1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jonnied17-2008

jonnied17-2008 New Member

sounds like good advice to me i dnt fancy ending up in the drink!!! cheers for the link, will have a gander. what footwear do you guys use??? should i invest in some steel toe cap/hiking boot jobbies or im i best off with waders????

2. spechunter

spechunter New Member

Hi there Jonnied! I personally prefer Waders. I'm using Snowbee Granites. These have spiked soles and have good grip on the rock marks and scars around the North Yorkshire coast (and others for that matter!). Although, there are some hiking boots that offer similar grip on the market. Waders are just warmer in the winter, and give you that bit of extra protection, but they are a nightmare in the summer! With regard to fishing low water marks, I've always learnt about the mark in the daylight first, before fishing it at night. This way you can get to know your surroundings with a bit more confidence. If you don't feel confident about the mark don't fish it! No fish is worth your life.

3. SPB

SPB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good advice, try having a walk around at low water with a dying sea if you see calmer stretches of water between the breakers this indicates deeper gullies, sure to be fish holding areas :wink:

4. ferret

ferret Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

jonnied,if your looking for cod marks around the edin.area dont bother.a few get caught from granton breakwater but mostly in summer.you need to travel fife side or south, north berwick and below. if you want local sport try flatties off portobello beach at the frigate burn or go to musselburgh and fish the esk mouth below the weir.

5. grolsch

grolsch New Member

good warm boots

wanting some new boots good for cliff work etc using some cat boots at min but my feet always end up like ice blocks after a long session even with wool socks :scare: any ideas

andy

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

7. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

i agree. just look at them coming out of the woodwork on another thread now they wont be able to just use this site to find the best marks.

i,m sure that if everytime you went to your local marks you couldnt get near them because of people that will readily tell you they came there because of what they read on the internet, you would eventually stop being too specific.

i,m all for helping people and increasing they ejoyment and catch rates but certainly not at the cost of my own enjoyment.

8. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

bump think you said it all

9. Willy Nelson

Willy Nelson I hate fishing with the Slug.

I don't live near the coast and often put on posts to find out areas that are fishing well before I travel over. however I don't want to know specific marks just regions that may be productive i.e. Runswick, Whitby, Holderness etc.

Part of the joy of fishing is the exploring the coast and just trying different areas to see if they are any good.

(Mind you I do blank a lot)

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Lets be honest about this subject, a lot of good experienced anglers learn there favorite marks from putting in hours and hours of dedicated effort to find out how a mark fishes at certain times of the tide ,surely you would not expect to be given a map and giagram of what rigs and bait to use,but people will point you in the right direction,ther are a few marks further south of whitby that i would love to try ,and will eventualy ,but wouldn't dream of asking for a free tour guide from anglers who wave spent many years building up there knowledge of an area ,but i am sure they would tell me where to park and then work things out for myself :wink:put in some homeworkand you will see what i mean :whatever: :yes:

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I dont think the conditions remain right for the fish followers to really take advantage Dabcatcher. Il give you an example of something I observed last year. On the Monday after the Whitby Open Killer had a 16 pounder off the west pier. The lad knows the mark and knew it was time to strike. He fished it at the right time with a handful of others. I was a bit annoyed as I had to work that day but I enjoyed his story non the less. He posted his pic and told his story on here later that evening.

The next night the sea had dropped significantly. I opted for the east pier with about 2 other people. I looked over my shoulder and the west pier was lit up like blackpool in autumn. I knew they had little chance and I was laughing to myself at what Killer had caused whilst I reeled in my 5th codling of the night. Reports came back that hardly anything was caught off the west pier that night. Fish move from tide to tide and rarely are any 2 nights the same. Prediction is king, as once stated by a rather well known member of this forum.

12. thebigman

thebigman New Member

Cockenzie can fish well for bass during the summer months although it gets a bit crowded.

Plenty of marks within an hour or so of your Uni, here's one here - http://www.planetseafishing.com/features/read/winter-cod-haven/

13. jonnied17-2008

jonnied17-2008 New Member

cheers bigman much apreciated, wot tactics for the bass there? is it bait or lure? just to clear the air i was only looking for a guideline to general areas. my apologies if it has started any arguments this was far from my intention, im just new to the area and in need of a bit of advice.

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Dont worry about it mate. Its an ongoing topic of debate really. Theres no harm done and its a very useful topic.

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

as i have said many times before the thicker there book becomes on fishing
    marks the better it is , if alot of people only have a couple of marks things
    can get very congested however if they are well versed it sort of spreads the
    jam more evenly , last night saltburn pier was like blackpool illuminations i went to
    a mark close by had the place to myself and had a good nights fishing and
    thet was over the high water , so the more marks the better

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

the day i stop being specific i will call it a day, lifes to short

17. wildcard

wildcard Guest

I would say it dosent matter if an angler reveals all his secret marks and all his rigs and baits etc. The skill is in watching the changing conditions over a series of days to determine which combination of all of those will work on the day.

Any angler who is willing to divulge information like this is put on a pedestal by his peers for doing so.

wildcard

18. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Just look at the 50 codling challenge thread and where Glenns been fishing.

I can say i've fished a lot of the same marks and dare say probably chucked into the same holes but I havent had half the fish from those marks. Its all about conditions etc etc.

19. smokey

smokey Rockling

Do you shore fish Alan,i mean regularly?

20. robq

robq Rockling

Where did you go Big Cliff ?? :cheesy: