1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod challlenge

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bow1, Sep 30, 2016.

1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Well it's been going for some years now but no mention of it up to now.
    I'm gonna be doing it...it's a mission of mine to get the 50!between 1 Oct and 31 Dec...been close few times.

Anyone else setting themselves this target...

Unfortunately can't upload photos but will post my catches and totals.

• Like Like x 1
  2. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Will be

sadly the bass challenge was a disaster for me, but autumn into winter codding wont be.
    Out tonight so anything past midnight counts !

3. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good luck lads i will be happy to catch 5 never mind 50

4. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Getting over enough will be my problem, that and not being very good. But hope to get some in dec

5. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good to see future reports on shore based ventures

possible.

it will be good to x-ref how year goes against inshore boat catches

of mops etc.

6. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Poor weekend.......couple trips out result one size codling

Total. A measly one

Come on lads join in!!

7. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Come on lads join in!!

will be wetting a line soon, nice to see someone trying.

venue, bait, conditions etc might help getting more interest etc.

forum bit quiet Marys club providing returns etc for insight of

early sessions.

8. bassman

bassman Administrator

Hi guys we are running a cod challenge on the Holderness site if you wish we could run on on the Whitby site on the same lines as the holderness one

Cod Challenge 2016

Forum Cod Challenge 2016

This is not a competition but a challenge , a bit of fun to encourage more reports and some interesting exchange of information and fishing adventures Running between November 1st to January 31st inclusive for all members to take part in.

Rules.1. Open to all members of the forum

2. Catch a Cod of of any size and post a report , with a picture of the Cod along with a few catch details, conditions rig and bait used

3. Post your report in the main forum and one of the admin,s will add your catch to the challenge thread.

4. Please remember all under size fish must be returned

5. Open Boundaries Good luck to all taking part

9. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Fished hw down at Newton last night with sage....
    Lovely sea but poor colour wise.

Not a sniff till darness following scale out then a daft 90 mins saw 5 fish to me and 4 to Paul....nowt massive best around 4lb...to cocktails of cart mussel and peeler..

Think it would of fished the flood but easy to get cut off on there and it started passing down...

So 6 down for me...

• Like Like x 2
  10. len29c

len29c Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

One for me Sat night from rocks at Runswick, caught right on low water. Fresh run fish but in the kelp. 3lb cart bait

Better session Sunday night. Change of venue to Boulby area. Fished for 3 hours down to low. 3 good fish all around 4lb mark. Cocktails of squid/cart/peeler

11. Sniffer

Sniffer Blenny

After missing a full winter of fishing last year I aim to get right back into the swing of things this year. For my first session of the winter I planned to fish a few hours of the ebb at Runswick on Tuesday night. However, when I got there I just didn't fancy it, so a short trip back up the coast to a beach/scar mark I hadn't fished in years but one I've been keeping an eye on the last few weeks. Nothing for the first 1.5hrs but as soon as I was able to reach the hole from the beach the bites started. I managed to pull 4 codling out in next the next hour, missing as many. They were all fresh run fish between 1lb and 2.5lb, taken on fresh blacks and frozen crab. So only 46 more to go ..... hopefully I can reduce that further tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  12. basha

basha Blenny

no targets for me just getting back into it.had a few small undersized fish from pools last wk.was out last night managed two codling,
    3lb and 2lb and a big coalie.....bloody hard work though and had to move to find.both fish returned after lipp holds only.waitinf gor the seas to drop away a tadge hopefully tuesday onwards with the winds swinging round.sea was big last night around sandsend with to much white water.

• Like Like x 1
  13. faraday

Far too much sea on for me Basha, fished near jacksons bay fri night for 2 hours and had nowt but a crab, moved to beaches till 4am and had a 2lb mop (no phone with me). 47 to go !
    i move south as tide ebbs north, must have been a half mile line of white waters surging in, all my scaur, hole marks are full of sand at present.

14. basha

basha Blenny

im thinking of hitting somewere wednesday,undecided as to were to plonk my rod.
    maybe hit the gully's around cowbar if that sea has dropped away a tadge,if not ile get a soaking lol.
    and your rite that sea has been scarey at times,a mate of mine lost his bottom section of his rod last wk down the gare only to find it washed up 2 hours later,slight damage but repairable.....should have put the lottery on.

15. Sniffer

Sniffer Blenny

Had high expectations of bagging up in Runswick last night but sadly it wasn't to be. Wanted to fish the first 3 hrs of the flood but didn't end up getting there until a couple before top. Great sea but small amounts of weed spoilt it. Managed only the 1 @ 2lb from the rock armour - 45 left. Spoke to one of the club lads who was leaving as I got there, he'd had 6 fish in 7 casts for a bag of approx 18lb.

16. basha

basha Blenny

canny bag of fish that.just had a nipp over pools for a mooch heugh was getting batterd.
    was talking to a few chaps fishing the prom along seaton,they had nowt but had a decent sesh the wk'end.

17. burtyme

burtyme Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Got off the Mark on Saturday / Sunday night in the St Marys Match with the Codling of 2lb.
    Fished the North Gare with the tide coming back in.
    Arrived about Midnight and fished for 2.5 hours off the Front with out a touch, not even small Whitings!
    Decided i needed to get a Weigh-in, so "plopped" a Squid strip bait over the side and got a Rockling 1st Drop.
    Weigh-in sorted, i went back off the Front for another couple of hours of nothing, so back down the side and
    got a Codling 1st drop, then a size Coalie 2nd Drop. Just proves we sometimes cast straight over the Fishes heads!

1 Down - 49 to Go. Out tonight to use up the Bait left from the Weekend. Fingers crossed.

18. faraday

off the mark, hopefully these seas soon will provide a few out this week...

i dont catch pigs but my biggest last year was just about 9lb with a 20yd lob

19. Sniffer

Sniffer Blenny

Had 2.5 hours on Whitby West last night in some uncomfortable conditions (squally head wind and showers). Got there bang on hw and was expecting the pier to be full after the weekends seas but there were only 1/2 dozen rods on there. Reports of only a whitey at the start of the extension and a solitary codling on the end didn't set the pulse racing. Whilst setting up in the NE corner, another codling came straight off the end and that was it until I picked up a fish of 4lb about 1.5 hours into the ebb. Finally gave up on another poor night at midnight leaving just 2 lads on the pier.

6 down - 44 to go

20. faraday

nice fish though sniffer, sounded like a tough weathered session.