1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clives Pics ?

Discussion in 'Clives Pictures' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Clive. How did you get the sparkly bits on this image ? The bits in the water and along the top of the fish.

[​IMG]

Is that a natural effect or photoshopped ? Its an excellent effect. Is it possible to recreate with a standard camera ?

2. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Glenn, The effect is called flare. Normally you try and avoid it, but in this case it adds artistic value.

Flare is caused by stray light that bounces off the surfaces of the lens rather than being directed through it by the various lens elements. There can be 12 or more pieces of glass in a decent lens and at least three in most compact cameras. You usually get flare when shooting into a light source like the sun. It often shows as a series of octagonal highlights, the octagon shape being formed by the leaves of the aperture blades or shutter. Grease or condensation on your lens surface may also result in a different type of flare which shows up as a foggy or misty area in the photograph.

All this can be created at will by using filters in front of the lens or experimenting with artificial aids like vaseline smeared over the lens or by breathing on it to create condensation.

The best way to avoid unwanted flare is to keep your lens clean and use a lens shade in strong light. You can shade your lens using a cap or book or whatever comes to hand. As long as the front of the camera is in shadow you shouldn't experience flare.

To get that effect on the trout shot I used fill-in flash (sometimes called daylight synch flash or slow synch flash). One of the effects you have of pointing your camera at light is that the camera will close down the exposure just as your pupil would contract to reduce the light passing through. On a photograph this often results in silhouettes as the exposure is calculated for the bright background leaving the foreground in shade. If the subject is within flash range, as this was, you can activate the flash to illuminate the area that would have been rendered too dark. The trick is to get the balance right.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thanks for the explanation Clive. Sounds like its not within the scope of my Camera.

I keep trying to learn how to do these things with photoshop but its bloody complicated.

4. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Glenn,
    You can achieve a sparkle effect with any camera just by pointing it at sunlit water. The monochrome shot of Roxby Beck was taken with a five quid thirty year old film camera.

Slow synch flash might be called 'Night Portrait' mode on some cameras.

Dependent on the version of PS you can create artificial flare by going to Filter > Render > Lens Flare.

You can create multiple highlights using this tool.

5. langy

langy Rockling

cracking fish m8 :happy:

6. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

I didn't catch it. I was the idiot behind the camera all day. Never got a cast let alone a fish. :cry: