1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coarse Stillwater Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, May 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bucko

bucko New Member

I meant to add this a while ago but please post your stillwater coarse reports here.
    Bait, match, predator- all welcome.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Ascott Ponds, thornaby water.. 2 trips so far.. 1st - BLANK .. 2nd - 2 tiny Perch. Rumour has it that they have been Ottered out! :sad:

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Seems to be becoming more commonplace of late.
    I saw some pictures of one in a garden in Marton last month.

Cheers for the report though and these northerlies on the way might see a few more anglers on the stillwaters.

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Fished Dromonby last Thursday, but forgot to take some meat, just maggot, so it was a three inch roach a chuck. So i nipped into Stokesley for some meat which resulted in bigger roach, then the carp turned up to test the laggy of my pole. Ended up with about half a dozen or so, and a few tench.

5. LEONFR

LEONFR New Member

My son goes to kirby nearly every week and he was told there had been otters in the first lake there as well.

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Which pond were you one dave, i got 4 on the middle pond but Had to fish on the back side of the middle pond into open water due to the wind.
    I prefer to fish into the margins up there

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

The middle one Dan. I fished behind the island. The first pond was fishing really well, when i had a walk round it prior to leaving. Well done on the fish mate.

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

I usually fish the first one dave, had some nice fish out of it but i assumed they would be spawning

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

I didnt see any spawning while i had a mooch around it Dan, but i must give it a go sometime, as it does seem to throw up some decent fish.

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

I fished Turlwick Pond last Wednesday for the first time, and i must say, i think its going to be one of my favourite fisheries in the future, because, its most probably the closest water i've found that resembles old Poole Hospital lake. Only smaller. Anyway, when i managed to take my eyes off the lake and look at my float, i ended up with a few decent bream to just under 3lb, a few palm size roach and some small perch that fought like hell. Not bad considering ii was only there a few hours.

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

HAd some good bags and fish out of there, up to 10lbs fishing in the margins with corn. Have you tried whitehouse farm, dug a new pond at the back and its full of 8 oz tench and small carp, some lovely big ide too but its a bit snaggy

12. Davo

Davo Rockling

No mate i haven't, although, i've meant to the last few seasons, but just havent got round to it. Theres some big tench in one of the lakes there, i've been told.

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

Just had a couple of hours at Turlwick, but nothing much to report, just loads of small perch and couple of decent roach.

14. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I had a go up on Turlwick a couple of weeks ago Dave but the pond was generally switched off, there was 9 or 10 fishing it and only 4 bream caught, me and my lad had plenty of nice rudd and some quality roach as well as the usual perch, no tench showed that day but it was a poor SE wind

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

Now Bri

Sounds like you had a decent day regardless of the conditions-well done. Only fished it twice, but according to a few lads there, its fishing ok. The couple of times i've been there, i've noticed the swims on the far right bank seem to be fishing the best, for decent sized fish anyway. I'm hoping to get a few decent tench out, but with the rivers due to open, it might just have to wait.

Just got back from fishing Halnaby for the first time, and ended up with loads of small perch, a decent size eel, and i lost what seemed like a good sized roach, but i only fished maggot, so wasnt expecting much more than that. More of a recce really. There were plenty of carp moving down the dam wall end.

16. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fished Halnaby about 3 weeks ago, got skimmers roach and perch some decent fish among them but as soon as the sun got strong and overhead the fishing died, its about 4ft deep so best fished on an overcast day if you can, according to those there it has been fishing well

17. trout and salmon

trout and salmon a silver salmon would be nice

whitby club went to wykeham match lake on sunday 12 members fished 9 of which did not have a single bite all day. 6 small carp came out to the other 3 lads. it use to be full of silver fish think 2 skimmers came out and a couple of roach. as he is loosing 2 of the lakes at the end of the year think he must have netted it out.

18. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

over the winter my son Lee and I have walked past 2 old overgrown square sewerage ponds on several occasions whilst taking the whippet and ferrets for a walk :whistle:... each time we pass Lee says " dad i wonder if there are fish in there"... each time i answer " i dont know, we will look later"..... so far we have never looked!!

earlier this week i got a text message off him asking if i could get some maggots for him on the way home from work... nothing strange about that ... he likes his fishing..

when i got home he was waiting, float rod set up with a small waggler and a holdall with shot, hooks, disgorger etc... he was travelling light..

" dad you should see all the fish topping in those concrete ponds at doggie"...... ( doggie = the local name for west cornforth)..

the ponds are overgrown, surrounded by hawthorn bushes and mostly fenced off... there are signs warning of "cold deep water" but nothing saying no fishing... :wink: :wink:

we went over about 7pm and loose fed a few maggots in... the water litterally bubbled with fish activity after a few minutes... each free offering of about a dozen maggots quickly vanished before the sank out of view...

first cast with a size 16 baited with double maggot ..the float never even settled.. Lee lifted into the bite and it produced a scale perfect roach with great colouring about 6oz.. long but skinny...
    each cast after that was a repeat of the first cast... it was a fish a cast.. all identical, in fact you would think he was catching the same fish over and over...

suddenly after catching well over 30 of these small perfect roach it went dead..... even the loose fed maggots just disappeared into the depths.... then slowly his float moved along instead of under.... Lee lifted into the bite.... and all hell let loose...

imagine standing on a foot wide ledge ... a five foot drop on one side and a two foot drop into the water on the other surrounded by overhanging hawthorn trees.. playing a big fish that wanted to get into all obstacles possible...

the fish finally tired after a while and the only problem was the water level was two foot below where we stood...so i held the rod while lee leaned over and grabbed the fish.....

[​IMG]

talk about big fish and little ponds..... its his biggest ever perch... we had no scales..so dont know the weight ... the picture is not the best cos it was took with my phone.. so guestamates are welcome please... Lee takes a size 9 goalkeeper glove and his jacket is a large just a bit info for a scale also he isnt holding the fish forward for the picture its quite close to his chest as you can tell by his bent elbows .... wish i had put something in the picture as a better referance...

we are planning another trip to see if there are more of the same stamp....
    cheers
    Paul

19. bucko

bucko New Member

There aren't many fish that look as impressive as a good perch- well done.

20. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

here's another picture from the same pond but a different night.... me with a nice roach from there.... loads of that size as well... it was a night on the sweetcorn... even taking perch on corn!!
    [​IMG]