1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jonnied17-2008

jonnied17-2008 New Member

hi,
    im originally from yorkshire :yes: but i am currently studying at uni in edinburgh. ive just started sea fishing really (i used to go with my dad), but have been fishing for 16 years now.
    i just wundered if any1 had any advice on finding reliable cod marks or if anybody knows of any decent places???
    much apreciated

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

welcome to the site mate

3. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

welcome to the site.

i dont think people are just going to give out there banker marks on open forum.

thats how places get mobbed then the person who originally gave the mark up cant get on it anymore.

just look at steetly :no: what a waste.

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

happy to help , theres still far to much cloak and dagger stuff , its got a bit better
    but its still got along way to go , just out of curiosity what was secret about
    steetley pier ? its been getting fished for a hell of along time

5. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

it was never a secret but now you only have get a little movement and someone post on any forum that theres fish there and there can be bus loads on there and as many as 100 rods.

bet you still dont get people posting there banker marks.

you,ll get a few commonly known marks though.

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

IVE POSTED BANKER MARKS ON MANY OCCASIONS

7. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

i know you have and watched you try to get a thread going where we all would add our best marks.

i,m certainly not trying to get into an argument over it though.

i was trying to let this person know that someone making there first post asking for guarateed marks shouldnt expect too much

8. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Jonnied, have a read back through the old posts and I'm sure you'll find plenty of places that take your fancy mate :yes:

There'll be some info about tide state and conditions no doubt, but you've simply gotta put the hours in to find out how any mark really works.

I travel from Leeds to fish, so I know it's difficult to get as many hours in as you'd like to.

My advice is to just pick a few places you like the look of and take note of the conditions they seem to do ok in. Then when the day comes where you can make it out just pick the one that looks like it'll do best given the conditions on the day and try it.

9. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

Seek and Ye shall find. Put the time in and you will get your just rewards. Nothing like finding the marks all on your own merit.

10. jonnied17-2008

thanks guys, much apreciated. :happy: will let you know if i find anywher worth keepin a secret :wink: has any fished cockenzie??? its about an hour on a bus for me i just wundered just for general fish just to get a few under my belt coz ive caught one whiting (a small one at that over 8 weeks! :canadian:

11. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Your doing better than me then mate, Ive blanked every session for the past 3 weeks.........damn those illusive piscine beggars

12. jonnied17-2008

i feel a bit better knowin im not the only one!!! to be fair the local tackle shop have been a great help, but its always dead in there- it seams a lot of tackle shops are empty these days

13. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

better off getting on the train mate need to be between dundee an abroath anywhere from carnoustie up. hope it helps

14. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

There isnt any truely secret marks on our coast although some are less known than others. Also every mark is a banker mark when you hit it at the right time. So far this year Ive had fish from Robin hoods bay, Sandsend Cliffs, Whitby West Pier, Goldsborough, Runswick, Saltwick, Hawsker, Boulby and Bempton. Ive heard of or seen fish from South gare (German Charlies), Redcar scar, Hummersea, Birdfleet Saltburn, Kettleness, Fillet tail, Goat Track, Sandsend Scars, Whitby East pier, Ravenscar, Cloughton, Flamborough, Burniston, Holbeck, Gristhorpe and even 1 or 2 from Cayton bay.

16. jonnied17-2008

cheers guys, and thanks for the links firefly, there much apreciated! i will have a scout for some nice looking places although everywhere looks fishy up this way!!! im new to all this rock fishing business but i fink ive gathered that ive gota catch these marks when there settled at low tide?
    tightlines all

17. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

hi jonnied, one important thing , take care its dangerous out there ,; if you are fishing places u know you can be caught out, let alone fishing blind
    good luck

18. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Just to re-iterate what portlandbill has said Jonnied, it can dangerous especially if fishing low water marks if you don't know the area. Remember, what looks OK on one tide might be a totally different ball game on another tide due to the differing heights of the tides each day and of course the weather.
    That's why it is important to get some local knowledge from wherever you can, if you're checking out spots at low water and see anybody fishing, ask them how they are doing, most blokes are approachable.
    The heights of the tide vary a heck of a lot around the country and on each tide, on the Bristol Channel the tide goes out one heck of a long way, and also comes back in at a rate of knots that can catch you out.
    Where I fish normally on the Suffolk coast you can fish the tide down and back up without having to move an inch, I kid you not.

Safety first - always - it's not clever or brave to take risks, it's stupid, if you're unsure, then don't do it. Too many tragedies happen because folk take risks.
    It's a great sport as you appreciate, fish the 'easy' spots to start and talk with other anglers, you will be surprised what info you can pick up.

You have some great fishing up your way, especially this time of the year, so hope you have many a tight line mate.
    regards

19. steveevo

steveevo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

WELL SAID, SOUND ADVICE, JUST STARTED MYSELF AND WONT TAKE RISKS, THE SEA BLOODY FRIGHTENS ME. EASIER FOR THE TIME BEING FISH THE PIERS OR EASY BEACHES SANDSEND FOR EXAMPLE, BUILD YOUR EXPERIANCE AND KNOWLEDGE IS A MUST FROM THE GUYS ALREADY OUT THER :yes: :yes:

20. bucko

bucko New Member

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-marks-index.php