1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coastguard Cuts, Selling Off Air Sea Rescue And Reduced Funding.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod, Dec 20, 2010.

1. makaman

makaman Guest

Re: IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THE COASTGUARD CLOSEURES

theres lot ov cuts comeing next year every thing is getting chopped i bet some ov u voted tory so why all the fuss u new there was going 2 b massive cuts if theres any money left the nhs gets my vote but the coastguard do a great job lives will b lot 4 sure

2. dunlin

dunlin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Signed yesterday,even persuaded the wife to sign as well.She says she actually does want me to return whenever I go off in the boat, and here's me thinking that she preferred the life insurance policy!

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Got my signature. 3,542 where is everybody at.
    If i can sign the petition there must be many more thousands who rely on the coastguard if we are to enjoy a day down our coastline.
    You never know when you may need the coastguard so lets all get signing and get this lot in No10 to start listening to the people who live in Britain.

4. woody

woody New Member

signed !!! 3532

5. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

SORTED---3577

6. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

If you feel the need, put pen to paper and drop the chap a line. Let him know how you feel

Chief Executive
    Maritime and Coastguard Agency
    Bay 3/30
    Spring Place
    105 Commercial Road
    Southampton
    SO15 1EG

7. Bob Shotter

Bob Shotter Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I would like to go on record as a supporter of this idea.

The MCA management support it for starters and probably are best at knowing how to run the show rather than those field operatives. The idea will be tried and tested and will replace old equipment. All the fear tactics being put up against this idea are simply political because there will be a few loosing there jobs and none I have heard thus far hold any water what so ever.

Do your self a favour and have a look at the MCA view where you can have your say in the consultation which will have far more impact than a petition no mater what your view. >>>> http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home/shipsandcargoes/consultations/mcga-currentconsultations/hm_coastguard_proposals_for_modernisation_consultation_2010.htm

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12008752

The government has postponed an announcement about the sell-off of the UK's search and rescue helicopters.

Does that ring a bell this goverment would like to sell you if they could.

paul.

9. Bob Shotter

Do you have a problem with the RNLI then? They are not owned by the government.

10. halibut man

halibut man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Typical land lubbers they probably don"t know what they do

11. filey bouy

filey bouy www.fileylifeboat.co.uk

Well Bob Shotter
    Me and you are going to disagree on this one, those field operatives are the ones with the LOCAL KNOWLEDGE which can save lives quicker than somebody sat in a call centre in either Southampton or Aberdeen, which is what you will get at night on the east coast in our area. May as well go the whole hog and move it to Bombay for what good it will be in those 2 places.
    There is no new equipment as you state its the same gear they have now, All the operatives when they join are sent round gathering local knowledge of their patch, which helps when sending out resources, more responsibility will fall on the local coastguard and lifeboat teams, a person sat in Southampton with a gale of wind northerly will think its nice and calm when paging an ILB ( inshore small inflatable lifeboat0 on the East coast !! Which will result in confusion leading to time wasted and inevitably more resources being sent costing more than what it would at the moment.
    They are only saving 120 million which is probably the bar bill at the house of commons every year !!!

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

Get a grip....why all the fuss???
    Everyone knows cuts need to be made,but it shows the mind set of this shower of $hite coalition we have in.
    Save money in the right places IE sponging anchors on disability,registered alchoholics,government quangos that serve no purpose.
    If this decision go's through,the government will have blood on it's hands,,,guarenteed...

13. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sorted 3942

14. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

4154 upto now

15. titchy96

titchy96 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

16. Bob Shotter

I have no problem with your disagreeing with me Filey Bouy, none the less I have to say that the claim in your post is incarcerate, if there is no new equipment what is Digital Selective Calling (DSC)? Now that was not around in the seventies that is for sure. Not only is the proposed equipment better, it is also compatible with what is being introduced/used in other services like for example the navy who help with helicopter support.

The local knowledge is also a red hearing first do you know what percentage of Coast Guard operatives par say in the Falmouth centre are local?
    The thing to take into account is that the new computer system in the new centers will have every bit of local info written into the soft ware, a bit like a special coast guard Google.

You guys should stop worrying the long overdue changes are coming so rather than resist them why not get involved and see that every concern is looked at and remember it will be tried and tested before being put into operation.

The UK is one of the world leaders in this kind of technology so not only will it be good for the MCA but might just provide more jobs than those that will be lost because of the changes and I refer to exporting the equipment.

Unfortunately some jobs will go and I’m sorry for those affected but that is and always has been the result of progress.

17. filey bouy

filey bouy www.fileylifeboat.co.uk

Hey up
    I agree with progress for the right reasons, i know how many services are carried out at the moment via dsc calls not many, i know how many call in and say they are four miles east of staple newk for instance. do they know where that is in aberdeen 10 mins on google may find it !!
    As for your claim about their search and rescue computer being upgraded that is twaddle it cant work out tidal streams around coastal headlands ie Filey Brig and Flamborpugh Head ask anyone in the MCA they will agree all them i have spoken too that comes down to local knowledge it dont matter if the watch officer is local to a station, part of there training is to visit all the area they cover gathering local knowledge,
    All it boils down to saving is 5 million a year over the next 25 years the amount you could lose is immense i use the water quite a lot and have done for the last 35 years and always feel assured that the coastguard i contact when needed knows where i am and what i need when i need it i dont think for one minute the service will be the same as provided now so to me that is a step backwards the first life lost through this will be remembered and like all governments they will walk away scott free, lets hope its not yours or mine .

18. SandTiger

SandTiger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

And your knowledge of this system stems from where?

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

And heres the thoughts of our local Tory MP

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news/local/coastguard_fears_over_service_cuts_1_2874891

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

So you have 3 government funded organisations. One saves lives, one tells anglers they damage fish stocks and another proposes endless research and a network of completely pointless marine conservation zones.

1. The Marine Coastguard
    2. Natural Flaming England
    3. Net Gain (Jobs for the boys and x-trawlermen guilty of illegal fishing)

Which one gets the cuts