1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing Cod, Ling and a BIG Pollock

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by craigyb, Sep 21, 2015.

1. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Headed over to the east coast for a few days away and to fish the Scarborough match...

Went out fishing Friday with jules and boards and the fishing was nutse! Loads of micro mops and 1 that maybe nudged 2lb... Paddled back to south bay and had a play on the kayaks, self rescues etc.... I even managed to stand up on the stealth and sit back down without being dunked :D

Saturday morning I was up at 5 so headed to the harbour car park to get the kettle on...

I wasn't full of great expectations for the match after the poor fishing the day before, but every tides a different tide ;)

63 kayak anglers registered and lined up on the beach...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Briefing done everyone paddled out... Some going left, some straight out and some going right.... I went left ;) nice steady paddled to where I wanted to be and dropped anchor... Mark Radcliffe was at one side of me... Hoggy at the other...[br][br]Nice big bait down and the waiting began.... Wasn't much of a wait before a decent bite and a fair scrap from a 65cm ling :)

[​IMG]

Good start.. Bait back down and then up came Mr cod about 3 1/2 lb... Down again and a bit better came up... [br][br]It was definitely my day for catching because mark had a few mops and hoggy had buggered off ;)

[​IMG]

The tide stopped running and I kept getting snagged up so stuck the rod behind me and sat and chilled for an hour chatting away... The tide never seemed to get going again so I packed up and had a steady paddle in...[br][br]Biggest was 4lb 11oz which got me 7th place :D

Sunday up nice and early again but fannied about most of the morning and didn't get launched until after 10:15,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planned to go 3 mile out to some wrecks but was a fair swell so stayed inshore...

I had 5 fish in total... 3 pollock and 2 cod...zippy blanked...Dan had a 2.5lb wrasse...[br][br]Without a doubt my biggest kayak caught fish.... 76cm 9lb7oz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AWESOME!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Awesome fish.
    Caught one about 9lb in current up in Skye and thought it was about 30lb's for first few runs. LOL
    Bet that felt it was going to tip you in, didn't it?!

Conditions haven't been that great this year enough for me to really give them the time, as when right been chasing bass instead. With a lot of blanking there too!

Been a poor year for me all round, if I'm honest. 12th bass last night, biggest 4.8.

Have there been many shore pollock this year from anyone?
    I have only had two, both the size of Brownies!
    The few snippets I have gleaned were that they were late anyway, and then we were hit almost immediately by those colouring northerlies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. craigyb

Almost did, I was sat side saddle with the rod between my legs. No knock or anything, just banged straight over.. It took a while before I could lift the rod out of the watter.. What a scrap it gave, be a long time before I beat it I guess

• Like Like x 1
  4. jAcko8

jAcko8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Top fishing that Craig. Good report and excellent pictures.
    Congratulations on the PB

• Like Like x 1
  5. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Just goes to show that every day is different. Well done on the big pollack thats a cracking fish by anyones standards. They are surely the best fighting fish on our coastline.

Thanks for posting such an elaborate report with great images. Its really nice to read something when you know the author has put a lot of effort into it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. craigyb

Cheers Glenn, just wish I wasn't so lazy and took a few more pics while out on the water, could write a few more decent reports then

• Like Like x 1
  7. Glenn Kilpatrick

@craigyb what camera are you using ??

8. craigyb

Fujifilm finepix xp70

9. Glenn Kilpatrick

Cant beat a fuji :)

10. craigyb

No, it takes some cracking pictures, just annoying when get water on the lens because I never have anything dry to clear it so end up with blurs

11. Glenn Kilpatrick

T shirt will do. I doubt youll do it much harm