1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coastguard Cuts, Selling Off Air Sea Rescue And Reduced Funding.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod, Dec 20, 2010.

1. hopper

hopper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

signed your petition TORIES yet again

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

This is my major concern. A lot of us fish shore, boat and kayak. Sometimes alone and sometimes in pairs or groups. If ever we came unstuck and managed to call for help I wonder if a coastguard outside of our area would have a clue where Sandsend Goat Track, Or Kettleness fillet tail is.

A large percentage of the users of this site know of the coastguard and the important role they play in keeping us all safe. Some of the lads here have served on the coastguard and some are RNLI members. Some of our site members have first hand experience of what you do, having being rescued by you guys (Ill spare a certain persons blushes and not mention the weaver fish incident). We all support the Coastguard in this fight.

Our problem is, that other than making noises on our website and signing petitions I really dont know what else to do. Normally a coastal community could turn to their MP for support in such matters, but sadly in this instance our Tory MP has pinned his colours to the conservative mast, no doubt following party policey on spending cuts at the expense of the safety of his constituents who elected him. I hope he pays for this stupid decision with his seat at the next election.

If there is any way we can help you guys at all then please do let us know. Im sure I speak for the majority here in saying that we are all very grateful for what you guys do, and I hope we can get a change of direction on this idiotic policy of money saving cuts with what is essentially an emergency service.

3. Humber CG

Humber CG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

BB
    Thank you for your support, it does keep our spirits up and means a lot. We have been told that petitions don't make a difference, but surely highlighting the problem, our backers and our existence has got to go some way. We have the same "support" from our MP - in that he is not responding to our communications at all.
    There is also the public meeting on 21 February 1900-2100 at the Bridlington Spa (not helpful for those that live a distance!), so that may be a chance to be heard too!

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well said that man :yes:

And thank you for saving my blushes :whistle: :embarrass:

Having received assistance from the RNLI/Coastguard first hand I can wholeheartedly say they do a fantastic job and deserve any support we can give.

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

HUMBER CG, is Tony Kirby Ellis still working with you lads?I had him as a tutor when i did my under 16.5 meter skippers ticket,an allround top bloke.

297 Signed up.

6. Humber CG

No he has now retired :surprise:

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

That's a shame,he was a cracking bloke with many a good yarn to tell.If you bump into him tell him the lad he left the charts for at SH was asking after him and wish him all the best from me.

8. Humber CG

Only if you've signed the petition :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

Of course :cheesy:
    I rely on you guys every day i am at work :wink:
    How come once in a while i get the inshore waters forecast from yarmouth coastguard,are you lot down McDonalds having your breakfast :whistle: :wink: :happy:

10. Humber CG

Is that from the MSI? You shouldn't?

We can't afford to go to McDonalds for breakfast :no: :no:

11. Bigrock

Bigrock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if the coastguard was called in an emergency, and they then relayed the message for the local RNLI to come and rescue - would they (the RNLI) know where to come? Do they work off GPS coordinates from the mobile device calling?

It strikes me the coastguard act as an intemediatory between the 2 and therefore local knowledge not essential in passing a message on?

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Bob people are in favour of the coastguard not aginst it.

paul.

13. Humber CG

Bigrock what if the person in difficulty does not have GPS? Does not know where they are, maybe only know a local place name? Or are not familiar to the area? We need to find out where they are using our local knowledge, that local knowledge will also automatically know which unit to send (from our heads and not taking a time searching a database for that info).

14. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

signed ... you lads do a top job :yes:

15. Mick

Mick They're out there!

All signed up - 10,000+

16. martin

martin New Member

signed up 10302

17. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

You have never looked at the big picture Bigrock. The CG is just as valuable service as the RNLI, not only do both services take part in rescues, sometimes rescues are only completed by land services, not all rescues are done from the sea. The local knowledge these guys have is better than any electronics, GPS has it`s moments but when the tourist lookouts pick up a payphone and dial 999, no amount of technical gagetry is going to decipher the directions of a confused and panicking stranger to the area.

I know it`s not the fault of the current government, that cuts need to be made, but surely there are better ways to rake back money than put lives at risk.

Maybe if MP`s had a realistic salary, say half the £65,738.00 that they receive, giving them £32,000 + expenses, the saving of £21 million could be put to better use, in fact if the MP`s were steamlined to say 1 per county, the saving could be as much as £40 million.

18. Bigrock

Bigrock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for the comments lads.

I see that no one has actually said what the coastguards do.

As I Understand these proposals, the auxiliary units will still be in place doing their patrols and it is just super regional structures for co-ordination. A phone box can be located, gps and VHF reporting can all give acurate descriptions of where the person is.

It is sad that some people will be losing their jobs over this, but I fear that's what this hysteria is, people trying to protect their jobs. I am afraid as a taxpayer, I cannot support on that and nor can I support in when i dont know what they do.

As no one has been able to tell me, I spoke to someone I know in the RNLi today and their personal feeling was it would make no difference to their rescues and didn't feel it would cost lives.

I notice baramundi bob has mentioned how would someone far away know the marks of goat track and kettleness. My point is how would someone in Humber know the Durham beaches and cliffs areas I fish currently, as I believe it is Humber coastguard who are the operating section.

Until I can understand what the guys do and the difference reducing size will make, i will not support and Im sorry if that is controversial.

19. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

He knew where Shipersea bay was which is at Easington or boaty,s bay as it used to be known. Fair comment though but it is their job to have good knowledge of many places.

20. Simon L

Simon L Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

10343 Signatures now :)