1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coastguard Cuts, Selling Off Air Sea Rescue And Reduced Funding.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod, Dec 20, 2010.

1. smokey

smokey Rockling

I find that a very negative statement :suspious:
    I relie on the CG every day i am at work and knowing someone with local knowledge is only a conversation away is very comforting :yes:
    I also know they are a mobile phonecall away if i am crabbing or fishing should i come unstuck :yes:
    A lot of lads on here (and elsewhere) fish places at night with cut-off points and certain places if you get cut-off there is absolutely nowhere to go on a flooding tide :scare:
    Put yourself in this situation which is very definitely a life threatening situation,if you phone the coastguard and say i am cut off at the back of long hole,you know the Humber CG know where you are :yes:
    The extra minutes the "super center" darn sarf takes to actually find where you are could very definitely cost you your life :yes:

Addressing your point about Humber CG not knowing your local turf in Durham,like Ray said i assure you they know EVERY mark there is,after all it's their job to know :wink: :yes:

The very reason we have regional sections of the coastguard is the fact we have a very big coastline,local knowledge of each area is paramount and personally i find it disgusting that the tories will cut services which DEFINITELY save lives,while the country is on it's arse and hemmoraging (bad spelling) money at every conceivable angle :no:

2. Humber CG

Humber CG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bigrock, the Coastguard operations rooms coordinate the search and rescue response. Using your situation, angling on the Durham coast, if you got into difficulty who would you call? Probably 999 for the coastguard, which would get you through to us, Humber CG, from our local knowledge, we would be able to know from your call where you were, our local knowledge is built up from visits to our area and regular local knowledge testing. Whilst you are on the phone other colleagues are onto the most relevant units to come to your aid. From the proposed cuts, your call would be delayed whilst someone worked out where you were before a rescue was started. Did you know there were 3 Easingtons in our area, we are aware of that, would someone on the south coast??

You will find that Coastguard officers in the ops room are more passionate about the effects of those using the coast than they are on job losses as we do take pride in our job, so this is not hysteria about job losses as you quote.

The example I give you is for your situation, there are plenty more, delays for a person in the water are more time critical.

You say a phone box can be located - great but not many on the beaches, mobile phones are in more common use, they don't give exact locations as you may believe. VHF doesn't give location information and I've commented on GPS and locations before.

The proposals won't be using super technology, just upgrades to the present systems. Remember the fire control proposals, scrapped due to the lack of technology - and they work on postcodes, the coast is a different climate, the sea does not have postcodes.

Coastguards Officers in coordination centres have spent a year training and being examined in search planning and local knowledge, does that not show the importance of it?

Bigrock, we are all entitled to our opinions, would just hate for you to consider this is all some sort of hysteria over nothing.

3. Humber CG

Thanks guys, can I also point you towards the Save Humber CG petition, if it's relevant to you!

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/42196.html

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Spot on Smokey. This guy (bigrock) seems to be a serial troll and to my mind has never contributed anything but controversy to this site and is very suspicious.

5. Bigrock

Bigrock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

very nice of you foo.

Just because my opinion is different to your, does not make either one of us right or wrong.

Is asking where the rat house in sunderland a troll of the forum? is other questions asking advice?

Just because I have put some FACTS in the non fishing chat section of the forum that is against your view as a devout liebour voter does not make me a troll.

What the guy from HCG has posted on his view is all very relevant and informative. I also believe it could be done at a higher level than currently, with the same inspections, site visists and upskilling on knowledge.

The scaremongering asssociated with this issue is typical. How many people have READ the proposals in detail? To suggest the governemtn of the day is knowingly doing something which would endager lives is farcical and if people put their brains in gear and got over their political biases, they might see that.

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Bob its time to give up people feel pasionate about what they feel is right for this coast .

paul.

7. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Whatever next will this penny pinching Government come up with ?

"Delhi coastguard this is fishing vessel ~~~~~~~ can I have the latest inshore forecast for Berwick upon Tweed to Whitby please,over "

"Yes sir would that be with or without poppadoms ? "

It doesn't bear thinking about but you never know.

8. foo

Hmmm you are either very clever or totally ignorant of the workings of the CG big rock. I apologise if it is the latter and you are correct about our differing opinions, though I fail to see where my devout Labour politics come into this discussion. Or in your word "Liebour" What is that if not trolling for reaction ?
    Over 30 years ago I was introduced to the fantastic beauty of the North sea and her bounty and burden by a very close friend. The same friend was tragically lost at sea, along with a very young lad, whilst potting on a relatively calm day a couple of years later. I am sure older members of the forum and everyone involved in the fishing industry in the area remembers this tragedy.
    Around the same time the first coast guard cuts were introduced and the manned lookout station on Skinningrove jetty bank was closed and lost forever. My point here being the more local CG cuts made the greater the chance of similar tragedies being repeated. Minutes in the North sea is the difference between Life and Death simple as that. So you can introduce any political objective you may see fit But the simple FACT of life remains the same. Coast Guard cuts cost time lost in response costs lives. Simple.
    As Paul states people from the area feel very strongly about the great work the CG does and even more so people who have been directly involved with them for a variety of reasons. If you wish to argue or debate a subject fine that is your right but please pick a subject less worthy than this one as the CG needs everyones help and support at this critical time.
    They do a first class job and the north east coast would be a much more dangerous place without them. So perhaps it should be yourself in your words who "Puts his brain in gear and got over your own political bias"

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

This is a bit off topic but in Filey alone i know 10+ p1ss heads who get GIVEN over £10 a day to go to the pub and get sh1t faced by the government,all because they are registered alchies.
    Multiply this by god knows how many thousands or tens of thousands around the UK and it must amount to a few million £ a year,how the hell can the powers that be endanger lives (knowingly) and still give £millions away each year to low lifes and charity.
    Did we not quite recently give £50 million+ away to a country that fills the UK with terrorists,all because it flooded?????

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

bigrock is only on this site to peddle his political claptrap, he doesn't think about the human cost of things and is purely following his beloved tory party agenda

11. Bigrock

Foo, I am sure those working for the CG do indeed do a good job, even though noone has been able to tell me what that is.

Of course people are entitled to how their piece of coast should look and is safeguarded and I also have mine. After reading the proposals, I am afraid I don't see the lives being anymore endangered than they are now.

I do feel for those people losing their jobs, I wish there was no cuts were happenin and everything in the garden was rosy, but its not and I'll stop there as thats another subject.

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

Bigrock, you sound a right pompous old fart,you only ever rear your head when politics come into things and contribute nothing whatsoever to the fishing side.

I'm sure there is a forum on the net somewhere where you can join up and meet your old wing commander pals,this isn't the place to do it,it's a fishing forum and is better off without people like yourself.

13. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

I don`t think there`s any political biases other than your own in this thread Bigrock, most people know politicians aren`t worth the air they breath, regardless of which party they `claim` to represent. They just want to look good to the majority, which changes with every topic.

What is farcical about suggesting a government would knowingly do something that endangers lives, is that as farcical as suggesting that the government of the day are continuing to do something that not only endangers lives but also costs actual lives, which all the parties are guilty of, and yes it`s a tory led government that`s still allowing British soldiers to be killed and injured in foreign lands, how farcical is that.

14. foo

bickrock,
    Just how plain an explanation do you need ? Or is it you are that biased and opinionated you just totally negated this detailed reply from the Humber Coastguard ?

As I said PREVIOUSLY pick another topic to Troll and leave the negativity out of this one as you clearly do not need or want the CG. We not only wholly support them we actually need them.
    I just pray you never have the misfortune to actually need any help from them or anyone else for that matter in whatever asylum you live in. Get into the real world and grow up man.

15. Humber CG

I've explained what we do you have chosen to ignore so I won't be addressing you anymore.

But, come and visit and see what we do, make your mind up then!!

16. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

"Bob Crow, the general secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union, said: "This whole sordid and botched episode shows that the raw greed of the private sector should never be allowed anywhere near the life-or-death rescue services on the high seas. Millions of pounds of taxpayers' money has been wasted and the whole plan should now be scrapped, not shelved."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/08/helicopter-bid-suspended

17. Bigrock

Bob crow? Thug and vandal?

Also he has no vested interest, does he?

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Think your fighting a losing battle Bigrock. Members of coastal communities grew up with the coastguard and lifeboat lads. We live and work alongside them every day, we fully respect them and will help them fight for their jobs and our safety. Local knowledge is paramount on the coast and people from outside the area simply havent got that knowledge.

19. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Simple fact is.......if Humber Coastguard closes there are going to be an awful lot of us that will put to sea feeling much more isolated and venerable, that alone just cannot be a good thing. :sad:

Lost count of the times I've chatted casually with the guys at Bridlington, they've always known what wave i've been messing about on while paddling the sea kayak or which hole i've been fishing while sat on the sot, my vhf is always strapped to my right shoulder and water proof mobile is in my pocket with their direct number close at hand.... 9 times out of 10 i tell them when I'm out there, think they know me personally now as a bit of a muppet, wouldn't have it any other way :sad:
    ken

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!