1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod From Flamborough Cliffs

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Steve, Oct 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Steve

Steve Rockling

went for a session on breil last night. conditions weren't brill with not a lot of tide and little swell. bite were few and far between though mate did manage this 5lb red cod.

[​IMG]

down side of the night was the fact that it must be a tackle grave yard down there every cast i pull into something, even pulled up a big lump of line with two traces on. think it needs a bloody good rough up to clear all the kelp and tackle down there

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Re: flamborough

That is a nice red cod Steve, all this talk of cliff fishing has really got me tempted to have another go, its been so long, does armchair still fish? I used to go there regularly and was thinking about it last night, it must be near on 20 years since i fished it. I don't feel happy fishing Bempton tops but Flamborough certainly appeals.

Ken

3. Steve

Steve Rockling

"armchair" ken. remind me. only armchair hole i know is in my front room

4. robq

robq Rockling

under bungalows Steve :yes:

You need a good bit of sea and colour and preferably dark on there Ken :happy:

5. Steve

Steve Rockling

always called that spot bungalows rob. just shows after 25years your still learning. do you know where hammer rock is then

6. robq

robq Rockling

Bungalows is straight off the front facing across the thornwick bay as far as I remember and armchair is the little ledge about 15 yards around the corner that faces more towards thornwick corner :yes:

Its strange how fishing spots have all got their little names that are not well known outside small groups of local anglers !!

Even now I still hear of spots that I have never heard of, within marks I thought i knew well :crazy:

7. glassback

glassback Blenny

it was always called armchair years ago but more recently called bungalows
    more apt realy as theres a bungalow right above it .
    further right is what we would no as thornwick corner ,then round to tennis crts ,
    hammers is just right of northlanding corner .
    filey lads have there own names for most of the marks .
    a lot of the marks were called after the anglers that used to fish them years ago .
    i thought you would of none armchair though steve

8. Steve

Steve Rockling

Always been bungalows to me Andy. Know the mark though. But like a lot of places they get overlooked. I was once told there were 17 marks between north landing and breil but how many people know were they are and how many have been lost in recent years

9. glassback

glassback Blenny

theres loads of marks and names as you say some lost now
    fraggle rock ,or saddles is now quite dodgy to get on
    and excell at langness side is getting quite dodgy aswell with all the top washing away

10. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

did you pass the pub (caravel) at about 8 to ten past,if you did i was in the armchair and watched you walk on the cliffs, nice cod

11. Steve

Steve Rockling

about 8;45. david

12. Steve

Steve Rockling

fraggle rock. had some good catches off there. dont fancy trying to get on it now. not with the slip off the side, and the front has been gonna drop off for years

13. robq

robq Rockling

Dave an I scrambled onto fraggle last winter when we turned up early to find breil occupied :sad:

never again !! I have never felt so unsafe and exposed in my life shinning accross a 12in wide path with a 100ft drop on each side :evil: :evil:

14. glassback

glassback Blenny

yea its just not worth the effort to get on there now .
    shame as it was a real good spot .
    but its getting bad in a few spots now

15. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thats about right i was just seting off up to the Viking for a few more,leave car and get free bus back to camp at 12

16. robq

robq Rockling

are u coming back to the cod fishing any time Andy ? was talking to your nephew last night up on bemmo, he seems interested in gettting into the sport :yes: :yes:

17. Bcawth

Bcawth Blenny

Went up to flamborough again tonight wanted to fish thornwick side but as I drove down the track towards the cafe there was a chain barrier across the road :( is this always there? Seems strange to block it of.

18. robq

robq Rockling

It was blocked off all last winter too

Probably to stop scumbags and vandals getting at the cafe :whatever:

19. glassback

glassback Blenny

i dont realy no rob i miss fishing the matches but i did it because of my back
    after a long match i would strugle for a week with it .
    since ive just been plugging all time it has been better less gear to hump around.
    but i would love to do it still .

20. glassback

glassback Blenny

yea cafe owner puts it up every winter now after some lads were racing cars around then setting them a fire .
    always some one to spoil it