1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLIFF FISHING - Poles, Flying Gaffs And General Info

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rizla, Dec 11, 2008.

1. rizla

rizla Blenny

i've never done any cliff fishing but ,have seen the photos' and read the posts and to be honest the photos' scared me to death,especially the one in the snow. i just wanted to ask a couple of questions because i can''t imagine ever doing it.sounds daft i know but how far are you from the cliff edge and how do you prevent the line from rubbing on the rock when you're reeling in? does the cliff have to be sheer to prevent this happening?how far back from the edge do you stand when retrieving a fish and do you take any safety measures?

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: cliff fishing

You have to get close to the edge to wind your line up, your probably only a foot from the edge, you don't want too much of an overhang, with a large fish you need a pole to keep the line clear of the edge - as for safety - know your ground, a good light, good footwear, and keep off the sauce :whistle:

[​IMG]

3. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

lol stand on the edge or few feet back, or as safe as you feel. we use a pole to keep the line rub when you got a decent fish on but not needed when just winding up

4. rizla

rizla Blenny

hi,thanks for the replies. do you just give a short cast and how long is the pole?

5. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

:scare: :scare: i went dizzy looking at them pics :laugh: :vomit: but i think it would be fun to try and if u dont like it go some where else you will not know if you dont try it..

nice picture

6. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Cliff fishing is the best. Nothing like standing on the cliffs in summer catching fish.

7. robq

robq Rockling

Hope you hav'nt been messing about with ropes there again Quint !! :scared: :scared:

8. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

I think the ethos of cliff fishing is great, I have tried it several times along our coast using a pole etc. That said i have never got my head around it as i am s--t scared of heights! I envy those who do. That is why my preferred option now is to kayak or boat fish. had to laugh in October while bobbing along Bempton when someone radioed me and reminded me to look up as I was a bit close to the cliffs! Good luck to those that do my next time I may try like this :blindfold: :blindfold: :blindfold: :blindfold: !

9. kirkby lad

kirkby lad New Member

i'm with you on this one rizla, can't get my head round how the pole works :confused:

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The pole works by when you get a fish on and get to the point where the fish going to be lifted up the cliff rather than the retrieve part still in the water,it can be a reet effort hauling a decent fish up the cliffs so some of the regular cliff anglers,and in particular the Bempton anglers,have made poles that usually have a pulley or wheel on the end and at the other end a flat plat or anchor point.So when the lifting of th fish begins...and even mops feel like they are twice the actual weight when hauling them 300+ ft up....the rod tip is lowered near to the pully so that the line runs on the pulley or wheel,the pole is then pushed out until well out from the cliff and then either crank away or sometimes the rod is placed on the ground the butt stood on and the fish hand balled up,a mate or nearest angler helping ssometimes by standing on the plate to stop the pole dropping over the edge.
    I ve seen some good ones at Flamborough and Bempton,one even with a net under the pulley so that when the fish is at the top and at most risk of dropping the net is raised with a remote pull cable and the fish is safe with a net under it. The poles are of varying lengths some 30ft or so.

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The poles reach out further than a rod will giving you a little more clearance from the cliffs but at the likes of Bempton the fish will still be against the cliff usually. The main reason for the pole is to take the weight of the fish off your rod and transfer it onto the pole. The downside to fishing cliffs at anytime, but more so now is that big fish are often lost but a pole certainly increases your chances of landing one. It,s a 2 man job really too. When you get the fish to the bottom of the cliff the pole is pushed out ideally by a 2nd party. In doing so he guides the pulley on the end of the pole under the line, pushes the pole out as far as possible then sits on the end of the pole. You then reel up the fish with the majority of the weight of the fish on the pole and your reel. When the fish comes to the top the pole and your rod is swung in together. There are various variations but that is basicly it.

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Ive on just started fishing the cliffs this winter but i think it is great, yet to catch anything big but it beats piers hands down :yes:

Like the signature Ray :laugh:

13. rizla

rizla Blenny

thanks for explaing it,i have a much clearer idea now. can't fault the courage of those who do it but,after seeing the pics i think i'll give it a miss.great pics,thanks.

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

we have a few fixed base pulleys where we can just slide the pipe on
    when we get the fish to the cliff top we pull on a rope which is fixed to the pipe
    the pipe lifts into a vertical position before laying on the floor in the back position
    works a treat and you if need be do it is difficult on your own

15. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Does anyone still use those contraptions which incorporate a bike wheel?

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

We do also but the the nature of the cliffs at Bempton can make it quite difficult in most places. If you look at the picture the cliffs have a sloping grassed area which you need to get as near as you dare to the edge. Although the cliffs look fairly sheer on the pic if you hold something straight from the bottom of the ciff I would estimate it as being about 30ft of slope from top to bottom with cracks and ledges etc. Many a time we've had to manouvre the pole around to try and free the fish which is something a pole in a fixed posistion will not allow you to do. Most people share poles too and don't always fish in exactly the same place.

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Not in the same league as having a pole....but the old tripod as a fixed base for the rod to rest on then ank has worked for fish to 6lb.....wouldn t like to try to haul a real pig though without a pole !!
    Obviously needs to be from one of the more sheer spots as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is something very peaceful about late summer cliff top fishing especially at Flamborough....pure magic !

[​IMG]

18. robq

robq Rockling

Nice pics Dave :yes: It reminds me that we hav'nt been up on the tops this year much !! probably due to the bloody wind :evil:

19. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bloody hell lads, looks like an invitation to the reaper standing up there! wouldnt trust that grass on the tops if it were wet, long way down

20. robq

robq Rockling

probably not as bad as it looks Ben !! However there is no getting away from the fact that it has its risks and is not for everyone :surprise: :surprise:

I am not keen on tops and and am always abit windy near the edge!! i would rather abseil down and fish from the bottoms but each to their own !!

Rob