1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod Fishing Tips

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Nov 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Read the awesome Article on uptiding

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12813.0

and try not to forget it like I did :embarrass:

2. simon22

simon22 Rockling

May have been said but. People die while taking part in our sport, never take chances on marks that you dont know like the back of your hand! especally on the east cost as a lot of fishing is done in very remote places. no fish is worth your life

3. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

On the topic of safety I always take these things with me.

A friend (also your friend should carry the same things as you)
    Mobile phone - fully charged and in a watertight plastic bag.
    A safety throwing line in a throwing bag when rock fishing.
    I always wear boots with studs to grip slippery rocks - I learned that one almost the hard way a few years ago when I went for a slide down the ramp at Sandsend car park and almost off the end into the sea.
    2 head torches (1 spare) fully charged with spare batteries.
    Floatation suit.
    Emergency whistle - most floatation suits have these on a string in a pocket, also some head torches have them built in as well.
    Spare dry clothes in your car.
    FIrst aid kit with a few basic things like plasters for cuts etc...

I reckon anyone who does not take these basic safety things needs to have a serious think about what they are doing - remember that other people might have to put their own lives at risk to save you.
    Oh yes, almost forgot - tell someone where you are going and what time to expect you back.

BP.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Any more ?

5. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

Always have,confidence in you're ability its so easy to get downhearted,keep things simple ie rigs one hook pulley rig does it for me,bait as said before so important to have the best available, ilearned the hard way with this,cast with confidence,always be willing to try something new and different,don't get stuck in a rut.and most important keep the missus happy :surprise: stay safe,no numptys common sense is key,oh yeah and always always enjoy yourselves.

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Always keep your wide angle lens on , keep a diary noting where , when , time , stage and size of tide try and develop a thick book , try and develop a GOOD casting style , and remember that the fish might be right under your feet so dont get sucked into no matter where im fishing my bait has to be out on the horizon it can be very counter productive , fish might be in the gulleys BUT then again they might be out on the open ground / white water
    when its dark a couple of foot of water is all cod want at times

7. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

When conditions /venue suits, fish two rods.

one at range, one closer in. vary baits use one with conventional baits (lug/ crab/ mussel/cart)

use other rod for experimenting with less used baits like, oyster meat, octapus, cuttlefish, talpin etc etc.

ive had varied success over the last two years with oyster meat, after reading topic on same bait ,as used

up on bempton by jellyworm? a couple of years ago, a very good topic, using a bullet weight to send

a 2nd/3rd trace snood down the line, maybe some one has tried it from s/e cliffs?

the oyster meat was not in a cocktail (when used) so it proves cod do take it .

sourced it from a chineese wholesaler, so ask your local take away & see if they can get some for you.

tried it first out in the boat, with success, then over both sand & rock from beach.

8. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Got a few tips that worked for me from a "young lad" in Whitby fishing shop.

(paraphrased not quoted)

- If you are not loosing tackle then you are probably fishing all the wrong places.
    - Set up your rigs to loose the 'bits' not the fish. Make your losses cheap. This isn't "SRT Spring" country in a NW Winter Gale.
    - Don't avoid the 'rough' (Kelp/rock) - the Crabs and other food don't - that's where they find shelter. Neither, if they want to eat, do the Cod.
    - You are slinging, with no idea what's out there, into the horizon. Coddies could be five feet away running the 'scaur' that you are perched on.
    - Right conditions/mark/bait will beat every "equipment" combination every time.

9. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

These are ones I should be doing, definitely a case of do as I say not as I do.

- Go Fishing! The only place you will catch cod is in the sea, not sat in the pub, surfing the catch reports, buying tackle on line etc etc I
    It's no coincidence that people who catch more go fishing more (unlike me), which leads too....

- Don't rule out the short 1-2hr fishing opportunity, it only takes a few mins to actually hook a fish. It's easy to think that unless you can a 4hour session it's not worth going. Prehaps easier for bass etc with a rod and a box of lures in the car boot, but........

- Keep your kit organised so you can go a short notice (might be conditions are right, a phone call to say 'I caught 100 ;-) fish from xxx', or you get a pass from the wife/kids etc). Also being organised means more fishing time, less sorting kit time. Also.......

- Keep a stock of baits in the freezer, fresh might be better but harder to plan for if your fishing is not a regular thing, and anyway at many times cart takes some beating!

- Finally make sure your enjoying it, life's too short to make it stressful!

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

10. Gray

Gray Whitby Fishing Forum

Use your drag. Lots of anglers just tighten the drag up and never touch it. It's there for a reason, to give the fish the ability to run if it wants to. I always loosen the drag off when I get the fish close to the shore incase it makes a lunge and the hook pulls.