to flood but overall wasn’t a problem.

Here is our tally:

Type RM Junior Humbug Ian.H RM Senior
    Bass 3 1 0 2
    Rockling 3 3 5 2
    Whiting 6 7 2 0

Someone needs some WD40 on his reel :butt:!

18. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

as eloquent as ever.....a rivoting read...
    thanks
    Paul

19. Mr Humbugman

Mr Humbugman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Belly full - sea bass, peppers, mushrooms and a few beers:canadian:There might not be cod, and the majority of fish may be on the small side but it beats what we had during the1st quarter of this year.
    It was around 15yrs ago when I used to fish prior to this year and how different it was then. From September we used to see the cod showing around Hessle (spawning?) and then quickly these became evident on the coast - never caught any Bass then! I use to fish for cod up to xmas then call it a day ( should have took more note of that this January gone!).
    Are we going to see any decent cod runs this winter ?- if they are all going to be over by January again,then they better get a bloody move on. ps - theWD40 was in the rucksack for the rod , the reels now been squeeking for about 20yrs

20. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Very enjoyable read fellas :yes: :yes: very pleased you ventured out in pretty poor weather to enjoy a good bit of sport even thought the cod remain elusive to your quest :whistle: looking forward to having a dose of luck similar to yours on my next session but hopfully with a cod or two - at least you caught some nice fish :happy: :happy: