1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

I quite agree Cliff and it's a subject that's been alluded to in 'Masonic Anglers' threads in the off topic forum.

I can appreciate some guys are entering competitions and like to keep a certain amount of their knowledge to themselves but the secrecy can at times be taken too far to the point it borders on arrogance.

It reminds me of an incident many years ago fishing the Bristol Channel, I was alone and having had a wander round some potential marks the day before I'd found what I thought looked to be an ideal secluded location. 10 mins after I set up another bloke appeared, he stormed over and told me he always fished from the spot I'd taken and it was his rock, I politely replied, I couldn't see his name on it !

If someone is in your 'spot' one night it's hardly the end of the world to move along a bit.

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

When you are fishing club matches every week and you have your own little quiet spots (not "MY" spots,but quiet little spots that fish well) ,the last thing you want when planning your trip is to find it mafted out with anglers.Most people on here who complain about "secrecy" don't and never have been keen match anglers and don't and won't put the time in to learn a mark (excluding Big Cliff).Nobody has a god given right to claim a mark his own,but when the info is given out on an open forum,the next time conditions are right for a mark that has been discussed it is blanketed with fish chasers.Now this isn't a problem so much,but when people start casting over you,pulling in your carefully prepared quality bait,with their quality squid and mackeral baits,it starts to p1$$ you off,you are fishing to strict match times and wasted time unravelling lines etc,potentially limits you more due to lost fishing time.Go to a mark in daylight on a big low water tide and look for potential fish holding spots,they are not too hard to find,then when conditions prevail,go give it a go and learn from your experience.A great example of all the above is Glenn who up until this year was a focused match angler who gave very little away,now due to taking time out from club fishing and enjoying his pleasure fishing a lot more,he is giving more away(not a dig glenn by the way just a good example).Match angling breeds competativeness,maybe in certain instances arrogance,but can you honestly slate a man for keeping info back so he may have that slight edge?Most anglers on here(believe it or not including me) have given plenty of good info out behind the scenes and are more than happy to help but if people on here decide not to give out specific info nobody has the right to make snide comments and gripe on about it,if you want to post info do it,but don't abuse other peoples rights to keep quiet.I've given info to a respected member of this forum for the cod fishing down here and was promised a days plugging with him on his turf,guess what,no phonecall.The next time he calls for info,i won't answer,so like Big Cliff said earlier,the ones at the front of the queue for info,are usually the last to return the favour.Before anyone gets on my back,this isn't an irate rant,just my opinion...tight lines to everyone :happy:

3. robq

robq Rockling

Well said Smokey !! I have just started a similar thread under "sharing information"

If i am accused of being a member of the cloak and dagger stuff then so be it :whatever: :whatever:

Rob

4. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

Great point think you covered everything lol lol. Like you said, you see the same faces working hard and putting in so much time in finding marks, and just watching the sea conditions. The amount of time i have walk this coast line with my fishing buddies on those large tides and bumped into other forum members with there trusty cameras and note books. Then you come on the forum people expect you to just tell them where to go, you can see why people get a bit peaed. Yes i have asked Ray and Andy B wheres producing but they will just give me a rough area IE head to RHB but then its down to your note book photos and Knowledge. So in away you can understand what smokey has wrote.
    I have lernt there is so much info on here, look at past weather forcast which you can purchase look when fish was caught look where or what area and start to build up a picture its all here you just got to look around for it.

5. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

I accept your point Smokey (I did say I have no probs with guys having their own secrets) what I'm getting at is the arrogance shown by some when you happen to be fishing a little known mark that they then think they have a god given right to.

On the Bristol channel incident I had taken time the day before to find the mark (no-one told me about it) so as far as I'm concerned I had as much right to fish it as the next man with out his sarcasm.

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Like i said,nobody has a right to any mark,you did the right thing standing your ground.99% of the genuine anglers on here would have a natter with you if you stopped and spoke to them,so i don't think your experience is relevant to the guys posting on here,having a bit of crack with anglers you know is part of the fun.. tight lines

7. robq

robq Rockling

myself and Worm fished a fairly " new to us mark " that we thought we had to ourself after a tricky :scared: rope descent last week in the mick hillerby match !1

We were soon met with some unfriendly and maybe even "arrogant" ooks by a few that had dared an even braver descent than us :scared: :scared:

However after a few words exchanged we were on the same level :yes: sometimes its best not to be intimidated and just rely on good old fashioned social skills :yes: if they still dont want to know then sod em :canadian: :canadian:

8. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

I'd agree with the idea of trying to get on equal terms Rob, but what pi$$ed me off this night is I was alone in a remote location being intimidated by another bloke with his mate not too far away and it was clear he didnt want to know.

His attitude made me all the more determined to stand my ground, If he'd been a bit more tactful from the start I'm pretty sure we could have reached some understanding.

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

or if that doesn't work just put your mark on the mark, rotten bottoms are invaluable in this case . . , just ask Buzz about our Whitby scarrs outing.............. look I needed to go and I had erm..... a rotten bottom :vomit: :cheesy: If anyone finds a tea towel down Whitby Scarrs for Gods sake don't touch it :embarrass:

10. robq

robq Rockling

Unfortunately "tossers" are prevalent in every walk of life mate :sad: :sad:

No way of getting away from it gasmantle :whatever: :whatever:

We have both met in the flesh so we "know" each other :yes:

Unfortunately in the untrustworthy modern world we live live in not all strangers afford other people the same luxury of friendship :whatever: :sad:

Rob

11. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

I'll bear that in mind next time :vomit:

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:laugh:

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sorry Go Go but it was erm true, apparently a mix of two cans or Red Bull and several Peperami 'Hot n Spicy' sausages while awaiting for my 1st bite that caused the anomaly .... :embarrass:

14. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

ken i feel sorry for anybody who went near that tea towel
    cheers ian

15. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

Should have tried a bit as bait, just imagine if you'd caught a 15lber you'd have made a killing selling your own doo doo :vomit: :vomit:

16. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Lmao :laugh: :laugh:

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Even finger bandage wouldn't have held that together G. M. :cheesy: i think this subject has erm 'run its course :yes: '.....sorry back to thread.....

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

here here

19. woody

woody New Member

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I have a similar story to gas mantle .when i first got my caravan up port patrick,garry and i went on a recky to look for marks ,one day i was on my own and had a wander about looking :yes: :yes: i found what was to me a quite good mark :educated: next day i took garry and siad (can you find a way down there) :whistle:well he is twenty tears younger than me :whistle: anyway it turned out to be a hot spot we had seveal brill sessions ,some of the photo's are on the forum, :gum: :gum: I have had two double figure polack and a few more near doubles so has garry and big cliff and other friends who we informed of the mark,one day when i went there there was two anglers fishing the mark as i got to the bottom one of them siad there,s no room here for three , i siad dont worry mate i can manage ok and set my gear up,they tried to make it awkward for me ,by chucking a string of feathers out for maky,so ijoined in :laugh: :laugh:thirty mins later they packed up and went these were not local anglers one was from bishop aukland and one was from glasgow,it goe;s to show that like will find like :whatever: :whatever: if you let them intimidate you they will win ,ps i am not a big bloke but if i feel i have a right i will stand my ground :yes: :yes: :yes: