1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod Fishing Tips

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Nov 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I would like to do a page on the main site with cod fishing tips. We already have a bass fishing 101 here, and I would like to do the same for cod fishing. So lets have your tips. The more the better.

2. Do it from a boat !! :yes: :yes:

Having read some of the posts on the forum, going shore Cod fishing with some of the guys on this site would be too scary

:scare: :scare:

3. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Good idea. There is a lot of good information in the posts but it is spread out and not easy to find.

With my track record on Cod though - I'll leave the tips to others :embarrass:

The best I could come up with if you want a lot of Cod is mugging Lobbers as he leaves WW. :wink:

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

source the best quality bait you can
    use simple, strong rigs
    dont mask your hookpoint
    learn your marks - fish a mark in all states of tide and conditions and work out when it fishes best.
    watch the good anglers and learn from them

5. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Don't give in or lose heart when your not catching because it will come right eventually.
    Don't confuse yourself with loads of different marks pick 2 or 3 and learn them well.

6. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

8. Baramundi Bob

keep them coming

9. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

go to your chosen venue in daylight at low tide and find features, relate them to rocks above the tide line so you can fish them later.

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Silver Fox has made some very good points :yes: ----- Always double pat , if your bait isnt in the water you cant catch a fish , if you reel in start stripping off your bait , rebaiting it all takes time , dont top your old bait up , clean off the hook and start with a fresh bait , dont leave it anymore than 20 mins MAX , if theres crabs about make that 10 , Do your homework , make sure your bait is the best quality , It will do --- Wont do , try thinking
    outside of the box , dont be a train on a track , theres a hell of alot of anglers are stuck on that one , get the wide angle lens on , dont get sucked into always looking for that deeper water and the fish are always a long way out , I have caught alot of cod in a couple of foot of water on the open
    ground , the stage and size of the tide can be critical in what you are going to catch , it really is very very important , what im going to say now is not
    set in stone in some venues this might not be the case -- BUT -- In many of the places I have fished the Slack tides have fished better on the Flood
    on Bigger Tides the better fishing comes from around the HW and well into the Ebb thats my take on it

11. lankypaul

lankypaul Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This is a great idea I will take onboard all the advise I can get to get my first shore cod

12. philkingcod

philkingcod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Like what big cliff has already said think outside the box if other anglers are arround you and nothings coming out do somthing totaly different closer in further out different bait different directions dont chuck in the same place every cast i fish the beaches more than rocks and my tackle is an 18inch snood on a pully rig 4/0 kammasn hooks fresh yellow tail or black tipped with whites if i can get them if not always strait worm 30lb braid 80lb braid leader and belt it and ive learnt were theres one theres more,so dont hang about dont change a thing your doing strait back in :cheesy:

13. GJW

GJW Rockling

A fish is only looking for grub, so look at wind and swell direction (food traps) Certain spots fish better when the wind blows and swell runs from a certain direction, because food is pushed into them. Take time to walk the coastline at low water and note down any features, its not always the big holes, gulleys that fish best all the time, mark down slight depressions in the scar, area's where the water hangs, familiarise yourself with the surroundings, in the past we have put a mark in a rock with a hammer and chisels so we know exactly we are in the right spot after dark and how far to cast to reach the depression..

Like others have said to get the best from fishing you should spend time seeking good quality bait for the place your fishing, if fresh crab is the killer bait early season on the Yorkshire rock marks then that's what you really want as your first line of attack, other baits will and do catch fish and may have there moments especially as the winter progresses as less crabs will be moulting. On the beaches it will be different, Lug maybe the bait needed or tipping off with white rag may give you that extra edge over others, over mussel beds and broken ground Ragworm may come into its own a often over looked bait these days but still a great bait in the right area's..

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well said Gary , I liked the last bit about ragworm for me it is overlooked , at times it can be a superb bait , just present it in the right places , I dont have great
    faith in the cultivated stuff [ if its still on the go ] , I have had some really good bags of cod on it

15. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

[quote author=Growler Rich li
    nk=topic=28710.msg236560#msg236560 date=1352223755]
    go to your chosen venue in daylight at low tide and find features, relate them to rocks above the tide line so you can fish them later.
    [/quote]

Take photos of them on massive low tides do you can see all the gutters ect.

Mick

16. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If i had just started cod fishing , the forum would be a source of excellent

advice/tips for all aspects stated previous.

Another one i would do to help fast track your own ideas towards venues,

states of tides, conditions etc, would be to take note of what night, time

the local clubs fish, ie: whitby, marys, navy club & saltburn etc.

Watch out for the results, conditions etc, even have a look out

& you can see where most venues are popular, some will be a

bit more secretive, but through time you can build up your own

experience at these marks etc.

They reccon that joining a club will also enhance your knowledge

friendly advice, dont be scared to ask, dont be intimidated by negative

replies, there are more people who will help you overall

as you become a better angler.

17. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/cod-fishing-tips-101-hints-tips-facts

18. Baramundi Bob

Come on guys, need another 61

19. bow1

bow1 Rockling

invest in good quality,warm and waterproof clothing.We get out in all conditions and nothing so miserable and demotivating than being cold and/or wet,especially when its slow.At least if comfortable you can just enjoy being out in all mother nature throws at us.

Stay safe,dont take unacceptable(to you) risks,and take all necassray precautions.

20. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

safety tip when cod fishing in the dark is take 2 lights, 1 a spare ( i didnt down port :cry: ), know the conditions your chosen mark fishes best in, i was once taken to a mark when the sea was massive and i said noway can we fish in that never mind expect to catch anything, that night i had 5 cod to 7lb so from now on when the sea is huge i always head there, same as when theres only abit of sea running i have certain marks i prefer.